Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand tool transport

Hand tool transport

Hi everyone --

If you had to transport a bunch of hand tools, what would be your preferred way to do it?

I'll be driving so it's more of a question of how best to prevent them from being jostled, what to place them in, and ease of loading/unloading. Many tools are in the original boxes, but since I'll need to do this at least a few times per year, I'll need something better than cardboard.

Right now, I have the following tools that will likely need to be transported, but there could be more down the road:
    LN #7
    Veritas low angle jack plane
    Veritas bevel up smoother
    Veritas medium shoulder plane
    router planes
    tenon saws
    dovetail saw
    a number of water stones - Shapton, Sigma, and the requisite holders for them (this line item is a lot of weight, will need to spread the load)
    diamond lapping plate
    various chisels (I have a roll for these)

I could build individual boxes for each of the larger items, maybe something out of plywood for protection. Then put the smaller items in one or more crates with requisite padding/protection. I have a foldable mini handtruck that I can stack items on and then strap them to the handtruck.

Thanks in advance --

Ned

I nailed together a couple of Japanese style tool boxes with the sliding lid. They work well, easy to stack and the wood of the box helps insulate the tools from temperature changes and condensation, a big problem this time of the year. Cold at night and then the sun warms up the interior and condensation forms. Had to deal with that my whole career.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Blog Entries
    My solution would be to build a box on the line of an old style tool chest with sliding/removable tills, maybe in layers.

There could be separate cubbies for the various tools to keep them from sliding into each other.

It wouldn't have to be much longer than your #7 plane or a long saw.

Padding available at the large home stores like many professionals use in their tool boxes. These can even be cut to make nests for the various tools.

Here is what Rockler has > https://www.rockler.com/rockler-foam-organizer-sheet

One problem I had many years ago was wrapping some tools in newspaper. The paper seems to absorb water and a couple of my tools got a little rusty.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-13-2024 at 4:19 PM. Reason: additions
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ned, I built these boxes specifically for wood shows, where I would demonstrate making joinery. Different joinery is on display in the construction of the boxes. The contents displayed here to show what is taken. Outside of a couple of planes, this is all one needs to build most things. The sharpening gear - a couple if stones - is taken in a Tupperware.

Marking tools ...

One for dovetails (may also be used for tenons), and the other for crosscuts ...

Fretsaw and kerfing chisel ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks, Derek! Knew you would have some solution for this, really appreciate you posting these photos.

Ned

Many thanks to all who replied!

One thing about the beautiful storage boxes Derek posted is that while they nicely organize the tools, are beautiful, and demonstrate what can be accomplished with the tools in there right hands, that would not work for an airplane or if you are transporting multiple planes that are bulkier and much heavier than chisels, especially on an airplane or if you want to always change up what you are taking.

It depends on your objective.

For me, I needed to recently transport a number of tools including planes to a woodworking workshop on the other side of the United States where the tools were in checked baggage on the airline. What worked out exceptionally well was a 12 bottle wine suitcase.

The VinGardeValise has foam inserts that can be removed individually, and that allows you to customize the space. Planes fit on each side when opened where foam supports everything on the sides, and there is a foam piece that goes on top. Everything is supported within and the hard shell case protects the contents from impact, compression etc as the suitcase is handled.

It can of course double as a wine suitcase or a regular suitcase with the inserts removed.

Also, there are less expensive options than the VinGardeValise, but not sure if the inserts are removable in sections. Of course you can always make custom inserts with Kaizen Foam

No need to over think it. Buy a big roll of tiny bubble wrap and a couple of rolls of plastic stretch wrap. Put them in storage totes or 5 gallon buckets so you have handles, and off you go. One caution; if the tool has wood that has been coated with lacquer, the bubble wrap may get marks on it. In those cases, a wrap with paper starts the protection. My best friend often lists for cat litter buckets in wanted sections of local trader type places. He gets some for free, mostly cheap, and puts them on shelves in his shop. I tease him it will be perfect for his kids to carry all his stuff out to a dumpster upon his demise. We are both 71.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 01-15-2024 at 10:57 AM.

Wooden boxes are just so wrong for transporting many tools. Take chisels, for example. A tool roll is lighter and takes up far less space.

Fabric tool bags with lots of pockets are inexpensive, and have proven themselves for toting and organizing tools. The bags don't slide around during transport, and they don't mar furniture or automobile interiors.

Photo of one of my portable tool kits I use when working on yachts.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Bubble wrap, pool noodles (cut to fit), and suitcases.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Wooden boxes are just so wrong for transporting many tools. Take chisels, for example. A tool roll is lighter and takes up far less space.

Fabric tool bags with lots of pockets are inexpensive, and have proven themselves for toting and organizing tools. The bags don't slide around during transport, and they don't mar furniture or automobile interiors.

Photo of one of my portable tool kits I use when working on yachts.

Makes sense Andy.

The last time I moved I went to the home center and picked up a few Rubbermaid Storage Totes. I either boxed the tools up (yes, I keep boxes) or wrapped them in newspaper and loaded them in the totes. Use smaller totes or they get heavy. They are easy to move and easy to stack.

After the move the totes all nest together for storage.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I use various boxes and bags. I've sewn leather socks for the planes, chisels are in a leather roll. Much of this stuff has been jostling around in the van for decades.

IMG_3876.jpgIMG_3868.jpg

Mine are in waterproof toolboxes. Planes are wrapped in old t-shirts or socks and toolboxes have desiccant cannisters in them. There are something over 140 such boxes now, but I only have about a hundred cubbies. Been needing to build more cubbies for several years. I do so many different things that some boxes might not get opened for years. A couple of years ago I opened the "8" box, needing to use a no. 8 plane for the first time in years, and found a couple of more planes that I have no idea when or where I bought them.

These boxes can be carried in the back of the truck and when they get dirty they just get hosed off. Not a spec of rust on anything in them. One whole row is for planes not including molding planes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-16-2024 at 4:23 PM.