Work and play keep me busy enough that I don't often get to build for myself. When I do, I usually try to pack in a bunch of different challenges, ideas, concepts I've come across so I can learn as much as I can and walk away with something pretty unique.

The maple top was supposed to be a small workbench but my wife wouldn't allow it. (too pretty). So it ended up as a desktop. I believe that was finished in osmo gloss, but it was built a while ago and was a desk on sawhorses for probably a year.

The riftsawn white oak ply boxes were scrap from my last project. They are blackened with rubio precolor easy intense black and then finished with a coat of rubio mahogany (leftovers) and then a coat of rubio sheen plus. In just the right light you can see a touch of red in the finish but I can't imagine anyone would ever notice in normal conditions. The inlays are flame maple from the burn bin finished in rubio pure.

The curly maple is finished with rubio pure, then sheen plus, then a wax polish. The integrated pulls are shaped off of the surf foils that I ride and initially colored with the rubio precolor easy intense black, then rubio pure, then wax.

All in all I'm happy with it. I learned a lot, tried a bunch of new techniques, made mistakes, fixed them, and most importantly I managed to avoid refinishing the floors and putting in baseboards.

IMG_4340.jpg13ED6306-9A1B-48BD-B475-1622AA893521.jpg