Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be honest here

It is probably a tie. I get about 3 hours in my shop most days before the fatigue wins and I'm destined for my recliner the balance of the day. I'm forever grateful to the team that put my cancer in remission 6 years ago, but the fatigue definitely has reduced my shop time.

My answer is that I'm not in the shop enough at all. Much of the time it's "life in general", but currently, I've been recovering from wrist surgery that precludes any kind of lifting. So the time I've been out there has been spent on things like sharpening, organization and machine maintenance. Hopefully, I'll be out there more often the remainder of the year and that's what Professor Dr SWMBO wants, too, because she knows it helps to clear my head from everything that's on my plate. Examples, dealing with a mentally ill family member and being a good "seeing eye husband" and taking care of everything because of The Professor's health issues.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Like Doug in New Westminster above, my garage workshop is too cold at the moment too work safely despite having 2 commissions to do.
    That and life: shopping, chores, transporting plus @ 79, I still work 3 on-call jobs.
    But I REALLY need to get to work ........
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

It's become a daily habit on the way to work or during my down time. Around 1-2 hrs a day 😅

Blog Entries
    I work full time + doing construction and remolding. I usually spend more sorting through the mess that my business creates than I do being creative in the shop. I try to limit my screen time to an hour a day. I have a nice warm shop and no construction work for the next several weeks. The shop is tidy. I spent 12 hours out there yesterday. : )
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    does watching Red Green on you tube while in the shop count?
    It counts for me! Mom never allowed a TV in the house. Dad has one in the shop. A brilliant tactic for getting his kids and grandkids out there.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I’m on this site about 15-30 minutes a day and about 2 hours a day in the shop. I’m retired and a hobbyist so I’d do more shop time if there were fewer “life in general” responsibilities.

It's too cold in the garage/shop so I'm shut down until about March.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

It goes in spurts. Here in Colorado Springs, it can be -12 on day and in the 50s the next day. If it isn't too fridgid, and I have a project to work on, I'll spend a lot of time woodworking. If it's fridgid and/or I'm not involved in a project, not so much. But it sure is nice having my tools when I want them. Decades ago I could only dream of owning my own cabinet saw, jointer and band saw.

Absolutely, and you can be an honourary Canadian as well

Quando omni flunkus moritati

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    How many spend more time on woodworking forums than working in the shop?
    Hi Jon, now that I’m retired, I spend much more time in the shop, which is really nice.

In order to motivate myself further I’ve added this count down clock to let me know the approximate number of possible shop days left in the year, taking into account the number of fixed commitments I’ve made.

IMG_2456.jpg

At the end of this year I’ll report back on whether it helped or I’m still a chronic under achiever��

Regards, Rod

I was very avid woodworker for years. Almost every day in the shop. My 94 year old mother lived with me and as time gone on, all shop time I started spending with her. She just passed away a few weeks ago and hope to get back into my shop. My shop has set idle for about 10 years.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave, very sad for your loss. I hope that you can get some peace from getting back to an activity you love. I suspect your mom would approve.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dave, my sincere condolences on the loss of your mother……..Regards, Rod.