Thread: Screws for Rockler 3/8 T track

Screws for Rockler 3/8 T track

Building a basic drill press table out of 3/4" and 3/8" glued together MDF with a Rockler drill press fence and 3/8" T-track. Wondering what type screws you would recommend. Rather not make it any heavier. Looks like a #6 x 3/4. Rather not glue the tracks in case I want to reuse or change something. Suppose I could drill through and use small machine screws. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    James

I picked up a Whiteside T slot 1/4" shank router bit for about $25 and a Yoniko 5/16" 1/4" shank straight bit for about $10 that I use to make T tracks in things like this.
    If/when the sides are ever damaged (which I haven't had a happen yet) the whole thing can be hogged out and metal track put in.

I kept running into the same problem with screws - especially in MDF and/or particle board - where I couldn't get enough threads in to hold.

Routing the slots couldn't be easier. Just run the 5/16" bit to make the slot - then without moving the edge guide, switch over to the T-slot bit to do the rest.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McLeod View Post
    Building a basic drill press table out of 3/4" and 3/8" glued together MDF with a Rockler drill press fence and 3/8" T-track. Wondering what type screws you would recommend. Rather not make it any heavier. Looks like a #6 x 3/4. Rather not glue the tracks in case I want to reuse or change something. Suppose I could drill through and use small machine screws. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    James
    I used what appear to be #6 x 1/2 Flat Heads. They work well. They weigh next to nothing.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.