Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NFL,I wish....

They should rename "sports' to "look what I can buy".
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    One of the first things I ever Googled (when we finally got internet and a hand me down PC) was "Crimson Tide" after hearing Gillan Welch use the term in a folk song. I could not understand what Football had to do with her song Red Clay Halo. Now I know. The game has changed a lot.

Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald, is credited with coining the phrase "Crimson Tide" in an article describing the 1907 Iron Bowl played in Birmingham with Auburn a heavy favorite to win. The game was played in a sea of red mud which stained the Alabama white jerseys crimson.[citation needed] The headline for the article was "Crimson Tied", referring to the 6–6 tie Alabama had with Auburn, who had been heavily favored before the game.[clarification needed]
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-16-2024 at 8:48 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    I wish NFL receivers wouldn't feel the need to bow and arrow point every time they catch a pass for a first down. I wish there wasn't a gangsta celebration in the end zone when a touchdown was scored. That goes for my team as well. Go Lions! Barry Sanders was a great example for all. When he left would be tacklers looking for their shoes after scoring, he would calmly flip the ball to the closest ref and sit down. He had it right imo.
    Earl Campbell was the same way! Did his job, did it very well, and let that speak for him and itself!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

It occurs to me that the question is “why do the TV producers think we want to watch grown men act like children?” How the players behave is not a problem, but producers thinking I want to watch them is annoying. I’d rather watch the replay, not juvenile behavior.

Heard the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Gamble View Post
    Darrell Royal reportedly told his players at the University of Texas "when you get to the endzone, act like you've been there before." I watched Earl Campbell score a bunch of touchdowns and he either put the ball down and walked away or handed the ball to a ref. Not a fan of all the showboating. There is an NFL rule against it, but it's never enforced.
    But it was attributed to Vince Lombardi. No matter who said it, they were right!

OTOH, some of the group celebrations that are well choreographed are kinda neat, one, or at least a few per game, in the right circumstance, maybe. You know, really unique play/performance by a receiver/QB/running back (or defensive player). it is after all an entertainment medium for the audience and an athletic contest for the guys on the field.

IMO the rule against excessive celebration should be invoked after the nth celebration in a game by a team. Get it out of you system and then play ball!

I guess every time I hammer in a nail I should celibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    It occurs to me that the question is “why do the TV producers think we want to watch grown men act like children?” How the players behave is not a problem, but producers thinking I want to watch them is annoying. I’d rather watch the replay, not juvenile behavior.
    I'm not at all clear how their behavior is any more juvenile in the celebrations, than in the fact that they've devoted their lives to playing utterly meaningless games, and it's certainly no more juvenile, at least in my view, than the behavior of the people paying to watch them play, or saddling a couch for hours with beer and snacks to watch meaningless spectacle for free, or the millions who wager money they could put to a lot better use on real and derivative fantasy games. The whole enterprise is adults playing games (of various sorts) for entertainment and money.

People try to put us d-down (talkin' 'bout my generation)
    Just because we get around (talkin' 'bout my generation)
    Things they do look awful c-c-cold (talkin' 'bout my generation)
    I hope I die before I get old (talkin' 'bout my generation)
    ————-
    I thought this was pretty hip 60 years ago. My Dad, not so much

The more things change……

Blog Entries
    If I remember correctly there was a big effort to reign in celebratory antics in the end zone about 20 years ago? Including fines?

OK google
    Celebrate the new NFL touchdown rule with these crazy player antics - mlive.com
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-17-2024 at 6:48 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I'm not at all clear how their behavior is any more juvenile in the celebrations, than in the fact that they've devoted their lives to playing utterly meaningless games, and it's certainly no more juvenile, at least in my view, than the behavior of the people paying to watch them play, or saddling a couch for hours with beer and snacks to watch meaningless spectacle for free, or the millions who wager money they could put to a lot better use on real and derivative fantasy games. The whole enterprise is adults playing games (of various sorts) for entertainment and money.
    I agree. Sports are a way for adults to forget about their problems and worries for a few hours. 4 guys celebrating a touch down pretending to row a boat or whatever is part of the show. The dumb insurance commercials and gambling app commercials are much more offensive to me actually. Hence the "Mute" button!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    I agree. Sports are a way for adults to forget about their problems and worries for a few hours. 4 guys celebrating a touch down pretending to row a boat or whatever is part of the show. The dumb insurance commercials and gambling app commercials are much more offensive to me actually. Hence the "Mute" button!
    And Joe Namath hyping social security advantage plans

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    When I lived in Kansas City area,
    This is a Non sequitur, It is for Roger Freely in case your homesick, and Stan Calow + others in the mid west.

Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Maybe if the cameras wouldn't show that stuff they would get the idea that nobody cares
    are we talking sports, because i say that FREQUENTLY about the news coverage of politicians. Stop showing it and maybe they will stop doing it. I know, i know . . . naive be I.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    And Joe Namath hyping social security advantage plans
    Yes, and another Irony, Johnny Unitas vs Joe Namath. Quintessential modest team player vs Mr. Flamboyance. Commentator David Brooks has said that was a pivotal moment for society in modesty vs self promotion. I suppose it was?

I'll take all the showboating camera shots the NFL wants to put in during a game if it takes the place of the annoying shots of Taylor Swift every time Travis Kelsey touches the ball!!!!