Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge Sanding Guide for Random Orbit Sander

Edge Sanding Guide for Random Orbit Sander

Does anyone have experience with an edge sanding guide such as the Festool Positioning Aid (AH-ES-ETS/ETSC). I have not been able to find any other similar sander atttachment except for a 3D printed one by Iluka Tools which didn't get very favorable reviews. Apparently the Festool Positioning Aid can only be used with the Festool ETS 125 REQ sander and similar cordless sander. Unfortunately it is apparently not compatible with the ETS EC 150 that I already own. Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to use the positioning aid and how effective it is at edge sanding boards and maintaining the edge square and flat with the face of the board.

I picked one up recently and wish I had sooner. It’s perfect for edges and bevels like a tabletop. I didn’t realize it didn’t fit the ec 150, and had to get the REQ sander as well.

I bought it a ways back and thought it would work with ets ec. It does not.

I have one and it works as designed / advertised.

If you need the capability - 300$ bucks is short money in my view.

I have clamped my ROS in a tail vise and clamped a guide to the bench for small parts.

Blog Entries
    There is an aluminum version edge sander on YouTube, but I have been unstable to find again. I’ll try and find it..

This is a spot where hand sanding works pretty well. The sanding block is 2x5x3/4 or so. Unlike the ROS, it doesn't tip. And because you're sanding a small area -- maybe 3/4" by a few feet -- it doesn't take much time or energy. I generally stand the panel on edge, so the sanding block rests easily on the edge. Try it. You may be surprised.

I use my ROS on edges all the time, just holding it in my hand. It's not very hard to do. I also use it a lot on instrument parts with curved surfaces. It takes a little practice, but wrist control can make the job easy. On the other hand I'm not having to do it all day, as that would doubtless be tiring without some kind of support.

There is a recent thread in the Festool Owners Group that asks a similar question. Festool doesn't offer support for any sander other than the one that the edge guide is designed for. There are alternatives that are 3D printed as has been mentioned. One person did "clean up" the printed version they bought (I think off ETSY, but I could be wrong about that) so that it worked smoothly and accurately. Honestly, however, the smaller sander is going to be easier to use for this particular application due to size and weight...it's one of two reasons I'm considering getting a 125mm Festool sander to compliment the three 150mm versions I own.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There is a recent thread in the Festool Owners Group that asks a similar question. Festool doesn't offer support for any sander other than the one that the edge guide is designed for. There are alternatives that are 3D printed as has been mentioned. One person did "clean up" the printed version they bought (I think off ETSY, but I could be wrong about that) so that it worked smoothly and accurately. Honestly, however, the smaller sander is going to be easier to use for this particular application due to size and weight...it's one of two reasons I'm considering getting a 125mm Festool sander to compliment the three 150mm versions I own.
    Yea, I've been considering picking up the ETS 125 REQ specifically for this purpose alone. Usually I do the double-sided tape and a guide to prevent rolling the corners. It works pretty well, but I've often wondered if the little 125 would be better. Only annoying thing is a new set of sanding pad sizes

That would be one application for me and the other is that for the guitar bodies and some other smaller projects, the 125mm sander would be more appropriate. The downside is that right now, the same abrasive media fits all my sanders...adding the smaller tool means adding media supplies, too. Not really a first world problem, of course, but it's been a consideration that's kept me from doing the deed to-date.
    --

Im debating Hammer 950 instead of the ets125req. Ive wanted it for a couple years now and figure I can edge sand before assembly at least through rough grits

That's a worthy consideration, George. A stationary edge sander is a pretty versatile tool, too...not just for "edges".
    --

That what I was thinking I figure by the time I spend 500 on a new sander and the edge guide im a 1/4 of the way there. Im going to visit felder at The Woodworking Show in Edison next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That would be one application for me and the other is that for the guitar bodies and some other smaller projects, the 125mm sander would be more appropriate. The downside is that right now, the same abrasive media fits all my sanders...adding the smaller tool means adding media supplies, too. Not really a first world problem, of course, but it's been a consideration that's kept me from doing the deed to-date.
    Yep, that's my hold up too. ETS 150/3, 150/5 and Rotex all take the same set. One of these days I'll have to ping you on the guitar stuff. Building one is on my bucket list.