Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: super surfacer knife grinder?

super surfacer knife grinder?

What sort of machine is required to maintain the knives of a super surfacer (fixed knife finish planer)?

Hi Kevin, here is a video my Mark Hennebury talking about a dedicated machine for the job, though I expect this may have been the Rolls Royce approach.

https://youtu.be/caixlHgND6I?si=UuZZ-2snef3nHJWS

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Surface grinder or maybe a jig to hold the blade on your planer bed then use the planer knife grinder on it.
    Bill D

I use a Jet version of the Tormek with a Tormek planer blade attachment for my Makita SS blade. I also do my jointer and planer blades

Here is a manual grinder. They have the rough grinder and a super-fine cup wheel for honing a 1deg micro-bevel. the geometry is pretty specific.
    Royal FX 012.jpg Royal FX 013.jpgRoyal FX 010.jpgRoyal FX 009.jpg

Not bad for a what ,a $5,000 grinder?
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 01-08-2024 at 6:54 PM.

They are a lot more than that new. But they can earn their keep in the right situations. The are incredible machines, they do an incredible job for sharpening incredible blades that go on incredible machines, that do an incredible job surfacing incredible wood.....I guess you have to appreciate incredible though.
    Almost forgot the grinders were made in the 70's ...not a bad Return on investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Not bad for a what ,a $5,000 grinder?
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 01-08-2024 at 8:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    They are a lot more than that new. But they can earn their keep in the right situations. The are incredible machines, they do an incredible job for sharpening incredible blades that go on incredible machines, that do an incredible job surfacing incredible wood.....I guess you have to appreciate incredible though.
    Almost forgot the grinders were made in the 70's ...not a bad Return on investment.

That right there is incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Here is a manual grinder. They have the rough grinder and a super-fine cup wheel for honing a 1deg micro-bevel. the geometry is pretty specific.
    Royal FX 012.jpg Royal FX 013.jpgRoyal FX 010.jpgRoyal FX 009.jpg

What is the specific geometry they require? The blade in my Makita super surfacer is a single bevel.

Kevin,

Kanefusa also makes disposable knives that fit in a dedicated knife holder, eliminating the need to have the grinder. Mark probably knows more about these.

Thanks
    Matt

hollow ground backs on the blade and back-knife.

Knife Rough grind 30° ± 30´
    Knife Lap 31° ± 30´ lap 0.3 - 0.5mm micro bevel.

Back-knife Rough grind 35° ± 30´
    Back-knife lap at 65-80° ± 2° micro- bevel is 0.2 - 0.3mm
    Round off the edge between the rough-grind and lap face.

Chip-breaker set-back is critical to surface finish
    On hardwoods 0.2 - 0.3 mm
    On Softwoods 0.3 -0.4 mm
    Throat opening 0.4 - 0.5mm
    Nose bar protrusion above table 0.04 -0.06

Good starting points, but Experiment with these as it is somewhat dependent on the species and grain of the wood, and the shear angle and the thickness of the shaving.

There is a sweetspot, the perfect relationship of all the variables, once you have witnessed it it is like a drug, a bright light, where you need to stay, the sound of a razor-sharp knife slicing through wood fiber's, a beautiful delicate shaving, remarkable separating from the wood surface and gracefully floating down, and the wood surface, shimmering in high definition, with deep vibrant color's every pore clean and visible, smooth a silk.
    The pursuit of absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    What is the specific geometry they require? The blade in my Makita super surfacer is a single bevel.

What fun is that?
    Yes you can get disposable knives, with a special knife holder, apparently they do a great job, I have not used them but have bought them in for customers.

Kanefusa make awesome cutting tools! Best router bit that I ever had was a Kanefusa.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Tebo View Post
    Kevin,

Kanefusa also makes disposable knives that fit in a dedicated knife holder, eliminating the need to have the grinder. Mark probably knows more about these.

Thanks
    Matt
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 01-09-2024 at 1:39 AM.

A bit of a post ambush. I have been interested in super surfacers since Makita USA released theirs about 40 years ago. I noticed several used machines for sale on ebay from japan - 100 volt. Is it possible to power these in the US?

Blog Entries
    I use the Kanefusa disposable knives, they're excellent.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

This is a video made in Japan in the 80's i believe. A study of the relationship between several variable's in chip-breaker set-up; shaving thickness - chip-breaker lap angle - chip-breaker setback from the knife cutting edge and the resulting effect on the wood finish. It is quite fascinating. A great educational video for anyone using handplanes or supersurfacers