Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Centauro 600 _ axial blade movement

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I'm going to do this exact process including the new tires.

https://youtu.be/zz04k-GMF38?si=54u3p4zd2nVAiBK2
    That's a pretty rudimentary method of dressing the tire, but it should improve things. You can make a more rigid setup if need be. As the video maker says, there are many ways of doing the job. I think you will be able to get your bands running smoothly and have a nice running heavy saw.

Looking for trouble without testing alignment, especially considering the age of the machine.
    Those bearings might only just be still seated perfectly snugly, and ignoring that could cause a lot of misery.
    It doesn't take an age to happen, as you can see some relatively new machines out there which have loose wheel bearings.
    It might take the sting out of doing the work facing the wheels, instead of putting all your attention into the OD of them.

Can't expect it to work right, if you've not checked that, and not forgetting the lack of an answer so far, in regards to
    how the machine runs without a blade.
    There's a good likelihood due to it's age, of being adjusted before, so a factor to consider on such a machine,
    and not some new saw what's non-adjustable, in which the workers done the best they could do, without answering back.

Regards
    Tom

The op has stated that he installed new bearings and the wheels are coplanar. I will assume he didn't install the bearings with a sloppy fit into the journals, and that the lower wheel runs smoothly under power with no blade, but those are possible fundamental issues to look at. Otherwise, what is there left but truing up the tires?

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    ….are you sure the blade is not in a tension harmonic? Have you changed tension to see if it gets better/worse?…And have you checked that the blades have straight welds, as Kevin suggested? Six blades from the same supplier might give you six unacceptable welds. Different suppliers, probably not…. John
    I’m with John on this. Andrew, the blade in your video looks under-tensioned to me and I have seen entire batches of blades with funky welds. The litmus test is different blades, from different vendors. I never personally used a tension gauge but maybe it’s warranted in this case?

Another thought: Andrew, you’re working with a machine that was most likely rode hard and put away, wet, for most of it’s life. We (hobbyists) take good care of our equipment but in a shop environment, the bandsaw is the least cared-for machine. For example, I’ve never seen a vintage saw in a production shop that looked like it could be made to “drive like new”, if you get my meaning. I used to think I wanted an vintage Toyota truck but as soon as I could actually drive one, was like, “This thing handles like crap compared to my 4runner!”. Point being that no matter what you do, due to the age and history of this machine, could this be as good as it runs? Have you tried actually cutting any wood with it yet?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    The op has stated that he installed new bearings and the wheels are coplanar. I will assume he didn't install the bearings with a sloppy fit into the journals, and that the lower wheel runs smoothly under power with no blade, but those are possible fundamental issues to look at. Otherwise, what is there left but truing up the tires?
    I didn't suggest there might have been a sloppy fit with the bearings, well not yet,
    My machine had a bit of intermediate knocking which went away sometimes.
    Just for clarity, I'm in no way suggesting to re-investigate wheels/bearings.

And again, since co-planar is a funny old word, as it's a tad involved to achieve a true reading
    and not be a few mm off,
    and once that's done with the lower wheel, then alignment thereafter using the scribing beam.

That can't be discounted, for the sake of the wheel journals.
    To me, that's a lot more important than seeing if you could get away getting tires which would mask the real issue,
    which might indeed have came from the factory like that.
    Just cuz it's a better design than the newer machines, doesn't mean the wheels were aligned, that could'a been up to the dealers to fettle?

Edit, though saying that, I've not came across any alignment jig for the job, from when fully adjustable Italian saws were being made,
    should there be some kind of laser housed in a block, drilled out to the same shaft size to mount onto the wheel shafts, might just be the quickest way to do things,
    which would do the job instead of needing to dress the front face of the wheels
    to lay a beam against, or perhaps something fancier what General used to do.
    Screenshot-2022-5-26 How It's Made Band Saws.jpgScreenshot-2022-5-26 How It's Made Band Saws(1).jpg
    Fairly obvious they do nothing these days, when you can pick a lemon from any manufacturer, and a very fresh one at that.

ps With alignment sorted doing what could likely be the quickest method, then tramming the tire edges when installing a replaceable tire
    thereafter to eliminate chance of a variable apex, should one not have a modern Centauro or other machine featuring an alignment groove for the tires.

All the best
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 01-12-2024 at 5:59 PM. Reason: another possible accurate method of wheel alignment.

Blog Entries
    Took the tires off.. cleaned the wheels until they were completely clean of any residue.

Installed the wheels and measured 0.001" tir top wheel and .0015 to .002 tir bottom wheel.

Much better runouts. The wheel metal surfaces are rough machined so you get a lot of vibration in the indicator even when the wheel is barely moving so that's probably the best I can measure anyway.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!