Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dying Epoxy

I have had no issue with transtint. But totalboat Pigment dispersion works great too
    https://www.totalboat.com/products/p...43151638560992

In a small town, your two best options are either paint tint or rit dye powder.
    Last edited by Dwayne Watt; 01-15-2024 at 9:32 AM.

I'd suggest taking a black ink pen and nipping the end off and carefully blowing out the black ink. I suspect that the old-fashioned ink cartridge would work better than a gel pen ink.

I also like black powder pigments. Mortar dye is super concentrated and comes in a variety of colors however it's difficult to find small quantities. Industrial arts supply in Minnesota has sample packs that have an assortment of 8 colors for $9.95. A little goes a long way. They call them powder pigments #80PP. Their catalog has a lot of interesting items. 952-920-7393

Tempera powder - comes in many colors. About 1%-2% by wt.

Wow! I never thought there were so may ways to color epoxy. Thank you all for your responses. One question, do any of these weaken the bond of epoxy?
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Most epoxy instructions will indicate the maximum amount of colorant or additive that should be added to that particular mix. The amount of dye or mica powders that are typically used are trivial quantities relative to the maximums allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    Wow! I never thought there were so may ways to color epoxy. Thank you all for your responses. One question, do any of these weaken the bond of epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I prefer dry powder. Graphite powder makes a lovely black.

https://www.wisebond.com/products/gr...28588347064425

Attachment 513717
    For black,I use graphite, also.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Good someone finally found a use for instant coffee because you certainly can't drink the stuff. Another really good powdered colorant is mortar dye. Comes in a bunch of colors and looks like powdered tempura but is super concentrated. A little goes a long way.