Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another upgrade and expansion to the shop.

Blog Entries

Yet another upgrade and expansion to the shop.

Just two months after expanding, the opportunity to expand further arose and we took it. Business is booming and we got a great deal on another 1500 sft of shop space. We are opening up a wall and adding another 8’ door into the new space. The video shows it all, and our new 24” bandsaw.

https://youtu.be/rtVBdNFkIwM?si=bTht4N5vpjgRgKa8

That was a good video tour...and congrats on that new, larger space addition. It's in a more unifying spot which should help a lot with workflow and convenience over time...no crossing over the "public" corridore to get to your material, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That was a good video tour...and congrats on that new, larger space addition. It's in a more unifying spot which should help a lot with workflow and convenience over time...no crossing over the "public" corridore to get to your material, etc.
    Spot on, sir! Also it quickly became apparent that we are going to be getting a lot more 16’ and up lumber, and storage will be much easier in the new space. The new space also is closer to the 3 phase box! In the next couple of months, we have a 20’ mahogany bar, 15 more doors, 60 tv boxes, 60 chairs, and 15 tables to build, and likely two large bookcases.

hah! No rest for the weary. Hopefully, the bar project comes with, um...beverages...as a just reward.
    --

Blog Entries
    hah! No rest for the weary. Hopefully, the bar project comes with, um...beverages...as a just reward.
    I have always wanted to build a big mahogany bar. I have built small portable ones for Cruzan Rum to use at events, but never a huge one. I was so proud and excited when the owner of the hotel approached me to build the bar. I tell you- every time I sit at that bar, I’m going to tell people I made it!!! I’m not a big drinker, but I may become one because I plan to sit there a lot. (Hahaha).

We are growing fast, but being very cautious not to grow too fast. The landlord gave us a huge break because he likes us and wants to keep us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post

We are growing fast, but being very cautious not to grow too fast. The landlord gave us a huge break because he likes us and wants to keep us.
    It's wise to be cautious while also embracing opportunity. "Stuff happens" can go in either direction! Hopefully "up" for you for sure!
    --

I have always wanted to build a big mahogany bar. I have built small portable ones for Cruzan Rum to use at events, but never a huge one. I was so proud and excited when the owner of the hotel approached me to build the bar. I tell you- every time I sit at that bar, I’m going to tell people I made it!!! I’m not a big drinker, but I may become one because I plan to sit there a lot. (Hahaha).

Looking good! Reminds me of the Seamus the carpenter joke...

Looking good, Malcolm! It's nice to see that you're growing and able to expand your business. Congratulations!

Blog Entries
    I have a key now. Here is the new space, and I was wrong- it’s slightly bigger than I said. It’s around 1800 sft. 48x34 with a 12x17 dog leg off that.

IMG_3137.jpg

Wow...what a nice space addition!! You can get some serious racking in there for materials and be able to take advantage of cost opportunities for things you tend to work with a lot, not to mention segment your production so you work back to front from rough to assembly to "out the door" in a way that's probably difficult with just the original space. Nice!!
    --

Blog Entries
    Installed 8x8 door into new shop area and moved wood racks. Next decision: paint floors or leave bare?
    IMG_3412.jpg IMG_3413.jpg IMG_3414.jpg IMG_3415.jpg

I tried taking pics vertical and horizontal and they still come out sideways.

Looking great! Quite a stroke of luck with that place!

Installed 8x8 door into new shop area and moved wood racks. Next decision: paint floors or leave bare?
    If you think you would enjoy the space more with the floor cleaned up, "now" is the time to do it!

I tried taking pics vertical and horizontal and they still come out sideways.
    If you are uploading directly from an iOS device, this is going to be an issue. The solution is to process the photos and re-write to new files in the orientation you want.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ideways-on-SMC
    --

Blog Entries
    If you think you would enjoy the space more with the floor cleaned up, "now" is the time to do it!

If you are uploading directly from an iOS device, this is going to be an issue. The solution is to process the photos and re-write to new files in the orientation you want.

Good point with the floor. Should do that now.

I know acoit the pic issue, but I have to use the phone because it’s just too much trouble otherwise.

I just e-mail the photos to myself, and upload them from my computer. Seems to always solve the problem, if not I have tons of photo retouching programs that I use all the time, so that takes no time at all. But since I find the e-mail solution the easiest, that's my route.

I'm also concerned about the last post in that thread that Jim posted about correcting the photo orientation. Are my photos going to the equator and being flushed in the wrong direction???? Oh the humanity!!

Great looking space, Malcolm. Please post completed pictures of that mahogany bar. It looks to be sensational.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.