Thread: In-table sliders for shapers - 0.5mm lip?

Blog Entries

In-table sliders for shapers - 0.5mm lip?

My shapers don't have an integral sliding table, built into the main table. I just use bolt on versions and my new machine will have a side mounted version, but I'm wondering how folks deal with the fact that the sliding table is slightly proud of the rest of the table? Specifically thinking about where large diameter tooling is used and therefore pushes the stock out away from the spindle (and therefore closer to the slider and lip) such that wider sticking may end up partially on the main table and partially up on the slider? I can think of maybe a few ways out of it for short sticking but what about say passageway door stiles that want to partially ride on the sliding table, and partially not? Some machines may be large enough that the space is larger, but the smaller machines seem like this might be an issue,

TIA for thoughts,

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Now wait just a minute there, Brent. Did you think you could casually mention a "new" spindle with an end mounted sliding table and not tell us more about it! By new, do you mean "shiny paint new" or new "to you"?

As for the height difference...I don't have this on a shaper but do experience this on my sliding table saw where the slider is about 7" away from the blade and maybe 0.3mm higher than the fixed table height. It's not usually a problem, except if there are certain length (~12" and shorter) pieces that bear more on the fixed table portion than the sliding table section. I use hold down clamps that reference it to the sliding table portion but I have also stuck down a few layers of painter's tape just left of the blade to even out the height of fixed table to the same as the sliding table in certain scenarios. While not looking the best, it did work, enough so for it to be a reliable technique.

Another way might be to use a 3/4" / 18mm ply or mdf sub base / sacrificial base that references on top of the sliding portion and also extends over the lower fixed table gap and is more sturdy. I haven't really tried this yet specific to this situation but I don't see why it couldn't help alleviate or eliminate the potential issue you're bringing up.
    Still waters run deep.

been running material over cabinet saws for years so even if the sliding table is flush that is much better and easier. Needing the set up gap they recommend i get but flush also works fine with me. Its already ahead of not having a sliding table.

Blog Entries
    He he.....top secret so far! Negotiations are underway but it will weigh more than my wife's car.

Thanks Phillip, I'd kind of thought of those as potential solutions, and I think the copes would be ok, especially considering the diameter of the tooling will bring the business area even closer to the sliding table on a lot of machines, however, it would forbid the use of something like the Aigner Contermax where some of the stock will be down on the lower table and some on the raised table. But in my looking around (and reading other similar threads) some machines seem to be just the right configuration to have part of a (for example) 6" door stile down on the main table, and part up on the slider. That step would present the edge being profiled to the tooling at a little angle and would affect the scribe/mould fit. Maybe it doesn't actually happen that often...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Now wait just a minute there, Brent. Did you think you could casually mention a "new" spindle with an end mounted sliding table and not tell us more about it! By new, do you mean "shiny paint new" or new "to you"?

As for the height difference...I don't have this on a shaper but do experience this on my sliding table saw where the slider is about 7" away from the blade and maybe 0.3mm higher than the fixed table height. It's not usually a problem, except if there are certain length (~12" and shorter) pieces that bear more on the fixed table portion than the sliding table section. I use hold down clamps that reference it to the sliding table portion but I have also stuck down a few layers of painter's tape just left of the blade to even out the height of fixed table to the same as the sliding table in certain scenarios. While not looking the best, it did work, enough so for it to be a reliable technique.

Another way might be to use a 3/4" / 18mm ply or mdf sub base / sacrificial base that references on top of the sliding portion and also extends over the lower fixed table gap and is more sturdy. I haven't really tried this yet specific to this situation but I don't see why it couldn't help alleviate or eliminate the potential issue you're bringing up.

The shop I used to work at has a Casadei 114 with an in-table slider. I can't recall that there was a step between the sliding and fixed tables, but we used it almost exclusively for tenoning with a substantial plate bolted to the slider that could be adjusted sideways to give workpiece support close to the cutterhead. If it had been an issue I probably would have taken the time to shim the tables level if possible. I have the carriage on my sliding tablesaw level with the main table and it works just fine.

Blog Entries
    Very interesting, thanks Kevin. I would assume it could be adjusted out if required, but I do recall the issue being discussed here in the past I just can't seem to find it with the clunky search system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    The shop I used to work at has a Casadei 114 with an in-table slider. I can't recall that there was a step between the sliding and fixed tables, but we used it almost exclusively for tenoning with a substantial plate bolted to the slider that could be adjusted sideways to give workpiece support close to the cutterhead. If it had been an issue I probably would have taken the time to shim the tables level if possible. I have the carriage on my sliding tablesaw level with the main table and it works just fine.

Blog Entries
    When I rebuilt the slider on my casolin I set it .002"-.003" above the table.

My sliding table is set about 0.07mm above the cast iron surface.

The top of the tenon table is maybe 8mm above the cast iron table.

Regards, Rod