Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NFL,I wish....

You do realize the huge impact on viewership and merch sales from Taylor dancing on camera in the VIP suites? An entire massive army of new - and young- fans. The league is ecstatic

The answer to all your questions and complaints is money

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    You do realize the huge impact on viewership and merch sales from Taylor dancing on camera in the VIP suites? An entire massive army of new - and young- fans. The league is ecstatic

Follow the money! LOL love it!

The Oakland raiders and the Heidi game is why they have to show every last second of on field antics. Something might actually happen. But I notice they seldom bother to show the field goal kick. They really should make the field goal attempt from 30 not 20 yards and make it a tough decision. Very few conversion plays happen anymore because kicking is too sure fire points now. About 90% completion on average.
    BilL D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-17-2024 at 9:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post

I really can't imagine non football fans sitting through a 3 1/2 hour football game to see Taylor Swift screaming and yelling in the stands. They can go on youtube amd watch her as much as they want. What is she going to do after football season to get attention.... possibly start dating a hockey player?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    This is a Non sequitur, It is for Roger Freely in case your homesick, and Stan Calow + others in the mid west.
    I’m a little homesick. I live in Falls Curch VA about 6 miles as the crow flies from the Capitol building. The climate hero’s about the same as KC but add 20% humidity. I miss the snow. KC gets several good snows a year. We just got the first sledable snow in 3 years.

I like the density of interesting stuff around here. I used to joke that KC is a great place to live but I opulent want to visit there. Not entirely true but you get the point.

My first impression of the people of falls church is that they don’t do anything but their jobs. In the Midwest we have hobbies. We mow our own lawns shovel our own snow and fix our own houses. We may hold white collar jobs but there’s no shortage of dirt under the fingernails. I know of just two other homes in my neighborhood where the owners mow the grass.

but I have to say that this neighborhood is a lot friendlier than where I used to live. I got to know more neighbors here in 6 months than I knew back in KC in 20 years.

Falls Church is full of movers and shakers. My garage door openers have pretty short range. I’m told that there is someone living nearby with “special security” that includes jamming the unlicensed frequencies (we think). I’m not surprised. We don’t have the cabinet secretaries but we have their direct reports. The #2 guy at EPA lives across the street. The guy 4 doors down is chief council at treasury. Lloyd Austin lives in Great Falls just a few miles away. My point is that many of these folks live and breath their jobs and just don’t have time to mess around building something on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I really can't imagine non football fans sitting through a 3 1/2 hour football game to see Taylor Swift screaming and yelling in the stands. They can go on youtube amd watch her as much as they want. What is she going to do after football season to get attention.... possibly start dating a hockey player?
    You - and I - are so far outside the comprehension loop that it is hopeless. To thrive and survive long-term, NFL has to get to a younger market. Suddenly they've got millions of pairs of fresh eyes on their product.

Tay-Tay says its cool, and so it's cool. The Swifties will follow her wherever she goes. Some will stick with the NFL product. She does not need NFL or NHL or any other vehicle for attention, wealth, and fame.

This all seem stupid? Yep - just like the outbreak of Beatles haircuts mid-60's.

BTW - the dismay over post-TD theatrics - It was outlawed, but then "in-lawed". A direct appeasement to a younger audience that digs flashsy displays. You and I don't get it? - that's fine, they aren't targeting us, and they just don't care.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I'm not at all clear how their behavior is any more juvenile in the celebrations, than in the fact that they've devoted their lives to playing utterly meaningless games, and it's certainly no more juvenile, at least in my view, than the behavior of the people paying to watch them play, or saddling a couch for hours with beer and snacks to watch meaningless spectacle for free, or the millions who wager money they could put to a lot better use on real and derivative fantasy games. The whole enterprise is adults playing games (of various sorts) for entertainment and money.
    When you apply the term "meaningless" to an activity that opens up the door for many of our beloved activities that imo serve the same goals which can be relaxing, amusement, friendship building and therapeutic or any combination of those. Perhaps meaningless could be applied to activities like vacations, parties or hobbies? If something destresses a person or they find it interesting, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    When you apply the term "meaningless" to an activity that opens up the door for many of our beloved activities that imo serve the same goals which can be relaxing, amusement, friendship building and therapeutic or any combination of those. Perhaps meaningless could be applied to activities like vacations, parties or hobbies? If something destresses a person or they find it interesting, to each their own.
    I agree. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with people being paid to entertain us (I watch a little football myself, and enjoy watching both the strategic nature of plays and the athletic feats of the players). In fact, the lack of any real meaning in the results is what makes it relaxing and entertaining. Meaningless to me just means that the outcome doesn't matter in any more than a made-up way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    It occurs to me that the question is “why do the TV producers think we want to watch grown men act like children?” How the players behave is not a problem, but producers thinking I want to watch them is annoying. I’d rather watch the replay, not juvenile behavior.

I recall an episode of The Simpsons where Homer would give ideas for touchdown celebrations to an NFL star. In one scene, he broke out a BBQ and started grilling in the End Zone. That's my kind of celebration.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 01-22-2024 at 7:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I recall an episode of The Simpsons where Homer would give ideas for touchdown celebrations to an NFL star. In one scene, he broke out a BBQ and started grilling in the End Zone. That's my kind of celebration.
    That sounds like Homer to a T (or maybe to an H)... Doh!
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

People forget that NFL, as well as all professional sports, are entertainment. Yet, sports fans get all bent out of shape if something upsets the purity of their favorite sport.

Dave Barry wrote a hilarious article years ago about sports fans. He compared them to someone who is an Amtrak fan. Imagine if someone you knew had no affiliation with Amtrak, but was down when Amtrak wasn't doing well and was thrilled when Amtrak was doing well. That's just like being a sports fan.

Taylor Swift currently happens to be the world's biggest entertainer. Combine that with NFL and it's no surprise pop culture is going to pounce on it. And it's no surprise TV ratings went through roof when Taylor first attended a game. All the Swifties wanted to see their girl!
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 01-23-2024 at 2:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post

Dave Barry wrote a hilarious article years ago about sports fans. He compared them to someone who is an Amtrak fan. Imagine if someone you knew had no affiliation with Amtrak, but was down when Amtrak wasn't doing well and was thrilled when Amtrak was doing well. ...
    Dave Barry... I had forgotten about him. He has a great, a wonderful sense of humor. His columns were almost always side-splittingly funny.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    Heh. Where do woodworking and internet forums rank on the meaninglessness list?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    My wife wondered if the colors on every baked item at out grocery store were meaningless. I said "Go Chiefs, pass the coffee, and for heavens sake come in out of the cold before someone (or 3) freezes to death"

Photo on 1-26-24 at 1.10 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-26-2024 at 8:36 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I'm not hugely concerned with anything that happens during dead-ball intervals in an NFL game. But there are a couple of rule things that just drive me up the wall.

1. Replay can trigger or not depending on an official's call. For example, a questionable pass in the end zone...if the official call is complete (touchdown), it automatically gets reviewed. Same pass gets called incomplete, no review unless a coach is willing to spend a challenge. If you're going to have replay, use it.

2. Say a runner going down the sideline gets tackled and fumbles, the ball goes a yard or two down the field and then rolls out of bounds. Normally, the ball is spotted at point of the fumble, offense retains possession. Exact same play happens at the 1-yard line, the ball goes out-of-bounds from the end zone, the ball is spotted at the 20 and the other team takes over. HUH?!?

There are more, but my BP is high enough just thinking about how those two affected games in the last two weeks.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.