Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Right Hand Blade on Most Track Saws?

Question Why Right Hand Blade on Most Track Saws?

I'll (unfortunately) be moving to a smaller shop space in a few months, so looking at getting a track saw to cut larger pieces and plywood panels when I bring them into the shop to save space.

My first circular saw was a worm drive SkilSaw, so it and all my other circular saws since then have had the blade on the left.

As I've been looking at my options, Makita and Festool keep getting great reviews. But they - and nearly every other track saw I've seen - have the blade on the right side. (Kreg seems to be the only one with a blade on the left, but I've seen numerous marginal reviews.)

For anyone else that's been in this situation, how big of a learning curve should I expect? And is it really that big of an issue noting being able to easily see the cut considering what these things are designed to do?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.
    Sanity is like a parachute. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can take mine.

I believe you are correct that currently Kreg is the only one with the left blade format. I know at least one person who has both the Kreg and the Festool, believe it or not, so they have the option. For me, it wasn't a factor because my "legacy" circular saw, a 1980s era B&D, was a right side blade, so when I got the Festool tracksaw, it was "the same" in that respect. Now when I bought the inexpensive Bauer cordless circular saw, it was right blade and I can appreciate the appeal as a right handed individual as it puts the cutline (and usually the cut-off) where it's visible and able to be supported by my other hand. I will say this, the blade side would not discourage me from having a tracksaw of whatever color you feel most inclined to embrace.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John, perhaps in Japan ... the land of pull saws and pull hand planes ... the saw is set up to cut on the left side of the track since you are expected to pull the circular saw and not push it?

Sorry, the sensible answers are too easy

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen;[URL="tel:3294480"
    3294480[/URL]]John, perhaps in Japan ... the land of pull saws and pull hand planes ... the saw is set up to cut on the left side of the track since you are expected to pull the circular saw and not push it?

Sorry, the sensible answers are too easy

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I laughed harder at this than I’m willing to admit…
    Sanity is like a parachute. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can take mine.

Does it really matter? You’re going to be looking at the track for indication of cut location. A circ saw affects right/left handed users and ability to see the cut line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker;[URL="tel:3294477"
    3294477[/URL]]I can appreciate the appeal as a right handed individual as it puts the cutline (and usually the cut-off) where it's visible and able to be supported by my other hand.
    That’s my concern since I am right handed and it’s all I've known. But I’m guess that it’s not important with a track saw, because you just have to make sure that the setup is accurate.

The blade on the right (as long as you are right handed) keeps the save piece closest to you on long cuts and/or eliminates your having to allow for saw kerf every cut/calculation.

It can make a difference for those - obviously - who are left-handed if the controls favour the right-handed. Less obviously, it can affect those who are left-eye dominant (a parallax issue).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I think it’s a conspiracy created by the same people that use metric for woodworking! Or…….maybe it doesn’t matter which hand or system you use as long as the setup is good?

Jokes aside, I’m a righty and it’s not something I’ve thought about much. Once the saw is setup, I just grab the hose with the right and push the saw with the left.

On a track saw, you want the blade on the right so you can use your left hand to apply downward pressure on the track, to prevent it from moving while you make the cut.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Most wood workers are right handed. So they push the saw with their right hand. By placing the blade on the right side of the saw the hand is nearer to the blade and right in the line of fire for sawdust and chips. Very noticeable switching between skilsaw on the left and others which are right hand.
    Tracksaw makers claim no sawdust ever escapes so they set out to prove how much better they are by using the worst possible side for the blade.
    Bill D

Not a big learning curve, get good clamps for your track, they are worth their weight in gold. I'm right handed and appreciate the right side blade for safety. It makes it more difficult for me to cut my fingers off since I would have to reach under the workpiece and across the track in order to reach the blade with my off hand.

Rough cutting construction lumber is when I really appreciate the left side blade.

Right hand saw seems correct to me for a tracksaw. I would want the track on the "keep" side so it helps with tear out, and a right-hand saw would put the saw in position for my right hand. I'm trying to picture a left hand track saw, and I'm not sure if I would use my left hand, or try and cross my arms to run it with my right hand while holding the workpiece from moving with next left hand.

I would expect a very short learning curve. You will be lining up the fence for your cut and either locking it or relying on grip of the rail. The saw is the accessory here once the rail is set just move the saw along rail. The only curve may be that the rail covers all but the offcut. If you make a mark and align the fence too it you will lose the mark. so your kerf has to be figured if your offcut is under the fence.

I would agree with you switching to a right blade circ saw would be akward but track saw is different

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    It can make a difference for those - obviously - who are left-handed if the controls favour the right-handed. Less obviously, it can affect those who are left-eye dominant (a parallax issue).
    Derek
    I agree with the L vs. R hand controls, except that lefties shouldn’t be in unfamiliar water because most circ. saws are for righties anyway. Besides, the “controls” are the same for both type of saws - trigger is inline with the handle. Now , the balance point will change with a L saw over a R one, but it’s still an unbalanced saw either way.

And since it rides on a track , it doesn’t really matter anyway. Same with the parallax issue ! Whether you saw is leftie or righty makes no difference when you mark your workpiece , place the track and cut.
    -or-
    Use one of the numerous cutting jigs for the track.

On a track saw, you want the blade on the right so you can use your left hand to apply downward pressure on the track, to prevent it from moving while you make the cut.
    Not how the tool was designed to be used. You may like to use it that way, but it’s not designed that way !

AND …………..your argument isn’t well thought out because a lefty would use his right hand to apply pressure to the track if he were to employ your technique.

I would want the track on the "keep" side so it helps with tear out, and a right-hand saw would put the saw in position for my right hand.
    The “keep” side is always under the track , regardless of whether the blade is mounted on the left or right of the motor.