Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand tool transport

I did a couple international moves where I vacuum packed with a food saver system. Spritz some oil in the bag (wrap in something soft first if you like). Vacuum it. Then put it in a bin.

No condensation.

Derek is over the top as usual!

I'm not that patient and usually take Tom's approach. If I was teaching or needing to move tools around often, I'd look hard at the wheeled tool boxes like the Milwaukee Pack-outs.

Good luck,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

It’s hard to believe it was five years ago, but on this week in 2019 I was on my way to the UK for a week with David Charlesworth. I brought along my L-N 4-1/2, Stanley 60-1/2, router plane, a set of Narex chisels, marking gauge, and a few other items I don’t remember just now. I simply wrapped each tool in its own small terrycloth towel and stuffed them into a large suitcase with my clothes also in it. No tool was in contact with an outside face of the suitcase. It was a little crude, I guess, but it did the job.

If I were driving across country, any sturdy box, even cardboard, would keep tools safe if individually padded.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Derek is over the top as usual!

Chris

Of course!

Don't forget that the boxes serve an addition purpose of demonstrating joinery for the audience.

If I wanted the most simple, compact, and possibly safe method of transportation, I would use a leather roll for chisels, a canvas bag for saws, and bubble wrap for planes. KIS.

Regards from Perth

Derek

There are a million correct answers for a million different situations, but regardless, a proper solution for you should present itself if you make a list of requirements.

If I was driving with my tools, I'd just stick them in a couple of carboard boxes and maybe grab some old towels so the metal parts don't rub. But I'm not a pro, so I'm not trying to impress anyone, and I drive and SUV, so they wouldn't experience wide temperature or humidity swings. Plus, most of my tools are pretty beat up already, so I wouldn't gain anything by concocting a more elaborate solution.

Though, when I do actually travel to do work, I usually just take what I think I'll need. Which usually means I'm not taking so many tools that even a box is necessary. You can do just about anything with a jack plane, a cross cut panel saw, a 3/8" bench chisel, a mallet, a square, a pencil and a few clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    There are a million correct answers for a million different situations, but regardless, a proper solution for you should present itself if you make a list of requirements.
    Agreed! The biggest factor in my mind would be if the tools would always be with me, (Like the OP driving) or would they travel on their own, like in a ship's hold or an airplane's baggage compartment. Assuming driving, if I were going to move more than one time, I would make a purpose built box, where all the tools would fit and travel safely. I like the open tote variety, and that's what I made for myself, years ago and still use it. If I were going to make another I would make the suitcase style (popular in the 1930s - 1960s, where one side drops down (hinged about halfway) and provides a till for saws, planes live in the bottom, and there are typically 2 or 3 drawers for small things.

DC

Here's another way with gasketed bins and desiccant bags to slow rust, but they don't get moved all that often. The bins are about 7" high.

Before using foam a couple layers of cardboard cut to fit the tools also helped reduce things moving about

plane bin.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 01-18-2024 at 3:34 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

In Japan, plastic boxes are used a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgFA1hM1vvk

18 minutes