Thread: Nova jaw - channels on bottom

Nova jaw - channels on bottom

What's the reason for the two channels on the bottom of Nova jaws? They aren't necessary for the jaw to register on the chuck. You could just have the one raised rib. See picture:

IMG_5669.jpg

Looks a lot like my Oneway Talon jaw. For the Oneway, the locating is not really the grooves, the hump between the channels is prouder than any other part of that surface which I assume makes it the locating mechanism. Didn't have the ambition to take one off a chuck to look.

Didn't remove a jaw yet, but I believe the SuperNova Chuck pins have 2 tracks to hold the jaw.

My bet would be saw dust and other debris might build up around the edges of the boss/rib and mess with the fit. The grooves help alleviate it.

The countersink of the screws does the locating. The outer groove may be for some step in the manufacturing process. I could see the back side of the jaws machined first, then moved to a magnetic chuck locating on the 2 grooves. Last step is cutting the 4 jaw pieces apart.

Both Nova and Vicmarc chucks use two locating rings for the jaws.

I have half a dozen of each and both are very good chucks. Vicmarc came after Nova and they could have gone with just one ring, but they didn't, so it must be a good idea to have the two, for whatever reason, which I've never felt the need to understand.

Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...