Thread: What % of Classifieds sales are after the first look?

What % of Classifieds sales are after the first look?

I just unloaded a number of miscellaneous items into Classifieds. And I see, as per, many views and no replies yet. I do that all the time myself. Cool. That's not my point here.

Someone clinks on a listing, reads, maybe ponders, and says "Yeah, buddy! Me-me-me!!" It's sold.

On a different item, someone clicks on the listing, reads, ponders, says "Nah" and moves on. But it stays in the back of his mind, and he later returns to buy. Same price, same terms - just a revised decision.

What % of sales do you think come from the second group - initial "pass", but then a sale?

I'm thinking doodly-squat.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I can't put a percentage in my head on that, but it's always a matter of "timing is everything", assuming the price asked is reasonable for the "thing" being offered. My own buying has often been, see it and immediately ask to buy it" and that's generally because if something catches my eye, it's either something I need or something I've wanted and hoped would come up. I scarfed up a DF500 a couple weeks ago in that respect. But there have been a few times that I actually had to think about it and if I decided on a go, I was thankful something was still there. From a selling standpoint, I've experienced the whole range between immediate buy all the way to giving up and pulling the ad. Even then, "timing is everything" generally applies. (and honestly, this is all true for FB Marketplace, too)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

On stuff i'm marginally interested in, i'll set it aside mentally to let it soak--then i normally forget about it. Until...a few days or a week later somebody asks a question on the listing, which prompts me to either make a decision to buy or ponder longer (only to forget about it again). I'd guess that about half the tools i buy on forums are on the first look, the other half on the reminder look.
    On a wood trading site i'm active on, if it's something i want at the right price, i buy it in the moment (or it's gone!!)

I would offer it is based on the item and price. LN stuff with a below market price is a one look no brainer. Regular market price is the ponder, do i need it that bad decision.

Hard to pass up a sweet deal, i have over twenty routers. Why, too cheap to pass up.

Tool addict, chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Herzog View Post

.......i have over twenty routers.....
    Holy Catfish, Mudhead!! I completely forgot the two banker's cartons full of 690 motors and bases plus the odd Makita trim router!!

Thanks, Chris !!!! - I gotta decide what to keep and get the rest listed.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Holy Catfish, Mudhead!! I completely forgot the two banker's cartons full of 690 motors and bases plus the odd Makita trim router!!

Thanks, Chris !!!! - I gotta decide what to keep and get the rest listed.

Timing is a big thing for me. I would put a dent in those PC690"s IF I was flush. At this time of the year, I am saving up to pay property taxes and first of the year medical expenses. Other times of the year especially when working overtime, I see, and I buy. Too often it seems what I want comes up when I don't have the money. I must say somehow the collection of tools in basement and garage just seems to grow steadily. I am surprised from time to time to move something or open a box and say where did that come from.
    Ron

Blog Entries
    With a shop full of stuff, I'm rather reluctant to purchase more stuff.

Then someone lists something I don't have and would like to have and it gets bought if the price is reasonable.

Sometimes the item is wanted, but not really needed and the price is above my liking. Then hopefully someone else will buy it. If the price drops, it may get my attention again and be purchased.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This may be incalculable. Everyone has different levels of money, different levels of impulse control, and different levels of need for listed item. Also each item has a different levels of quality/wear/pricing as compaired to new/ pricing($10 or 10,000).

So I would grade myself as enough money that im going to eat if I make my usual poor choices in impulse control, but I do have everything I need to operate my shop. I look and if I do come across something that is something I dont have, something expendable such as wood, or something that would be an upgrade to what I do have I look at price. I generally am on the spot 1st time buyer. If the time fits my needs I buy it there.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes my viewing of an ad is for educational reasons. Much of my knowledge is from reading the comments of others on various items.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sometimes my viewing of an ad is for educational reasons. Much of my knowledge is from reading the comments of others on various items.

jtk
    This is a good point, good reason to merely "window shop".
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    This is a good point, good reason to merely "window shop".
    I've learned one heck of a lot by reading (and looking at the images) on Patrick Leach'es monthly tools for sale list.

You never know when some of the odd ball tools might show up in a yard sale, estate sale, junk shop or other place of commerce somewhere.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    Good point. I click on sutff I already know I have no use for, just to learn

Same for Turner's Forum - zero chance of me going down that rabbit hole, but I do enjoy learning.

Many times on ebay I will add a for sale item to my watchlist and wait a few days to buy it. Often get 5-15% off offers within 36 hours. Only works for buy it now items.
    Bill D