Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: YouTube crazies

here is a stellar guy showing good jointer technique. My hope that no one ever sees this that didnt learn or have logic to get how wrong this in a number of ways

asdfatt.JPG

Here left hand fingers pointed down is why I would never do this, ive done this enough times left hand is turned sideways and the outside ball of my hand is holding the material down on the outfeed. His fingers are just presented for removal if anything goes wrong. Id have to see what I do on the machines likely hand dampened and I push more with heal of my hand just know id never point my fingers down like this
    9A.jpg

Likely Sam from SCM to me this shows how futile guards are at times. It sticks out it in the way. The board passed over the knives is safe, the board is the guard same as a pork chop guard in a way. Pushing with the right hand that way is set up to fail, as soon as he slips one time and it ends up in the cutter head. The chance I would work like this is less than zero.

Get the guard out of the way. run your material through and the push stick set it on the heal of the board, either pushing with it from the start or added at the end in the case of a longer board. Push stick sitting on top in the case of this length of board.
    gfhjj.JPG

I wouldn't work like any of those.

I did some woodwork on the interior of a sailboat for a hand surgeon a long time ago, he told be that someone ran their hand over a jointer, like the guy in the first picture, and filleted all of the bones out.

Why would anyone run a 3 X 4" piece of plywood over a jointer in the first place? There is no safe way to that, and if you've got something that size that isn't flat, the way to flatten is it with a disc or stationary belt sander, hand working it on sandpaper on a flat platen, or with a hand plane.

Agree on the second picture. Definitely not the way to use a jointer. Personally, I strongly prefer to use heavy duty push pads, particularly for any board narrower than 6".

I think some people who don’t use machines are mesmerized by seeing the spinning
    blades as they seem to be beckoning water. I watch for Nymphs ! Once saw a lovely
    one walk right into the shop !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    All three of those photos have so much wrong going on that it would take an hour to write it all down.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I was 20 something when I got a 3x21 Craftsman belt sander. I didn't use it that often but it was always there when needed. It didn't take long before I gouged my first piece of wood and learned what not to do. A few years ago something broke inside and the belt wouldn't track properly. Also the rubber on the drive roller was hard as a rock and the belts would slip. Nothing kills a belt quicker than it slipping and overheating. I decided that I rarely used it so I wasn't going to replace it. That lasted about 6 months. I ended up buy a Harbor Freight 4x24 one and it's worked out just fine for me. I guess if you've never used one then you don't know what you are missing. But once you have one and no longer do you will feel lost.

I made a curved top chest. I don't know how to do that without either using the CNC router or a belt sander to shape the top. A ROS would have taken forever. My first electric ROS (which i still have) is a Porter Cable one that looks like a 4 1/2" disc grinder with a dial on the rear to adjust the speed. It's big and heavy but, like a lot of good tools, has lasted for decades.

Perhaps simplistic, but I see two schools on YT. The first is the one who has something to offer and wants to educate, expecting nothing in return. They are a small minority these days. I still go hunting for them, but am more likely to come up with the second group. These are would-be TV stars. It just happens that their stage is a woodshop. The set is all important, and either (or both) green and red are favourite decorative colours. What I find amazing is how many post the same topics, as though there is a fashion subject. catchy titles are the click bait. Very, very few present furniture. Generally, one joint will exhaust them.

I understand that a seasoned pro with hard-won skills and experience must look at this and feel outraged by the deception and theft of their professional name. As an amateur, having worked for 30 years, first with crappy tools until, eventually, these could be ungraded, and all the while building and building ... I feel resentment that they have not paid their dues. Of course, click bait has its pay off - tool sponsors.

The scientist in me is aghast at the lack of research. How else does one explain the lack of "obvious" knowledg, the poor technique and the apparently "newly devised methods". They do not know what they do not know.

But there are some nuggets in the rough, and this is why we return.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Perhaps simplistic, but I see two schools on YT. The first is the one who has something to offer and wants to educate, expecting nothing in return. They are a small minority these days. I still go hunting for them, but am more likely to come up with the second group. These are would-be TV stars. It just happens that their stage is a woodshop. The set is all important, and either (or both) green and red are favourite decorative colours. What I find amazing is how many post the same topics, as though there is a fashion subject. catchy titles are the click bait. Very, very few present furniture. Generally, one joint will exhaust them.

I understand that a seasoned pro with hard-won skills and experience must look at this and feel outraged by the deception and theft of their professional name. As an amateur, having worked for 30 years, first with crappy tools until, eventually, these could be ungraded, and all the while building and building ... I feel resentment that they have not paid their dues. Of course, click bait has its pay off - tool sponsors.

The scientist in me is aghast at the lack of research. How else does one explain the lack of "obvious" knowledg, the poor technique and the apparently "newly devised methods". They do not know what they do not know.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Very well said Derek, I agree 100%

"The Other Jewish Carpenter" on Lincoln Street Woodworks recently posted a video debunking some the advice common on YouTube. So, maybe there is hope for humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    "The Other Jewish Carpenter" on Lincoln Street Woodworks recently posted a video debunking some the advice common on YouTube. So, maybe there is hope for humanity.
    Pat, without wanting to be inflammatory, what is meant by the phrase "The Other Jewish Carpenter"? This could be a very antisemitic comment.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I think you have way oversimplified it. Yes there are some who are just offering to educate others without wanting anything in return. But that breaks down into some who really know what they are doing and know how to educate and entertain and have enough skill in videography to make entertaining and educational videos. Then there are those that are trying to make educational and entertaining videos, have the skills and knowledge in woodworking but no clue how to present it in an entertaining and clearly educational way. In every field there are people who are pure geniuses at doing what they do but couldn't teach anyone how to tie their shoelaces.
    Then there are those who have no clue that what they are presenting is wrong and dangerous. Luckily many of them also have no clue how to entertain or produce a professional looking video so they get few views and thus are less dangerous but there are some who are entertaining and make professional looking videos with dangerous content and therefore are dangerous.
    There are also some who are capable of making entertaining and sometimes educational videos and chose to make a living doing so. To me that is no different from someone who choses to make a living as a performer on TV such as an actor, athlete or news correspondent, or an author making their living selling books or magazine articles or even a teacher Yes they often use tricks like clickbait titles but that is more the fault of Youtube which uses algorithms to select what you see.

What do you really expect for free?

Many seem to expect way more than they are paying for.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Pat, without wanting to be inflammatory, what is meant by the phrase "The Other Jewish Carpenter"? This could be a very antisemitic comment.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Wow, so sorry. I didn't mean it to be anti-Semitic at all. Rather, we all know there was Jewish carpenter who is very well known throughout the world. I'm just being silly by suggesting this other Jewish carpenter is also known throughout the world. (He really is Jewish and I really like him.)

[QUOTE=Derek Cohen;3301012]Pat, without wanting to be inflammatory, what is meant by the phrase "The Other Jewish Carpenter"? This could be a very antisemitic comment.

It’s good to be careful about what is posted , but there is nothing InSINdery about an allusion to a well known figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Wow, so sorry. I didn't mean it to be anti-Semitic at all. Rather, we all know there was Jewish carpenter who is very well known throughout the world. I'm just being silly by suggesting this other Jewish carpenter is also known throughout the world. (He really is Jewish and I really like him.)
    All good, Pat.

Regards from Perth

Derek