Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for another bandsaw. Suggestions?

Looking for another bandsaw. Suggestions?

I have a 24" SCMI bandsaw and a Jet 14" bandsaw with a riser block. I'm looking for another bandsaw to replace the Jet, one that has a brake, handwheel height adjustment and generally better built. An 18" or there about seems to be the sweet spot based on the work I intend to do with it. Any suggestions?

Buy another saw made in Europe, used would be the way to go. No way would I buy anything from the South China Sea area.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Buy another saw made in Europe, used would be the way to go. No way would I buy anything from the South China Sea area.
    Sage advice Richard. What European or other bandsaws are recommended? I would like to kick up the quality a notch and consider less about the cost.

I love the Minimax S45N. No footbrake but the flywheels are pretty lightweight, so don’t keep spinning forever, like some of the bigger resawing machines.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I love the Minimax S45N. No footbrake but the flywheels are pretty lightweight, so don’t keep spinning forever, like some of the bigger resawing machines.

Erik
    Looks promising Erik. But no footbrake? I'm currently looking at an old Extrema that seems interesting.

Handwheel height adjustment? Seems like overkill for smaller saws. A three phase machine run by a vfd has braking with no moving parts to wear out and multiple brake switches added where ever needed.
    My lathe has four off/brake switches. Planer has one in front and one on the outfeed end.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Handwheel height adjustment? Seems like overkill for smaller saws. A three phase machine run by a vfd has braking with no moving parts to wear out and multiple brake switches added where ever needed.
    My lathe has four off/brake switches. Planer has one in front and one on the outfeed end.
    Bill D
    The handwheel height adjustment is a convenience, one that I enjoy on my SCMI 24" bandsaw but wish my 14" Jet had. I never thought about a VFD setup on a bandsaw before. I wonder if the following Jet 18" metal/wood bandsaw has that technology. Absent is a foot brake. Anyone have any experience with this bandsaw?
    https://jettools.com/metalworking/sa...v-single-phase

It's interesting about handwheels. I had one on my Jet bandsaw but I like my Parks better which just has a hexagonal rod that slides. The rack teeth used to get clogged with sawdust and I would have to scrape them clean from time to time. With the rod I can go from 11" down to 3" and back in under a second, so I like that. Actually I like my current drill press where the table just slides up and down the column better than the one I used to have with a rack and pinion for the same reason. It's a lot faster, though a bit more effort.

After looking more into the Jet VBS-18MWEVS bandsaw it appears to have a 3 phase motor running off of single phase power through a VFD. Switching from wood to metal cutting does require a belt change though. Seems to be an interesting design. Are there any European makers out there with a similar setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Looks promising Erik. But no footbrake? I'm currently looking at an old Extrema that seems interesting.
    Steve, are you looking for a new bandsaw or a previously-owned one? I somehow thought you were thinking “new”.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    The handwheel height adjustment is a convenience, one that I enjoy on my SCMI 24" bandsaw but wish my 14" Jet had. I never thought about a VFD setup on a bandsaw before. I wonder if the following Jet 18" metal/wood bandsaw has that technology. Absent is a foot brake. Anyone have any experience with this bandsaw?
    https://jettools.com/metalworking/sa...v-single-phase
    With a VFD it conceivably would not need a foot brake. With the addition of a resistor to the VFD, dynamic braking could be implemented. I'm not sure if Jet has done that, but it would not be difficult to do with a VFD.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Steve, are you looking for a new bandsaw or a previously-owned one? I somehow thought you were thinking “new”.

Erik
    I'm always open to used to save money but at this point I'm more interested in getting what I want if that can be nailed down. The more I dive into what's available the more that changes. But for certain I want a bandsaw that is better in quality than my current Jet with a riser block. Improvement over that would include a foot brake or some form of blade brake and a height adjustable handwheel. I would prefer something USA made, then European but wouldn't be opposed to manufacture elsewhere if the quality is there. I only mentioned the Extrema bandsaw because it seemed very well made. The Jet wood/metal bandsaw seemed interesting because it involved a VFD.

I mentioned earlier that I also have a 24" SCMI bandsaw that is used primarily for resawing. I'm beginning to think that an 18" bandsaw might be large enough to do my resawing and other lighter tasks as well. One bandsaw to do both would free up some limited floor space.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 01-08-2024 at 11:21 AM.

Why not use the 24" SCMI for both?
    I use a 24" Felder for resaw and curves etc. Just change blades.

The advantage of the 24" is bigger table = more support and room to swing larger pieces of wood when cutting curves and everything else.
    Last edited by Stephen Bandirola; 01-08-2024 at 2:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bandirola View Post
    Why not use the 24" SCMI for both?
    I use a 24" Felder for resaw and curves etc. Just change blades.

The advantage of the 24" is bigger table = more support and room to swing larger pieces of wood when cutting curves and everything else.
    Great idea but I finally remembered why I have 2 bandsaws. The convenience of not having to switch blades is not worth the savings in floor space.

That's why I have two too. I prefer to use both 1/4" and 1/2" blades when cutting out banjo necks, and being able to walk from saw as needed without stopping is a huge benefit. I have an 18" and a 10", so much smaller than yours, but the principle should be the same.