Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese carving knives

Japanese carving knives

Hello,

In the local Woodworker's Store they have a nice set of Ikeuchi Japanese Carving knives, different shapes.
    I attach here two of them to give you the idea.
    The strange thing, from my novice point of view, is that the blade is on the other side. It seems like they're a left-handed set
    but in the shop they have a full assortment that is the same as these. So my idea is that they're used on the push instead
    of on the pull. (That is also safer)

What is your idea on the matter? Thank you and happy new year

Cheers
    Haithamcoltello-intaglio-giapponese-KURI.jpgcoltello-intaglio-giapponese-YOKO-b.jpgcoltello-intaglio-giapponese-MARU.jpg
    We get lost in the over-building and perfect material arguments that sometimes we simply loose sight of the making (Tom Fidgen)

Not all bladed tools are used with the bevel facing up.
    While these may in fact be left handed, this may not always be the case.
    Using a tool with the bevel up, the cutting edge wants to cut down, into the wood.
    Using a tool with the bevel down, gives the user more control over the depth of cut by being able to better control the cutting edge angle.

I'm fairly sure you can purchase these in both right and left handed versions. I have those knives - without handles - in both right and left handed versions. They come in different widths but I only have the 1/2 inch versions because I use them as marking knives when doing dovetails.

Here are some pictures. I made cases for the knives - not handles - just to protect the edges when not in use.

Japanese-knives-01.jpg

There are three sets of left and right knives on the left side of the picture. I have two Narex marking knives on the right side of the picture. At the top of the picture is a violin knife, but that's double beveled.

The knives are hand made so they're different thicknesses - I had to make the case to fit. To make sure I get the right knife back into the right case, I had to mark them.

Japanese-knives-02.jpg
    A little closer view of the Narex knives. The problem with them was that the angle of the blade was not steep enough, I had to do major reshaping of the cutting edge.

And, finally, a picture of the knives in their cases.
    Japanese-knives-03.jpg

I can reverse the knives in their cases and the edge will be exposed, but the knife is loose in the handle so it wouldn't work to try to use it that way.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-16-2024 at 1:16 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I also have both right and left-handed ones. As a marking knife, a right hander holds the square in the left hand, and the knife in the right with the flat side of the blade against the square, so those are right-handed.

The knives the OP showed are aimed more towards carving, not just marking or scribing a line.

The knives shown are available L or R or as a complete set
    https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...-bag-set-of-6/

@ Edward Weber

So left of right is not referred to the user being left or right-handed but more to the kind of control that you want to gain from the tool itself?
    We get lost in the over-building and perfect material arguments that sometimes we simply loose sight of the making (Tom Fidgen)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    The knives the OP showed are aimed more towards carving, not just marking or scribing a line.

The knives shown are available L or R or as a complete set
    https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...-bag-set-of-6/
    I'd even call them whittling knives or stabbing carving tools.

I was curious about left handed Japanese woodworking tools, & found out that basically there are no left handers in Japan- it is trained out at an early age.

It used to be like that in the US and Europe, and still is in many countries around the world. At one time, your left hand was called your sinister hand and your right hand your dexter hand. Sinister is actually the Latin word for left, though it too carried connotations of wrongness or perversion. Left handedness was considered a sign of evil, so it was trained out of people at a young age.

What about these makes you think that they are left handed? How do you use a knife when carving? I predominantly push cut and slice away from myself. It's the same in Japan. Therefore, the flat is on the left side of the blade.

Not all Japanese tools are used on the pull stroke! We also don't pull our chisels over here

It's true that people are generally corrected and taught to use their right hands. There's no moral reason judgement about the left hand -- it's just very, very hard to write Japanese / Chinese with your left hand. Impossible really. The strokes don't look right.

Of course, that doesn't mean that there aren't natural lefties (my son is one! And even I am one who was corrected early on, though I was raised in the US to US parents!) and it also doesn't mean that there aren't uses for a "left hand" version of the a tool, such as when you want to pull cut or need to reach in some awkward space. Also bevel down is appropriate at times.

And of course marking knives often have both left and right versions, though I think most people just tilt the knife and don't have a left hand version.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 01-18-2024 at 4:51 AM.

11. Last edited by Charles Edward; 01-18-2024 at 6:00 AM.

They replied to me from Ikeuchi, Japan with these words:
    When used in Japan, I often use push cut, and if it is pull cut, I feel it is for left-handed people.
    Anyway as those gorgeous videos show, they seems to be used either direction.

Thank you all

13. Quote Originally Posted by Haitham Jaber View Post
    They replied to me from Ikeuchi, Japan with these words:
    When used in Japan, I often use push cut, and if it is pull cut, I feel it is for left-handed people.
    Anyway as those gorgeous videos show, they seems to be used either direction.

Thank you all
    Look at their hands. They tell you everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Edward View Post
    Look at their hands. They tell you everything.
    Yes that video was invaluable. I looked at how they reversed the blade also. thank you
    I bought them, they're really lightweight and comfortable in the hands

I don't know if it's bamboo or not but I would like to put some tung oil on some of them
    and some walnut oil followed by walnut wax on others to protect them from water when I sharpen them

What do you think?

This is the video on how they forge them. It's Blue Paper Steel type II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDcY28auCy4&t=1s

I don't know yuo guys but I respect and love japanese culture and how they tenaciously preserve their tradition still innovating

Regards
    HJ

That is a romantic idea, but a set of six for $100 knives is not hand forged like that.

I like to put tung oil on chisel handles but my only knife with a wood handle has very porous wood so I leave that raw.

The hard steel and low angles make the blades vulnerable to chipping, or even the tip breaking, so avoid prying, levering, and reaming actions.