Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL,I wish....

NFL,I wish....

I wish NFL receivers wouldn't feel the need to bow and arrow point every time they catch a pass for a first down. I wish there wasn't a gangsta celebration in the end zone when a touchdown was scored. That goes for my team as well. Go Lions! Barry Sanders was a great example for all. When he left would be tacklers looking for their shoes after scoring, he would calmly flip the ball to the closest ref and sit down. He had it right imo.

Amen to that!

In my earlier years that would have been called "showboating" but it started in my generation. In the same breath, however, that was my generation.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Darrell Royal reportedly told his players at the University of Texas "when you get to the endzone, act like you've been there before." I watched Earl Campbell score a bunch of touchdowns and he either put the ball down and walked away or handed the ball to a ref. Not a fan of all the showboating. There is an NFL rule against it, but it's never enforced.

Blog Entries
    When I lived in Kansas City area, I learned that th Marine Psi-Ops had a presence there. I thought the chiefs should bring in some of those guys and really learn how to mess with the other team.

brents quote of Darrell Royal makes sense to me. Don’t le5 the other team think that your touchdown or sack is any big deal. Just business as usual.

I remember when it was a penalty to celibrate now every play one or the other are jumping around like they have bees in their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I remember when it was a penalty to celibrate now every play one or the other are jumping around like they have bees in their pants.
    You all sound like crabby old guys, jawin' about how we used to be better men. The NFL is a sports entertainment league, and the players are giving the fans what they want (even if some want less of it than others). In those celebrations, they are having some fun doing it - and given just how hard and dangerous to one's health the job is, they deserve some perks that make it more fun. Seems like a win all the way 'round to me.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 01-15-2024 at 8:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chiefs players have a tough act to follow. Taylor Swift has been stealing the show. Was she at the game yesterday? If yes I bet she had a heated seat. Wife and Daughter have sort of become Chiefs fans.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Chiefs players have a tough act to follow. Taylor Swift has been stealing the show. Was she at the game yesterday? If yes I bet she had a heated seat. . .
    Yes she was here. She was in an enclosed suite with Mama Kelce, Brittany Mahomes, and other friends. At least they didn't pan the camera to her every few minutes like they have in the past. Maybe because the glass was frosted over.

I agree with being against the showboating and taunting that goes on. Yes, it's entertainment, but I see small kids imitating that behavior on the field and it's not right. We dont teach sportsmanship anymore, just the opposite, and cheer it on.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    I had jury duty in October and my assigned seat landed me in the middle of 5 Lady's, 3 of whom have Chiefs season tickets. I learned a whole lot about Miss.Swift and nothing at all about football. It was sort of fun but I was glad it only lasted several hours.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I had jury duty in October and my assigned seat landed me in the middle of 5 Lady's, 3 of whom have Chiefs season tickets. I learned a whole lot about Miss.Swift and nothing at all about football. It was sort of fun but I was glad it only lasted several hours.
    Too funny
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I am a crabby old man and love to watch football. However, the over the top antics takes away from the game. I appreciate the athletics but not the absurd show offs.

I played through college and no longer have any desire to even watch it, but I agree with the ridiculous antics. Pretty soon there will be another score for dance routines on every play. They can add it to the jumbo-tons. I’ll give that a 5.6 out of ten. Jim Brown was the best at it, No salt on Barry’s tail here, but Jim Brown would run over the team, get up slowly, adjust his pads as he slowly walked back to the huddle and then run over the team again, repeat, ad nauseum!

Maybe I'm a crabby old man too. I view it as an athletic contest rather than a Vegas act. Maybe we can cut the super bowl regulation play time to 2o minutes and watch "entertainers" dance amid fireworks and smoke bombs for 60 minutes. Celebration is one thing. Doing cartwheels because you sacked the third string quarterback when your team is down by 4 TD's with a minute to go in the 4th quarter does nothing for the sport or me imo.

Maybe if the cameras wouldn't show that stuff they would get the idea that nobody cares