Thread: Curly maple and Peruvian walnut Critique requested

Curly maple and Peruvian walnut Critique requested

Ok, this is unusual for me. I like the look of leaf platters, but my piece of curly maple was deeper than the usual leaf platter. I can't bring myself to waste curly maple, so i went for a deeper bowl. I call this a Viking bowl because I don't know what else to call it, and it looks a little like a Viking long boat. I am not sure what to think about this one. One day I like it, and the next I think it looks ridiculous. My wife is not crazy about it, and she is usually right when it comes the the arty stuff. I would like a critique. Please be brutal. If you think it, say it. It won't bother me, and I'll probably learn something good. Maybe I can make a new one that looks better. By the way, I won't use P walnut anymore for anything where the walnut is "structural". Here that means the base, and the wood to join the two pieces. P walnut is almost as strong as balsa wood, but not quite. This thing is fragile.

Viking Vessel Brian Brown.jpg
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Brian, i am not an artsy type of guy, but i really like it. I think it is quite attractive and visually very appealing.

Pretty piece, strong distaste for the knots, looks more museum than home use. Looks well built.

Brian, I am going to take a risky position here and openly disagree with your wife. I like the piece. It has good form, nice curves and I love the contrast of the two woods as well as the shape of the walnut inset. It has a very modernistic feel about it and I believe it would do well in the right gallery. I would have preferred to see the base/stand have a curvature that replicated the bowl. The curve on it isn’t actually consistent, but that is a very minor complaint. Well done!!!

Left click my name for homepage link.

It looks absolutely stunning and I'd be happy to have it on my shelf and say I made it! I will agree the knots are a little unfortunate.
    It also has Viking horns as well as the longboat

While not qualified to critique anyone's turnings. I know what i like and I like this piece. It is different than anything I've seen before.
    I really like the woods and the design. Well done!
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Brian, I am going to take a risky position here and openly disagree with your wife. I like the piece. It has good form, nice curves and I love the contrast of the two woods as well as the shape of the walnut inset. It has a very modernistic feel about it and I believe it would do well in the right gallery. I would have preferred to see the base/stand have a curvature that replicated the bowl. The curve on it isn’t actually consistent, but that is a very minor complaint. Well done!!!
    I agree with all the above,
    I find the proportions to be well done and nothing is over accentuated.
    A very cohesive piece.

Like this ! It’s ancient ships with space-age trim ! Helen would have been glad to be taken aboard !

Brian, I like it! The contrasting woods with the grain in the curly maple and the Peruvian walnut play beautifully together! I agree with John Keeton, the base could have used a minor form change but as he said that's minor! I like the overall form except as I noted. Well done, Sir!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-07-2024 at 2:13 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I like it a lot. How did you turn the maple? Did you just cut portions from a larger bowl? I’ve never tried anything like that but looks fun.
    Tom

That's essentially right. I cut my curly maple in half lengthwise, and put a piece of scrap poplar in between the maples. The scrap plus the width of the maples was equal to the length of the maples. It was in effect a funny looking bowl blank. I made a bowl, cut the poplar out with a band saw, sanded and glued the maples together with the walnut in between. I hope that makes sense, I don't explain things well.
    Brian

Tom,

Where are you at in Utah? I'm down in the Layton area a lot for family stuff.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    That's essentially right. I cut my curly maple in half lengthwise, and put a piece of scrap poplar in between the maples. The scrap plus the width of the maples was equal to the length of the maples. It was in effect a funny looking bowl blank. I made a bowl, cut the poplar out with a band saw, sanded and glued the maples together with the walnut in between. I hope that makes sense, I don't explain things well.
    Thanks, that makes sense.

I’m just south of Provo - just moved here from Chicago a couple years ago. A lot less hardwoods here in the desert compared to the Midwest, though our monthly turners club meetings are at craft supplies which is pretty cool.

Tom

I like it too. Very nicely composed, good color contrasts and not the same ole same ole. Agree with above comments that it looks like a museum piece. Thanks for sharing!