Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On glue blocks and gluing up miters

On glue blocks and gluing up miters

Colleagues: Hope my explanation makes sense!

Saw post on another site that suggested using glue blocks on a 45-degree miter. Glue the blocks to stock, let glue dry, then glue and clamp the miter together. When the glue cured, use a chisel or flush trim saw to remove the blocks and a block plane remove any remaining glue block or glue.

From the Back- in-the-Last-Century part of my memory bank, I recall something similar.Glue A piece of brown paper bag between the work and glue block. When glue on the blocks and stock cured, apply glue to the miter, clamp, and let dry. Glue blocks and the stock were easily separated with hammer strike. Supposedly the brown paper bag residue was easier to remove. Also think hide glue was recommended.

Does anyone else remember or use this method?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Colleagues: Hope my explanation makes sense!

Saw post on another site that suggested using glue blocks on a 45-degree miter. Glue the blocks to stock, let glue dry, then glue and clamp the miter together. When the glue cured, use a chisel or flush trim saw to remove the blocks and a block plane remove any remaining glue block or glue.

From the Back- in-the-Last-Century part of my memory bank, I recall something similar.Glue A piece of brown paper bag between the work and glue block. When glue on the blocks and stock cured, apply glue to the miter, clamp, and let dry. Glue blocks and the stock could be easily separated with hammer strike. Supposedly the brown paper bag residue was easier to remove. Also think hide glue was recommended.

Does anyone else remember or use this method?
    I use band clamps. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    I know that wood turners would use brown wrapping paper to attach blacks to face plates for turning. It might also work for miter corners. I would suggest a trial run with some scrap pieces before using it in a project.

Glue blocks sound like adding extra work to a project. The key to a strong miter joint is to apply glue to both sides of the joint. For clamping a single mitered joint you can use opposing bar clamps to push the joint together. I have some corner clamps that work pretty well.
    Screenshot 2024-01-15 205352.png
    For picture frames I use a clamp similar to the one shown below or a nylon web belt type band clamp.
    07S51.2.jpg

I have also used glass fiber strapping tape across the out side edges to pull the joint together. I clamp one leg vertical in a woodworking vise and let the weight of the horizontal leg or a couple of C-clamps for added weight on that leg to keep the joint closed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you have porous wood I wouldn’t use the trick, especially if you’re going to stain it. I’ve used Xfasten tape on 6”-ish pieces of stock with 45 degree cuts+clamps with great success, coupled with one or two squares to keep the miters at 90.

Brown paper bag, but *drops* of glue, not a full coat.

I use glue blocks with heavy drawing paper from my sketch book. They are essential for clamping compound miters see pic I’ve included.
    Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

When miter folding with packing tape doesn't work I usually use clamping ears glued to a base with sandpaper on the bottom that can itself be clamped to the work. This allows pressure at right angles to the joint with no cleanup and no danger of filling the grain with glue. Where that doesn't work blue tape and ca glue will give a reasonable purchase for clamping blocks, again with no cleanup. Clamping parallel to the workpiece surfaces always seems to lead to a struggle getting the tips aligned.https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

I remember reading about the brown paper bag method years ago in a magazine but I've never tried it. The one I see happening more now is applying a piece of painter's tape to both objects and then gluing the painter's tape back to back with CA glue. I haven't tried that one either, but I now have some CA in my shop if I ever run into a glue up that might need it.

I havent had the need because band clamps have served me but would good double sided tape hold up to a little clamping force for this situation?

Also bought a collins clamp set that I havent tried yet

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I havent had the need because band clamps have served me but would good double sided tape hold up to a little clamping force for this situation?

Also bought a collins clamp set that I havent tried yet
    Double side tape will work. Finding the right combination of holding power and releasability without residue can be a challenge. Painter's tape and ca glue are proven for moderate loads.

Collins clamps work well with moderate pressure if you can tolerate the pinholes.

Double sided tape, two pieces of blue tape stuck to each other with ca or hot melt glue that comes apart with alcohol.

Blog Entries
    Your talking about the long miter?

After trying lots of approaches, I've come to this: Align the joint and strengthen the joint as two separate steps.

I cut the miter carefully, and then glue up the joints with stretchy masking tape to pull the pieces together. At this point, the joint is aligned, but usually too weak.

Then if the walls are shallow (e.g., a tray), attaching the bottom will provide the needed strength. Or, if the walls are higher (e.g., a box), I cut for splines or drill for dowels, both of which will be visible.

I would use hot glue from a hot glue pot …..NOT A HOT-EN- TOT !

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Double sided tape [or] two pieces of blue tape stuck to each other with ca... glue
    ^^This. Worked perfectly on some memorial flag boxes I made last year. No need to scrape glue out of the pores of the wood.

IMG_3352.jpg
    Last edited by Marc Fenneuff; 01-16-2024 at 3:56 PM.