Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker’s Past Week’s Accomplishments

Creeker’s Past Week’s Accomplishments

Hi, probably for our western friends, not having frozen would have been a big accomplishment last week.

Here in the Canadian Center of the Universe it’s a balmy-10C this morning The peanuts seed and suet feeders are filled, the birdbath is steaming and I’m watching the birds while enjoying a mug of Earl Grey.

You may recognize the mug.

IMG_2392.jpgimage.jpg

I also finally ran some armoured cable to install a timer and receptacle for my shop exhaust fan.

As an Electrical Technologist it was embarrassing to be using an extension cord😊😊

So, what did you do in the shop last week?

Regards, Rod

Didn't really spend any time in the shop this past week, but I did get the "fabulous" cast off my right wrist and hand finally last Tuesday. It's sore because it's "strung up tight", but PT starts tomorrow morning bright and early. The good news is that I seem to already have more range of motion than I did with the left side back in 2017, and I'm not babying it too much. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to lift much with it, so...small steps. Of course, all this inactivity is resulting in far too many potential projects bouncing around inside my head! LOL

And...first real cold snap of the winter just hit. Not my cup of tea.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Best wishes Jim! Motion Is Lotion! don't over do it. A contributor on the Acoustic Guitar Forum just posted an image of his post-op. It spooked me out.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Upgrading the shop lighting from florescent to LED. Bright!

Made 1" dowels 8 1/2' long for a hyper-custom project for a client. Cut from a piece of red oak stair tread, but getting stained to match existing African mahogany trim and stair rail.
    1/2"R on the router table, then hand scraped with a 3/4"R router bit to clean up. When the bit is held at an angle, the profile fits and makes a shearing cut.

On the backyard cottage project, fitting and hanging one single and two pairs of louver doors- all salvaged. One pair cut down to 6' tall.

IMG_4716.jpgIMG_4714.jpegIMG_4715.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Best wishes Jim! Motion Is Lotion! don't over do it. A contributor on the Acoustic Guitar Forum just posted an image of his post-op. It spooked me out.
    Yes, I'm being careful but also since this is the second time around, I have a little idea about what's ok and what isn't. Sadly, the left didn't get back full range of motion which makes any kind of real playing with a fretboard difficult. While I'm a lifelong keyboard player, guitar and bass came into play because of some "somebody's got to do it" situations and I could do reasonably well prior to the surgery. I can do enought to setup the instruments I've built but playing them musically is a sorry situation!

My post-op situation is pretty good looking...way ahead of the previous at this time interval. The incision is barely noticable already

DisapearingIncision.jpg
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Eye opening great, eh?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My post-op situation is pretty good looking...way ahead of the previous at this time interval. The incision is barely noticable already

DisapearingIncision.jpg
    Nice looking incision, Jim. Although I'm used to seeing the incisions open, not closed, so what do I know.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

My shop time this week was all spent cleaning and doing tool maintenance and some organization. Oneida sent an urgent advisory to check for loose bolts holding the impeller on my dust collector. I had that problem a few years ago and replaced all the bolts and lock washers and reassembled with loc-tite at the time, but figured I would check them again because of the advisory. Bit of a pain to get access for checking, but I did it anyway and found all was still well. I imagine they have had issues with this; hence the advisory. In order to gain access to check the bolts, I had to move a bunch of long "things" that I had been storing in the dust collector closet, leaning in the corner, where they would be out of the way, but it was getting tiresome to move them every time I need to clean the filter canister, so I spent some time making space for them to hang on the inside of the closet doors. Still out of the way, but not *in* the way of getting to the collector and filter.

BIL received the ping pong paddle I made for him and was delighted with it; I am still waiting to hear how it is to play with it.

Rest of the time was spent cleaning up the mess from the ping pong paddle project and getting ready to get back to the laundry cart project. Also ramping up design phase of planning our bathroom remodels; hope to start that soon, at least the getting permits phase and ordering "stuff" phase. It will involve moving a door and putting in a new window, so that will have to wait until the weather breaks a bit, but there's plenty I can do one the permit is in hand.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    My shop time this week was all spent cleaning and doing tool maintenance and some organization. Oneida sent an urgent advisory to check for loose bolts holding the impeller on my dust collector. I had that problem a few years ago and replaced all the bolts and lock washers and reassembled with loc-tite at the time, but figured I would check them again because of the advisory. Bit of a pain to get access for checking, but I did it anyway and found all was still well. I imagine they have had issues with this; hence the advisory. In order to gain access to check the bolts, I had to move a bunch of long "things" that I had been storing in the dust collector closet, leaning in the corner, where they would be out of the way, but it was getting tiresome to move them every time I need to clean the filter canister, so I spent some time making space for them to hang on the inside of the closet doors. Still out of the way, but not *in* the way of getting to the collector and filter.

BIL received the ping pong paddle I made for him and was delighted with it; I am still waiting to hear how it is to play with it.

Rest of the time was spent cleaning up the mess from the ping pong paddle project and getting ready to get back to the laundry cart project. Also ramping up design phase of planning our bathroom remodels; hope to start that soon, at least the getting permits phase and ordering "stuff" phase. It will involve moving a door and putting in a new window, so that will have to wait until the weather breaks a bit, but there's plenty I can do one the permit is in hand.

What glue/clamping did you end up using for the paddle?

I ended using west system epoxy with slow hardener that I had on hand and went ahead and used the vacuum bag. The epoxy did bleed through the face veneers, but I had made them a little thicker and a couple of passes on each face through the drum sander cleaned them up nicely. I had covered the cauls with waxed paper and it removed cleanly. I made the cauls (3/4 mdf) the exact size of the veneer stack and that let me tape the stack and cauls together so I didn't have to worry about the veneer shifting in the bag. Unlike the waxed paper, the tape stuck very well to the epoxy, but it was only along the edges so it got trimmed off and wasn't a problem. All in all, the process was a lot less stressful than I had anticipated.

I ended using west system epoxy with slow hardener that I had on hand and went ahead and used the vacuum bag. The epoxy did bleed through the face veneers, but I had made them a little thicker and a couple of passes on each face through the drum sander cleaned them up nicely. I had covered the cauls with waxed paper and it removed cleanly. I made the cauls (3/4 mdf) the exact size of the veneer stack and that let me tape the stack and cauls together so I didn't have to worry about the veneer shifting in the bag. Unlike the waxed paper, the tape stuck very well to the epoxy, but it was only along the edges so it got trimmed off and wasn't a problem. All in all, the process was a lot less stressful than I had anticipated.

Replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my granddaughter's 2001 Sierra. Been needing it done for awhile. Had to move all the woodworking tools out of the center of the s'hanger to get the truck inside and out of the weather. Weather wasn't that bad, I just don't tolerate like I used to could.

Also turned some wet maple. Two bowls green turned to warp. Four bowls boxed with shavings to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Nice looking incision, Jim. Although I'm used to seeing the incisions open, not closed, so what do I know.
    Being so nearly invisible at only two months is impressive to me, Alan. But your view is similar to a friend of ours who also administers the feelz-goodz. I'm sure you both have had some incredible "tours" of the human body over the years! LOL

First PT was yesterday and the tech was impressed about how far things are already...much better at the same time interval compared to the left one done in 2017.
    --

Blog Entries
    Ditto! I only have a few fluorescents left to get rid of. I am removing the ballasts and enjoying better reception on the receiver. I also replaced the door on the remote spray booth.

IMG_1729.jpg IMG_1730.jpg
    The door is dead....... Long live the door!

IMG_1836.jpg IMG_1837.jpg IMG_1838.jpg
    4 X 40 W T8 FLR--------2 X 16 W LED----------- 6 X 16 Watt LED's

I am starting to relate to Ebenezer Scrooge regarding KW. We have over 4000 KWH in our solar crdit savings account. I still look for ways to use less energy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-19-2024 at 9:05 AM. Reason: show LED's
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    We had a lot of helpers pass through the shop over the years. One guy very quickly became a very good carpenter. He could cut straighter than anyone I have ever met. He went on to be a hand surgeon. He spent his career in the Winston Salem area, putting trades-people back together.
    Best Regards, Maurice