Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will a track saw ever replace a table saw?

For me, no. A track saw is great for cutting up plywood and crosscutting on a table meant for that, but ripping is still better done on a tablesaw or a bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Agreed. I have a TS75 and it has its uses, but stationary saws are still #1. Small parts for one, not really possible with a track. I am space challenged in my new shop and have the TS out in the storage barn to rip 4x8 sheets lengthwise before they move to the shop. This has been worth the cost in and of itself. I also made a base for a 16" Makita so I have the worlds largest track saw!
    FWIW, Mafell has a portable saw that uses a 17-11/16” blade and runs on their tracks as well. A serious beast. If you want to upgrade,😏

Clint
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Clint Baxter; 01-15-2024 at 8:45 AM. Reason: Added image

Nope. Maybe for you, for specific tasks, but not overall.

I'd say no. Track saws are great, but they don't quite replace the good old table saw. It's not really about replacing the other, it's more about having the right tool for the job at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    “ If you have a cabinet saw, then a track saw could be more accurate for sheet goods.”

How would a track saw be more accurate than a cabinet saw?

Does one not know how to use a cabinet saw?

let’s take the internet and forums away and go to 10 cabinet shops in the area. Report back with what they are using to cut sheet goods…
    A track saw can cut an initial straight edge while a cabinet saw can only follow whatever approximation of straight is presented to the rip fence. A track saw can cut a square end on a full sheet which is next to impossible on a cabinet saw. Sure, crosscut sleds can cut most cabinet parts relatively accurately but a sled large enough to cut 30"+ backs is unwieldy. Track saws can be very useful and quite accurate in situations where it is more sensible to take the tool to the material. On the other hand a cabinet saw is quite versatile and most shops will still want a tablesaw or bandsaw for ripping solid wood.

I would say that for cutting out most cabinet parts a track saw used with accurate track indexing could be at least as accurate as a cabinet saw, although slower, and could be less laborious for handling full sheets. I wouldn't think it an effective solution for a commercial shop of any size but it can work. I used to get by with a cabinet saw but it's not easy to accurately dice up full sheets singlehanded.

Around here track saws and cabinet saws are the primary tool for cutting out panels only in the most under-capitalized cabinet shops. If they aren't using a cnc, a beam saw or a vertical panel saw, a sliding tablesaw is the workhorse for sheet goods.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-15-2024 at 6:58 AM.

Untitled.jpg

I think the table saw is too important. If all you do is break down plywood maybe you could get by without it but would still want a small portable for slim cuts.

Not in my workflow. I do like my track saw however.

Well, it's not quite that simple. A track saw is fantastic slicing through big sheets or getting straight cuts on-site. Table saws, on the other hand, are much more versatile for all sorts of cuts, and they're the best for consistent and precise cuts, especially with smaller stock.

Ideally, it's best to have both in your shop because they each have their own roles and strengths.

Blog Entries
    It’s a hobbyist tool. It has been used by professionals , but not for breaking down sheets goods in the shop..

If you work in a cabinet, commercial or furniture shop with cabinet saws , the track saw isn’t used for breaking down sheet goods and the track saw wouldn’t be mentioned..

A slider is better at this than a cabinet saw, for that matter.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    It’s a hobbyist tool. It has been used by professionals , but not for breaking down sheets goods in the shop..

If you work in a cabinet, commercial or furniture shop with cabinet saws , the track saw isn’t used for breaking down sheet goods and the track saw wouldn’t be mentioned..
    I think that's too general of a statement, Jack. It's absolutely true for larger shops, but not necessarily accurate for quite a few one person operations. Wrestling full sheets onto a cabinet saw isn't always someone's cup of tea and that includes a certain segment of the pro world. One shop owner I know (closed down now he encountered a serious medical issue) often worked with his tracksaw even though he had a full slider in the shop...it was just physically easier for him. Cabinet shop owner near my old property did the cabinet saw thing for years with a huge outfeed setup, but started using the track saw more and more when he partnered up with another maker who introduced him to theirs.This is a very subjective thing for sure and there are no absolutes. The whole industry is constantly changing and it's not just track saws...CNC is where many cabinet shops have headed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agreed Jim. Particularly with CNC. My friend is a professional cabinet maker and he uses endmills more than saw blades to make cabinets out of sheet goods LOL.

Notwithstanding, I’d venture to guess a high percentage of us lurking these forums are hobbyists of varying degrees.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 01-15-2024 at 6:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    I worked at a commercial shop that I cut all the sheets goods. That a bundle+on a decent job. Owner plus me , except when he hired in help. My one man shop I cut the same, on the saw.

If you are use to using a table saw, there is no way you are going to pull a track saw. One man or the 50 man shop tye table saw is much easier. Funny thing is, it’s just as easy to wrestle a sheet good on the table saw as it would a sheet on 2x’s or horses.. I do understand as a hobby sliding to from the truck to saw horse can be easier, but I’m usually cutting many parts..

“ Wrestling full sheets onto a cabinet saw isn't always someone's cup of tea and that includes a certain segment of the pro world”
    If you can’t operate a cabinet saw in the pro world, there is someone in the shop always looking for a pay raise..
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-15-2024 at 4:00 PM.

I disagree, Jack. And so do the business owners I cited. Relative to the wrestling...with the saw you need to lift and move the sheet through the cut. With the tracksaw, you move the material once, either onto a raised surface or onto the floor and move the tool. But no matter, let's just agree that we disagree. Different strokes...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I disagree, Jack. And so do the business owners I cited. Relative to the wrestling...with the saw you need to lift and move the sheet through the cut. With the tracksaw, you move the material once, either onto a raised surface or onto the floor and move the tool. But no matter, let's just agree that we disagree. Different strokes...
    Where I used to work a track saw would be a real pain as we would rip a whole sheet of ply into 3 inch wide strips. sometimes we would have to rip 10 sheets for one small job.