Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a new beast of a planer

Blog Entries
    That's a huge budget and you live in the rust belt.

Go used and you can get nearly anything your heart desires.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post

Clearly that would have a digital read out, yes?
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    lol
    You should be able to get someone to buy and install one for well under $3,000.
    Bill D

lol
    you could certainly add it. That one is allegedly a complete package; converter, transformer, hell it even comes with the dust collection..

That SCMI is a very good deal in LA. I thought that was where the OP was located, which would mean the end of this discussion. I see he is in Wisconsin now. I would search Facebook Marketplace, Wood Web, and Craigslist. You can also peruse the auction sites, but I think you are better off seeing the machine in person before committing. With most auctions, it is hard to get that chance.

You didnt say what you make. Also, what is your current machine?

If you are currently getting by with a 15-20" import 4 post planer, then i think

(3) Marketplace - SCMI S52 20" Planer 3ph | Facebook or (3) Marketplace - S630 24" SCMI Planer | Facebook would be solid upgrade budget machines. It definitely frees up enough room in the budget for a phase converter, and adding a small widebelt sander. Depending on what you do with your 1/8" pieces--are these bent laminations for spiral staircases and railings?--you might be better served with finishing to final dimension with a sander. A fair amount of knowledgeable guys have good things to say about the 15-16" cantilevered import widebelts that at maybe $5-6,000. I assume your 1/8" thick pieces are under 20" in width.

(3) Marketplace - 24” planer EMA | Facebook while these are generally considered a very robust planer, i think this is getting older than you want and more prone to being a headache if it breaks.

If you really want a one-and-done planer, and you can be patient, then i would wait around for a white(newer) SCM s 630 that should have interchangeable rollers. You can swap out the outfeed rollers for rubber coated ones. Maybe you get lucky and find a xylent cutterhead, but the standard tersa is just fine. I have a 20" tersa head jointer and it gives me a better surface finish than my 20" byrd head planer. I would expect to max out your budget with a phase converter for this option.

I was in a similar situation as you years ago. When you want better quality than a 20" import planer, but are limited on power etc. it is a very shallow pool of choices. The Oliver 299 is actually one of the better choices for a high quality planer that doesnt occupy a massive footprint and typically only has a 5-7.5hp motor. I cannot power a 10+ motor along with my cyclone on my home's current service. I ended up just stomaching my 20" powermatic planer with the intent of moving one day. I also toned down my side hustle wwing business as my primary job skyrocketed.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have a SCMI 520S and it is all the things you want, except single phase. I went with the Tersa Head and would never have anything else at this point. Changing all 4 knives takes 4 minutes, better cuts than my previous PM with a Byrd. Its a 4 speed, which I actually prefer to electronic speed control. 16-72FPM. Almost no sanding.
    Great machine you got there.

Here’s one of the few machines in 10 hp with single phase. Powered movement, segmented infeed.

https://baileigh.com/woodworking/woo...ner-ip-2509-hd

Quote Originally Posted by Robert London View Post
    Here’s one of the few machines in 10 hp with single phase. Powered movement, segmented infeed.

That is the exact same as the Laguna with a different paint job, for about $1000 less. Not bad!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    Do they even make planers that wide any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    You didnt say what you make. Also, what is your current machine?

If you are currently getting by with a 15-20" import 4 post planer, then i think

(3) Marketplace - SCMI S52 20" Planer 3ph | Facebook or (3) Marketplace - S630 24" SCMI Planer | Facebook

(3) Marketplace - 24” planer EMA | Facebook

If you really want a one-and-done planer, and you can be patient, then i would wait around for a white(newer) SCM s 630 that should have interchangeable rollers. You can swap out the outfeed rollers for rubber coated ones. Maybe you get lucky and find a xylent cutterhead, but the standard tersa is just fine. I have a 20" tersa head jointer and it gives me a better surface finish than my 20" byrd head planer. I would expect to max out your budget with a phase converter for this option.
    Thanks for the reply, Patrick. I'm currently using a Woodmaster 15" with spiral head. And, I have two 15" Grizzly widebelts. I'm getting a 30" dual drumsander, tomorrow.

Really appreciate the Marketplace searches.
    I rule out the SCMI S52, because I really want a fully electronic read out, along with digital bed movement.
    I rule out the S630, because too many features weren't working (I spoke w/seller).
    I rule out the EMA planer, because it's non-digital.

Indeed, I do plan on doing my final finishing on my new drumsander, but being able to plane down close to final dimensions, helps with production time. I supply the crafters marketplace with wood premilled to exact specs, both thick and thin...however being able to mill the thin stock, is the most challenging. Most of my 1/8" pieces are under 15".

I too think I may need to wait for a newer S630, or a Felder, or a Minimax, or who knows. I'm not well versed on machines at this level of quality, so this thread is helping me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert London View Post

Wow...this could be my solution, Robert....
    I wonder if I can swap the outfeed rollers, for something rubber....
    I'm not familiar with Baileigh brand. Anyone else know of them?

Just a note that you can add an aftermarket digital read out to the planer bed raise and lower that is of equal or higher quality than what is integrated into the OEM package, even on this higher end Euro equipment. I have an Accurate Technologies Pro Scale DRO on my older SCM planer, and it is accurate to within 0.001” across the entire width of the 20” bed. Of course, you have to be able to set knives parallel to the bed to the same tolerance for that to be fully utilized (and I do) but this is easier/eliminated with an indexed cutter head.

I would argue that something like a Pro Scale might even be preferred long term as they are easier to service / replace parts for if and when something goes wrong years down the line compared to something that was integrated into the machine by the OEM that is likely to change specs and details over time as the models receive factory updates, etc.

My planer does not have automated / digital bed positioning, but does have a motorized rise and fall with a switch and fine adjust with a hand wheel. This is simple and future proof, imo, but I do understand the convenience of digital bed positioning in certain production situations.

Just for reference, I have about $2000 into this machine as it sits and it is accurate to within 0.001” across the entire bed width, has a top quality DRO, can plane down to 1/8” and up to 9”, and can take anywhere between minimal / 1/64” and ~1/4”+ passes and do it all day. A Tersa style head would be a nice convenience eventually, but quality HSS set accurately can produce remarkable results. You can get what you need easily within your budget or perhaps considerably less and can afford a machine that is much higher quality / multigenerational machine that isn’t Chaiwanese if you look used and 3 phase.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still waters run deep.

What was the cost of the digital scale approx? I get by without that stuff and dont need a power table as the invincible is so smooth its easy to raise then its only 300 MM approx. Have a wadkin to bring to life (24") and its powered and has a hand crank that is a pain compared to the SCM but the table is serious weight compared and its the lighter of the two wadkins actually the middle one as there is one lighter one. I priced a tersa for it and it was about 7k if I understood all. For your knife accuracy which is very good are you getting that off the grinder or setting them in. Past experience shops that grind dont get stuff that straight so I arrive at a fine level with a bit of tapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    What was the cost of the digital scale approx? I get by without that stuff and dont need a power table as the invincible is so smooth its easy to raise then its only 300 MM approx. Have a wadkin to bring to life (24") and its powered and has a hand crank that is a pain compared to the SCM but the table is serious weight compared and its the lighter of the two wadkins actually the middle one as there is one lighter one. I priced a tersa for it and it was about 7k if I understood all. For your knife accuracy which is very good are you getting that off the grinder or setting them in. Past experience shops that grind dont get stuff that straight so I arrive at a fine level with a bit of tapping.
    Last I checked the Pro Scale DRO is around $400. I think I got mine for less when they were having an annual sale a handful of years back. Of course, there is Wixey for ~1/3 the cost, but I don't think it matches Pro Scale in quality, longevity, precision or customer support...so you get what you pay for.

The DRO has changed my world when planing; I would not want to be without it at this point from a workflow and efficiency standpoint. I do prefer something aftermarket like the Pro Scale, though compared to an integrated OEM supplied unit as something will inevitably go haywire with it and accessing and servicing it will likely be less straightforward than dealing with Pro Scale, who you can call and easily source and replace any part of the system. Just my opinion, of course...I like DRO, but I do not really like onboard, integrated computer / automated stuff on my machines from a long term reliability POV...personal preference as someone who works on their own machines when they need it and values the simplicity of analog most of the time.

What model is the Wadkin? T630?

I am not using the grinder these days on the L'invincibile as it needs a new wheel and a bit of tune up and I just haven't had the time to sort it all out 100%. I've actually taken it off the machine since the above photo was taken, but have it stored for another day.

I'm setting knives with Panhans magnetic knife setting guides/blocks and a dial indicator on mag base stuck to the bed. I have the mag guides set precisely at this point and use them to set, then check/verify with dial and lightly tap while final tightening as needed but it's usually extremely close or dead on with the magnetic guides. I have a few sets of nice HSS knives from CGG Schmidt and they stay sharp and cut beautifully for quite a while as long as I don't send junk through them.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 01-11-2024 at 6:52 AM.
    Still waters run deep.

I'm not familiar with Baileigh brand. Anyone else know of them?
    They were a vendor sponsor of this forum for awhile back when vendor advertising was more prevalent. A number of 'Creekers have machines from them. AFAIK, they source machines about the same way as many other sellers so it's likely that the same machine is available in "multiple colors". I have no personal experience with the company.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...