Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: YouTube crazies

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    There are too many DIYers making no so useful videos putting incorrect knowledge in new woodworkers
    True. The ones who give poor advice, annoy me. The ones who give dangerous advice or demonstrate operations in a dangerous way make me truly angry. You have a level of responsibility when you are conveying information regarding potentially dangerous activities.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Funny part is many of the makers of the woodworking videos don’t participate on the forums. I assume they get payed for the hits? There are a couple of woodworkers using woodworking forums to “pimp” their YouTube , yet don’t participate on anything else on the woodworking sites.

Hey I just created a new jig. Come to YouTube and tell me what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    True. The ones who give poor advice, annoy me. The ones who give dangerous advice or demonstrate operations in a dangerous way make me truly angry. You have a level of responsibility when you are conveying information regarding potentially dangerous activities.
    That's the part that gets me the most.
    also
    You typically see tons of fawning comments under any of these videos because they don't know any better, makes me sick.

Reading through the replies in this thread it seems that if you are making rail and style doors you need a belt sander. I posit here that this is not what a typical starter would do in their shop. I would agree with the you tuber on this one - a ROS is more useful in more types of projects that newbies would venture into. I've had a belt snader in my shop for over 25 years, but would not recommend one to someone looking to buy their first tools.
    It's how big?

4x24 Makita probably over 40 years old, done a ton of work, both wood and metal with it, fine woodwork , not a problem if you learn how to use it. I also use scotchbrite type belts on it. wouldn't be without it.

28CK57_AS01.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave graves View Post
    Reading through the replies in this thread it seems that if you are making rail and style doors you need a belt sander. I posit here that this is not what a typical starter would do in their shop. I would agree with the you tuber on this one - a ROS is more useful in more types of projects that newbies would venture into. I've had a belt snader in my shop for over 25 years, but would not recommend one to someone looking to buy their first tools.

The YouTuber is suggesting you never use a belt sander.

I can’t imagine doing face frames with a ROS without touching up with a belt sander..

I've built some face frames, though not many, and never used a belt sander on them. I have one but only use it very occasionally, while the ROS gets used all the time. I do use a couple of stationary belt sanders very often, but the handheld one is something I have only used for things like sanding a floor, or other rough kinds of work.

Blog Entries
    I’ve done thousands of face frames. Back in the day there weren’t any wide belts and if you didn’t have one you had to sand. My first time to use a belt sander was to sand face frames in 1983 with a Craftsman belt sander. . I had to learn it or find the door home..

Do you spend as much time posting in the comment sections of said videos as you do complaining about them here on the forum?

Just curious.

What's the deal with the almost exclusively positive comments to Youtube videos, even for the marginal ones?

I like Amazon reviews better- folks tell it like it is, even if that is that they cannot read instructions or product descriptions.

Blog Entries
    Rarely watch YouTube because of their lack of actual knowledge.

I guess the people who protect woodworking YouTube videos need them

Rarely watch YouTube because of their lack of actual knowledge.
    Hard to believe that, given the amount of griping about them you've been doing lately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    Hard to believe that, given the amount of griping about them you've been doing lately.
    If it bothers you , move on. You’re not required to reply. I’m not gripping about a lot of YouTube but some of amateur woodworkers trying to tell others what they need and don’t.

you say I’m griping, . You make two
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-21-2024 at 5:17 PM.

why pick Jack out ive picked on more of them than him. Then schools as well, education system who should have their stuff together more than the movie stars.

Ah yes. Boomers united