Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On glue blocks and gluing up miters

Lol, I meant from a glue gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I would use hot glue from a hot glue pot …..NOT A HOT-EN- TOT !

Some projects don't lend themselves to band clamps. This was a table made from two L shapes. Here I did not use brown paper, just glued on the clamp blocks with a rub joint. I sawed them off with a Japanese saw, hand planed off to clean up. It's important to get the line of clamping through the center of the joint.

DSC02019.jpgDSC02020.jpgDSC02021.jpgDSC02036.jpgDSC02037.jpg
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 01-16-2024 at 6:29 PM.

Nice corner joint, Edwin. Are the holes shown in the last picture for locating another case?

Edwin. Really cool corner joint. (Non)hidden dovetail miter? Cut the same way as the hidden variety? Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Nice corner joint, Edwin. Are the holes shown in the last picture for locating another case?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Edwin. Really cool corner joint. (Non)hidden dovetail miter? Cut the same way as the hidden variety? Kudos.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the compliment! Yes, the holes are dowel holes for locating the vertical partitions that form the drawer box. Below is a completed photo that shows you how the two L pieces come together to form the table. The dovetail joint had to be cut by hand pins first where the pins were cut like a half blind, then the waste was mostly routed away with jig that held the workpiece at 45 degrees. The tail piece was cut like a normal through joint and then mitered at the table saw. It was kinda tricky, but not as hard as it sounds. Worth it though if you want the waterfall grain to be uninterrupted on the table's horizontal surface. Maybe I'm hijacking the thread, but the glued on miter blocks were a good way to clamp up the two L forms.

DSC01988sm.jpg4Y1A9602-comp-v2sm.jpg
    4Y1A9731sm.jpg4Y1A9639sm.jpg

That is a nice piece, I'm glad you showed the whole project. How is the shelf projection on the right side attached to the vertical fin?

Hey, great trip down memory lane. I've tried a variation of the brown paper bag trick with drops of glue, and it worked surprisingly well. But lately I've been leaning on band clamps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Colleagues: Hope my explanation makes sense!

Saw post on another site that suggested using glue blocks on a 45-degree miter. Glue the blocks to stock, let glue dry, then glue and clamp the miter together. When the glue cured, use a chisel or flush trim saw to remove the blocks and a block plane remove any remaining glue block or glue.

From the Back- in-the-Last-Century part of my memory bank, I recall something similar.Glue A piece of brown paper bag between the work and glue block. When glue on the blocks and stock cured, apply glue to the miter, clamp, and let dry. Glue blocks and the stock were easily separated with hammer strike. Supposedly the brown paper bag residue was easier to remove. Also think hide glue was recommended.

Does anyone else remember or use this method?
    Absolutely!
    I was very surprised to see how infrequently it's mentioned here. It was something taught in Shop 1 when I was in high school. We used newspaper and wheat paste though since it washed right off with water.

I've switched over to Elmer's School glue - but - still use a piece of newspaper.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Agreed with Kevin, nicely done. My favorite part is the staggered drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    That is a nice piece, I'm glad you showed the whole project. How is the shelf projection on the right side attached to the vertical fin?
    Long 2" dowels that go through the vertical leg and into the opposing horizontal shelf. The shelf sits in a shallow stopped dado, same with the shelf on the opposing side. I used a shop made dowel jig that registered in the dado.

Blog Entries
    These are quick and easy to batch out. No post glue-up clean-up required.

Shop Made Blokkz (2).jpgShop Made Blokkz (3).jpgShop Made Blokkz (5).jpg

Obviously not good for long mitered edges ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are tons of methods that will work. The problem with gluing temporary blocks is that you'll have to remove them. And that's extra work, especially if you're going to stain the wood afterwords. One thing I've done that's similar to this method is to use handscrew clamps to mimic the glue blocks, and draw them together with F clamps. You'll probably want to line the jaws of the handscrew clamps with something for extra grip, so they don't slide around too much. But you can usually angle them to get two parallel surfaces to put your regular clamps on, and you'll have a surface on the top and bottom so you can use two clamps and get a nice, even, and flush joint. I also use this method for glueing mortised angled legs to tops. Just make sure to align your handscrew clamps so that the center of force of your F clamps are pulling down directly over the mortise instead of along the angle of the leg.

Blog Entries
    You can make corner blocks and clamp in both directions, unless the top, etc is too long for a clamp in both directions.,I use them on corner Susan’s for 22.5…

Colleagues: been an interesting thread. I now feel I was not imaging what I remember about using brown paper and glue blocks to the stock. Appreciate all the comments and “ways of doing things.” Cheers and all the best.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 01-23-2024 at 10:52 AM.

Blue painters tape on both parts, CA glue, and accelerator is all I use. Unlike double sided, this method has no creep and is way stronger. I turn 12"+ blanks attached to a 4" face plate with this method and haven't had a failure.