Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese carving knives

1. Quote Originally Posted by Haitham Jaber View Post
    Yes that video was invaluable. I looked at how they reversed the blade also. thank you
    I bought them, they're really lightweight and comfortable in the hands

I don't know if it's bamboo or not but I would like to put some tung oil on some of them
    and some walnut oil followed by walnut wax on others to protect them from water when I sharpen them

What do you think?

This is the video on how they forge them. It's Blue Paper Steel type II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDcY28auCy4&t=1s

I don't know yuo guys but I respect and love japanese culture and how they tenaciously preserve their tradition still innovating

Regards
    HJ
    "What do you think?"

I think the knives being used in the videos were kept functionally sharp, and used for hours on end every week by craftsmen whose hands showed it.

They were not sharpened and then put in a rack unused so the sharpener could proclaim his or her expertise as a tool sharpener rather than a tool user. There are no doubt people who could sharpen those knives within a micron of their life and have zero clue how to use them, and never build anything of note with them, much less use them to get sets of chairs out the door every week.

Yes, you need to know how to sharpen. It shouldn't become an end in itself.
    Last edited by Charles Edward; 01-20-2024 at 2:47 PM.

Dear Edward,

With all the respect with your help and your listening to my doubts, I don't agree with either your assertions.

1. Being my set of knives hand or not hand forged it doesn't matter that much to me. Hikuachi makes original knives for 220 dollars each and they
    might be the one in the video. My idea, would it be romantic or not, considering also the fact that I don't feel ashamed of being "romantic", in the means of living the things with deep passion and admirating the tradition, I still think that the way in many corners of Japan, the most, but also America, Russia and little forgotten corners of Italy France or whatever you want, there is still some respect and attention to our past as something that enriches our experience. Well that is not, for me, merely romantic but a way of living. But I'm still opened to your opinions because my point of view shouldn't be considered as conservative but opened to the past the future and the present. You can then attach any category to my point of view but you will not be able to flatten it in just the two dimensions of a word, because it's deeper and I can write for hours if you want

2. I like to sharpen and I consider it part of the beauty of the crafts. But that's my personal way of living the crafts. I don't have to demonstrate anything to nobody. That's just what I like. So I may sharpen something just to enjoy sharpening or sharpen in a hurry because I need to go back to the bench. It depends on how my soul is vibrating at the moment

Regards,
    Haitham
    We get lost in the over-building and perfect material arguments that sometimes we simply loose sight of the making (Tom Fidgen)

I have planes that are more modern, factory made, that work very well, and concede only some vibe, patina, and saw cuts to their older, more hand made counterparts.

I also enjoy sharpening almost as an end in itself, but agree with Charles Edward that a 10,000 grit polish makes no difference after a few strokes.
    IMG_4720.jpgIMG_4721.jpg
    These are hand forged, with the far one having a pedigree, not that old, and lightly used. I haven't had it that long so we're still getting acquainted.
    I have an even rattier looking one but it is at a jobsite at the moment.

IMG_4723.jpgIMG_4724.jpg

4. Quote Originally Posted by Haitham Jaber View Post
    Dear Edward,

With all the respect with your help and your listening to my doubts, I don't agree with either your assertions.

1. Being my set of knives hand or not hand forged it doesn't matter that much to me. Hikuachi makes original knives for 220 dollars each and they
    might be the one in the video. My idea, would it be romantic or not, considering also the fact that I don't feel ashamed of being "romantic", in the means of living the things with deep passion and admirating the tradition, I still think that the way in many corners of Japan, the most, but also America, Russia and little forgotten corners of Italy France or whatever you want, there is still some respect and attention to our past as something that enriches our experience. Well that is not, for me, merely romantic but a way of living. But I'm still opened to your opinions because my point of view shouldn't be considered as conservative but opened to the past the future and the present. You can then attach any category to my point of view but you will not be able to flatten it in just the two dimensions of a word, because it's deeper and I can write for hours if you want

2. I like to sharpen and I consider it part of the beauty of the crafts. But that's my personal way of living the crafts. I don't have to demonstrate anything to nobody. That's just what I like. So I may sharpen something just to enjoy sharpening or sharpen in a hurry because I need to go back to the bench. It depends on how my soul is vibrating at the moment

Regards,
    Haitham
    I like things in context. I don't think the workmen in the video value sharp edges any less, I just suspect that have them in firm context.