Thread: Comatic auto resaw feeder on small bandsaw

Comatic auto resaw feeder on small bandsaw

i have a MM16. i want to put a resaw feeder on. the models with the automatic pressure and the roller fence are very appealing, but i fear they won't fit on a saw this small. anyone have a thought? thanks.

https://www.shopgearinc.com/products...2HP-p494913981

-- dz

Just looking at the specs and picture, 8+" inches from blade to fence plus 8" of shaft plus the locking collar tells me it's made for a bigger saw, plus 176# hanging off that table on a 530# saw... My old employers have one on a 24" saw and it is a beast. Looks like the AF06 would fit, but that's not really what you want. Either lower your expectations or look for a larger saw.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-16-2024 at 10:41 PM.

A Little Proteus power feeder works great for resawing on a small tabled band saw. Weighs about 15 pounds. I'm a little biased I admit. I've never experimented with a roller fence, as I've had great results without it. A waxed formica or even sanded hardwood surface is low friction.
    Last edited by al ladd; 01-16-2024 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Just looking at the specs and picture, 8+" inches from blade to fence plus 8" of shaft plus the locking collar tells me it's made for a bigger saw, plus 176# hanging off that table on a 530# saw... My old employers have one on a 24" saw and it is a beast. Looks like the AF06 would fit, but that's not really what you want. Either lower your expectations or look for a larger saw.
    i'm not at all opposed to upgrading my bandsaw. frankly, the MM16 does just fine for almost everything i need. when i resaw, it's a bit annoying - more power, and a feeder, would be wonderful.

I have the same saw and have done more than a little hand-fed veneer resawing on it and other saws. From what I am told by my old workmates the powerfeed you are looking at on their 24" SCMI saw reduces cleanup on the widebelt considerably. The larger saws are better scaled to the larger feeders, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I have the same saw and have done more than a little hand-fed veneer resawing on it and other saws. From what I am told by my old workmates the powerfeed you are looking at on their 24" SCMI saw reduces cleanup on the widebelt considerably. The larger saws are better scaled to the larger feeders, go figure.
    yeah my gut feel is to talk to sam about an MM24, and upgrade. these things hold their value so well that i don't mind the cost. thanks for the feedback kevin (as always).

An alternative to a new saw if that's required is to make an auxiliary stand for the feeder that can be security fastened to the saw table when the feeder is going to be used. That also means you can roll it away for work that doesn't require the feeder if the machine is not dedicated to resaw/feeder use. But if a larger machine is possible, it's going to be better suited for serious resaw use anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    An alternative to a new saw if that's required is to make an auxiliary stand for the feeder that can be security fastened to the saw table when the feeder is going to be used. That also means you can roll it away for work that doesn't require the feeder if the machine is not dedicated to resaw/feeder use. But if a larger machine is possible, it's going to be better suited for serious resaw use anyway.
    jim there's no doubt that whatever approach i take i need to be able to remove the feeder, or get it out of the way. that's a consideration. my current thinking is to upgrade the bandsaw, and buy the automatic resaw feeder, and mount it with a removable approach. not an inexpensive approach, but probably the right one for my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    jim there's no doubt that whatever approach i take i need to be able to remove the feeder, or get it out of the way. that's a consideration. my current thinking is to upgrade the bandsaw, and buy the automatic resaw feeder, and mount it with a removable approach. not an inexpensive approach, but probably the right one for my shop.
    There's a guy on the 'Tube I recently posted about who does a ton of bent lamination work. He uses a resaw feeder for getting good consistency. I believe it's mounted on a cart that he can wheel up to his big bandsaw if my memory is correct which as you indicate is important, allows for it to be stored away. That was the inspiration for my previous. That was actually the first time I saw a "resaw" oriented feeder and I think it's a very neat thing. It sounds like a bigger saw plus the feeder is in your future!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There's a guy on the 'Tube I recently posted about who does a ton of bent lamination work. He uses a resaw feeder for getting good consistency. I believe it's mounted on a cart that he can wheel up to his big bandsaw if my memory is correct which as you indicate is important, allows for it to be stored away. That was the inspiration for my previous. That was actually the first time I saw a "resaw" oriented feeder and I think it's a very neat thing. It sounds like a bigger saw plus the feeder is in your future!
    i think it's a worthwhile investment. and i love the idea of a roll-up cart that houses the feeder, and bolts to the table. that's smart. i'll have an aigner rail on that side of the table, i bet i could rig it to clamp to the rail.

Yes, fabricating up a clamping method would be nicer than having to bolt and un-bolt it.
    --