Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liquid in Tractor Tires

Liquid in Tractor Tires

I have a Kubota BX-2380 and it has liquid in the rear tires. I've had a flat and now have to take it off and darn it's heavy. I had to get help putting it in the back of my pickup to take it to the tire shop. I don't know what's in the tire but will find out. Hopefully they can fix the tire, it looks to be ok but we'll just wait. I'm wondering your thoughts on liquid in tractor tires vs tire wts. The back end of this tractor is pretty light.

I have both fluid and weights on my tractor back tires and wheels. Tire stores that sell such tires have the equipment to handle them, and can even come to you if you can't get it to them. They can pump the fluid in and out pretty quickly. My utility tractor has 55 gallons in each rear tire. When I had new tires put on they reused the fluid that was in them. Especially if you have a loader, you want as much weight as you can get on the back end.

Don't have my rear tires filled on my BX22, but I have 600+ lbs of weight on the back because the backhoe never comes off. If I didn't have the BH, I would have considered the choices between filling the tires, using wheel weights or using a 3-pt mounted weight box. Back before I traded a BX2200 (2000 equivalent of your BX2380) for the BX22, I used a homemade weight on the 3PT. But there were less choices for getting weight back there at that point. Filling tires is likely least cost and today there are fluids that are "less corrosive" available for the task. The advantage is that it's out of sight and other than holing the tire as you are unfortunately experiencing, there's little outside influence on them. Wheel weights take up space and there's also a limited amount of weight you can put in the available space. As to weight on the rear, there are some good solutions these days to put easily removable weight on the back...weight packs that hang on and lock to an "appliance". You can get quite a bit of weight back there and because it's behind the axle, it also has a little leverage that adds to the benefit. That's a bigger cost option, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I didn’t weight the tires in my BX23 or my BX2660. I mowed with the 2660 and heavier wheels would tear up the yard more. In the non-mowing season the FEL and BoxBlade would go back on for general use. The back-hoe worked fine without as well. The FEL on them is so small I never had a problem with anything I was trying to lift.

I will say unequivocally, that having the weight in the back does enhance FEL performance as well as for things like moving snow as I suspect that the OP may be faced with in the current season up in WI. For the FEL, I moved about 30 ton of soil and then about 60 ton of modified stone with my little BX22 in the summer of 2022 while prepping for my shop build. No way I could have done that without the weight of the BH on the back. I also modified the hydraulic pressure relief to get back some capacity for that task. (Let's not talk about how I really need to rebuild or replace the tilt cylinder on the FEL now. It's shot! LOL)
    --

Loaded tires are a must for any FEL work in my opinion. Also helps to have ballast, box blade, etc. on the back. Unfortunately in the case of subcompact tractors like the BX the tires are small and the amount of liquid is not great. I would want another source of ballast on the back or wheel weights in addition to the fluid.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Loaded tires are a must for any FEL work in my opinion. Also helps to have ballast, box blade, etc. on the back. Unfortunately in the case of subcompact tractors like the BX the tires are small and the amount of liquid is not great. I would want another source of ballast on the back or wheel weights in addition to the fluid.
    I agree that for serious FEL work, any subcompact needs additional weight hanging on the back, both for safe lifting to capacity but also to provide more traction when pushing.
    --

i have my tires filled with bio ballast on my 50 hp utility Branson. the FEL still out powers the tractor weight by a large margin. makes a huge difference.

We have a small lambing operation, participate in making hay, run hand lay irrigation, plow snow, etc.
    Last edited by Adam Herman; 01-09-2024 at 11:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Fluid filled tractor wheels have lead to a big supply of free material for many a fine BBQ and / or fire ring (made from rusted out rims). When scrap iron prices go up to $200 a ton be sure to lock up your tractor rim BBQ.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Fluid filled tractor wheels have lead to a big supply of free material for many a fine BBQ and / or fire ring (made from rusted out rims). When scrap iron prices go up to $200 a ton be sure to lock up your tractor rim BBQ.
    only if you use calcium chloride or some home brew mix. The modern fluids probably make the rims last longer.

Blog Entries
    Rim Guard looks good. It is sort of expensive. Rim Guard $400
    Calcium $140 . It seems like small potatoes. The farmers around here are a paradox. They roll the dice on getting their crops in which takes an investment of several million dollars while living in a mobile home and driving an old truck with half a million miles the odometer.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-09-2024 at 9:59 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I had loaded rear tires on the MF35 that belonged to the farm and it needed them when I added the loader, especially in the winter or going up hills. I had a set of calcium loaded 14.9/38 tires on a parts Farmall H I bought, and put them on my personal H that I used and then on the Farmall 300 when I bought that. I had the fluid out of one of them a couple of times. Once I took the tire to the shop to be repaired, but they charged $200 for labor to put in a new tube and refill the CaCl, so I did it myself after that by hand, which was not fun but cheaper. On the other hand it also was not fun rolling a loaded tire that big around and getting it back on the tractor, so in the end I thought it better to be unhappy at a lower price. Then I finally bought new tires for the 300 and left them dry, and it was still fine for the log arch, wagons, and cutting and baling hay, and with chains it did fine in the winter with the snow blower.

I think that wheel weights are better than fluid, but more expensive that calcium. They may not be more expensive than RimGard, but I don't know for modern tractors. The ones I owned ranged from 1941 to 1955, and the farm's tractor was a 1963, so there were old wheel weights that fitted them floating around to be bought relatively easily.

When I bought my current tractor 22 years ago the dealer automatically loaded the rear tires if you got a FEL. And they used Rim Guard, otherwise known as beet juice, which is environmentally safe and won't kill anything on the ground if you get a leak. There are times when working in close quarters that you don't want something hanging off your 3 point, especially a backhoe. Years ago I replaced my lift and curl cylinders with larger ones to increase lift capacity and I can still have a bucket full of dirt or rocks without additional rear weight. Of course, this works well with larger tires having more capacity. This doesn't work well with the subcompacts like the BX or other brands. Another option for them is to make a concrete block to attach to your 3 point. That gives you a lot of weight in a compact size and is faster than using a bunch of expensive suitcase weights. I made one for when I use my forks on heavy lifts.

What is the fluid? Glycol?

I also have a carrier on the back which we use to bring in firewood. The lift capacity of the BX is limited. At first I thought I'd get a bigger tractor but after getting the left rear tire off the ground I decided it would be best to have my neighbor do the heavy lifting with him Bobcat. It does all I need done safely.