Thread: NFL,I wish....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I'm not at all clear how their behavior is any more juvenile in the celebrations, than in the fact that they've devoted their lives to playing utterly meaningless games, and it's certainly no more juvenile, at least in my view, than the behavior of the people paying to watch them play, or saddling a couch for hours with beer and snacks to watch meaningless spectacle for free, or the millions who wager money they could put to a lot better use on real and derivative fantasy games. The whole enterprise is adults playing games (of various sorts) for entertainment and money.
    When you apply the term "meaningless" to an activity that opens up the door for many of our beloved activities that imo serve the same goals which can be relaxing, amusement, friendship building and therapeutic or any combination of those. Perhaps meaningless could be applied to activities like vacations, parties or hobbies? If something destresses a person or they find it interesting, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    When you apply the term "meaningless" to an activity that opens up the door for many of our beloved activities that imo serve the same goals which can be relaxing, amusement, friendship building and therapeutic or any combination of those. Perhaps meaningless could be applied to activities like vacations, parties or hobbies? If something destresses a person or they find it interesting, to each their own.
    I agree. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with people being paid to entertain us (I watch a little football myself, and enjoy watching both the strategic nature of plays and the athletic feats of the players). In fact, the lack of any real meaning in the results is what makes it relaxing and entertaining. Meaningless to me just means that the outcome doesn't matter in any more than a made-up way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    Heh. Where do woodworking and internet forums rank on the meaninglessness list?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    My wife wondered if the colors on every baked item at out grocery store were meaningless. I said "Go Chiefs, pass the coffee, and for heavens sake come in out of the cold before someone (or 3) freezes to death"

Photo on 1-26-24 at 1.10 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-26-2024 at 8:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    come in out of the cold before someone (or 3) freezes to death"
    Here is the latest on the sad story,

https://www.mensjournal.com/news/kan...-drugs-systems

As is so often the case these days, it was drugs, drugs and more drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    As is so often the case these days, it was drugs, drugs and more drugs.
    Boy, that's the truth. We have a pretty small circle of family and friends. I counted 5 overdose deaths.