Thread: Apricot and bloodwood Suspended vase

Apricot and bloodwood Suspended vase

Sorry if you are getting tired of my work, but here is another one. This is an apricot body with blood wood finial, point, and base. This was much easier than I thought it would be. The apricot came from my mothers yard, and she had me cut the tree down because it smelled bad, and was not looking healthy. I was excited for the wood because the tree was about 30 years old, and large. When I got it down, I found that the smell was from a very bad case of heart rot. Unfortunately, that cost me a lot of the good wood. Everything I got from the tree was only good for "spindle ish" items. This was the biggest piece and I only got a skinny vase. There is some rot on the vase that looks a bit odd, but it still seems to work. The base was not hard to make, but it took a lot of sanding. The shop looked like the aftermath of an axe murder with all the red dust. Quite the "blood bath". My white vehicle was dark pink. As always, I am asking for a brutal critique. Let me have it. Don't hold back. It's the best way to learn.

Turning Point Brian Brown sm.jpg
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Brian, I never get tired of seeing your turnings! I like this a lot! The two woods contrast and play well together. The base has a gentle flowing feeling to it. The brass works well with both woods and the cap on the finial distinctly sets itself off. I like it all! Well done, Sir
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Never tired of work like yours! Keep em coming!
    Great piece!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Beautiful design and execution!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin