Thread: Interesting combination ruler

Interesting combination ruler

A. C. Fowler patented this rule Nov. 17, 1891. Very simple construction. Marked "The Combination Rule, Square & Compass Pat'd Nov. 17, 1891". No markings on back.
    Patent # 463212. (Note: There are other examples with a June 10, 1891 date).
    Brass that was factory nickel plated. Six and a half inches long with lots of holes.
    The center row of holes is on 1/4" spacing. There are extra holes going across at the 3" point. Five more smaller holes on the left end.
    Using a pin in the hole on the zero line, you can then make circles from 1/2" to 11 1/2" in 1/2" increments.
    Using one of the other holes on the left ends allows to shift the rule and make circles of other sizes.
    Drawing a line and then putting the long row of holes on the line, you can use the holes at the 3" point to mark two points that will be perpendicular to the line.
    Using the straight edge, you can then mark a perpendicular line.
    I think it's pretty clever.

Fowler 1.jpg

Blog Entries
    Interesting tool Eric, a try-square found at an estate sale appears to have been modified by its previous owner with holes for scribing lines parallel to the edge of a board. At least that is what my thoughts have figured.

Checking for Square.jpg

The holes are on 1/2" centers. It doesn't get used for this. My Odd Jobs is more convenient for such marking.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Interesting tool Eric, a try-square found at an estate sale appears to have been modified by its previous owner with holes for scribing lines parallel to the edge of a board. At least that is what my thoughts have figured.

Checking for Square.jpg

The holes are on 1/2" centers. It doesn't get used for this. My Odd Jobs is more convenient for such marking.

jtk
    I agree Jim, parallel lines. Starrett patented his first combination square May 6, 1879 (#215024) which also had extra holes in the rule for marking parallel lines. So not a new idea.
    You think anybody would be interested in early combination square information? I have a bunch of interesting ones.

I can't speak for anyone else but I love seeing those old tools, especially being used by someone.

Blog Entries
    Like Edward, I love seeing and learning about old tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yeah buddy. Tee it up!

I've got my popcorn!