Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Downsize Table Saw Size After Getting Track Saw?

Question Anyone Downsize Table Saw Size After Getting Track Saw?

Let me first say, I'm not getting rid of my table saw.

I have an old 1960s Delta Unisaw that works great. I added a 32" wing to the right so that I could use the table saw for larger panels. I also got a Makita track saw about a year ago. I find I am using the track saw more and more the table saw for long rips, thin cuts, and smaller crosscuts. While I have used my table saw plenty I haven't need the extension wing in a while.

I'm in a small shop so space is premium. Having that ~32"x26" section back could be nice.

I've been considering removing the extension wing from the table saw and putting the original wing back on. I'd still use it for thinner rips and small cross cuts.

Has anybody out there done this?

Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    I have Milwaukee copy of a safety speed cut panel saw but still find many occasions to use the 36 inch width on the table saw. My extension wing has a small saw and a router built into it so I don't begrudge the real estate it takes up.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I didn't specifically "downsize" my table saw because I have a tracksaw, but having said tracksaw made me more comfortable with the decision to go with a short-stroke slider for the new shop...I had an 8'6" stroke slider at the old shop. Even though I have more space here, I don't do a huge amount of work that would benefit from the longer wagon and with the flattening table available as a saw table for the tracksaw, for those few times I need to do long rips of sheet goods, I'm covered. For me, the table saw has a different purpose than the tracksaw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also didn't specifically downsize because I have a tracksaw. But since I have one, and mostly work with solid woods making furniture, I don't need the capacity to handle sheet goods on my tablesaw. Since that's the case, it let me shove the tablesaw against the wall. Which let me put my benches in the center of the shop. That's where most work is done anyway.

Now when I do use sheet goods, I do all the cutting on the tracksaw.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I have a table saw with 27" usable to the right of the blade. That wing has a router table built into it. I figured I seldom worked with pieces wider than 24" so why a wide table saw wing? People use them as a work space or assembly table but that seems like it would cut into the usefulness of the table saw. I do have what I've heard called a saw board - just a 1/8" sheet of smooth hardboard with a straight aluminum fence glued to it. That has worked for cutting pieces from 4 X 8 sheet goods. If I have a project involving lots of sheet goods I'll buy a track saw but so far my homemade guide has done what I needed to do.

I had a 36" rip capacity on my saw before I got a track saw. I now have a 36" rip capacity on my saw. I don't find a track saw as a replacement of a table saw.

I kind of did this but it wasn't simultaneous. I used to use a Ryobi 3100 table saw and added their extension rails to it in a long home made base and had about 60 inches of rip capacity. I used it that way including sizing sheet goods. It is (was) a small table saw in terms of the size of the top but I had a lot of rip capacity. But mainly that extra table space turned into a junk storage place. Then I added a DeWalt track saw. That started me thinking of downsizing the table saw and I might have, not sure at this point. But what really tipped me over the edge was a move, a change of houses. The height adjustment of the Ryobi had worn out and even thought I had a helicoil kit for it I just threw it away. When the shop garage got finished on the current house I bought a PCS with the 36 inch rip capacity. I was sure it was all I needed and that has proven to be true.

I also agree that a tracksaw is not a good complete replacement for a table saw but I would add that a table saw is not a great replacement for a track saw. They complement each other nicely with both easily capable of things that are difficult on the other tool.

Where else would I keep my junk but on the 52" table? Honestly I wish I had ran sawstop extension router table. and saved space on standalone table. That would have saved me a whole lot more space.

Nope, my shop and work revolves around an accurate table saw.

You can do pretty much anything with one that you can do with the other. But that doesn't mean that both will do every job equally. If you have both, you'll find reasons to use both, because they both excel at different things. But you can also get by with just one if you really had to, and lots of people do.

In your situation, I'd remove the 32" wing off your table saw. You'd rather have the space right now, from what it sounds like. And I'd just store it somewhere, so if the need arises that you want it back on, you can reinstall it. If you find yourself reinstalling it often, then you'll know you were wrong and you actually do need the wing more than the free space. Let your own experience guide you.

Kenny, I deleted my original post as I miss-read thinking you were getting rid of a table saw.

Most of what I said is still true. It depends on what you do. I really don't enjoy using my tracksaw with most hardwoods or even glued-up panels, so it really comes down to sheet goods, which I use infrequently.

My cabinet saw and CNC are the hearts of my shop. I'd downsize a lot more things before I downsized one of those, but only because I know that's how I like to work.

For me the first thing that would get the boot is my Kapex

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts, I really appreciate it. Like I said, I am definitely not getting rid of my table saw; the only reason I would do that is if I was getting a Saw Stop.

Some of you y'all are right there with me. I pile things on my extension wing too. I recently bought some more clamps and haven't made the French cleat holders for them, so they just sit there on my table saw wing.

I especially liked Jimmy's idea of removing the wing and holding onto it for a while, so I'm prob going to go that direction as I am getting more and more committed to using my track saw.

I also downsized years before getting a track saw. I cut down my '93 Unisaw from a 52" to about 36" on the right, and added a Jessem slider on the left side in place of the wing. This was added after several years of using various Excalibur sliders on the left side. So, the Unifence is cut down on both sides, which was easy since it is aluminum.

Just a week ago I sold the Jessem, and put the original left wing back on, because I now have a used Felder K700 bought from a member here. The Unisaw snuggles right up to the back of the Felder now.

The only constant in my shop is change.

EDIT: That reminds me, I still have two Excaliburs out in the shed..gotta clean out someday.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-16-2024 at 12:55 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I had a Jet 52" table saw. I got a Festool track saw, as the 4'x8' were too difficult to handle, especially without an outfeed table (I even did a couple sets of kitchen cabinets with it). I sold it when I got a Felder. Then I sold that when we moved & my shop space went with it.

I bought a Sawstop with the 36" fence for the garage in the new house. I love it. I keep saw horses outside on the side of the house. When I bring home sheet goods (non-rainy days), I put up the saw horses & cut the panels to size, then store them in the garage.

The 3hp table saw is still critical for use on 8/4 walnut maple, etc.

Odd man out here...
    I had a job site (Hitachi) saw and more or less upgraded it to a contractor's saw (Ridgid TS3660).
    Having a track saw had a lot to do with that decision.

Once I could actually do some type of quality work with sheet goods, it opened the world of quality woodworking to me and I was able to do more with a modest table saw.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon