Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 12 /14 alongside sliding saw

Blog Entries

Delta 12 /14 alongside sliding saw

So my ultimate vision so far is to have a full size sliding saw and a nice cabinet saw or short stroke saw. (Large sliding saw vision is admittedly shaky as I may save up for a cnc instead).

I am always keeping an eye on local for sale stuff and came across a Delta 12/14. Doubt I'll go with it, but it made me wonder if having a cabinet or short slider with 12 inch blade would help with blade overlap between the big slider and this saw?

Are the arbors on most euro sliders compatible with 1 inch bores? I'm assuming not, but thought to ask the Sawmill hive mind before going down the Google rabbit hole.

Cheers!
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

I have a setup very similar to what you’re describing with a 12’ slider and an old Martin T17 that’s more like a cabinet saw with a sliding table off to the side. I really like having both and feel they compliment each other nicely. I much prefer ripping on the T17, but if I could only have one it would have to be the large slider. If you ever break down sheet goods it’s amazing how fast you can accurately get your parts cut compared to a cabinet saw.

Arbor size is good to consider. Both of my saws and my shapers have 1.25” arbors/spindles so I can swap blades between saws, and I even use shaper cutters quite often on my T17 with the dado arbor extension. I would think you could use reduction bushings to make up the difference, but this might apply to shapers more so than saws. Most Euro sliders I see have 30mm arbors but most Martins in the states I come across have 1.25”.

I don’t have any experience with the Delta 12/14, but I would hold out for a nice used slider if you can wait. I haven’t ventured into the CNC world yet, but if/when I do I would not sell my slider. I find myself using 350mm blades 95% of the time but nice that the saws can accept larger if need be.

SCM/Minimax uses 5/8 and 1" bore for the North American market (at least in my experience) but you may be looking at a different situation with other Euro brands. Felder and many others do the 30mm arbor thing. Vintage may matter if you are shopping used. That said, many shops like the utility of having a second table saw for utility, such as dado/grooving and "traditional" ripping along the fence which is a bit uncomfortable to do on a large slider due to the machine mass required to support the wagon getting in the way of where folks prefer to stand.

Now in my shop, I have both a short stroke slider and a CNC. They are complimentary. But I'm not a commercial shop, so my needs are likely different.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There is a guy on ebay making stub arbors and nuts for the delta 12/14. I am sure he would make you a metric arbor for around $200 for the stub arbor and nut. Not all 12/14 saws had a replaceable stub arbor. Some had a one piece arbor only. Grizzly no longer sells their arbors or the saw copy.
    Bill D

If nothing else the timing of your post is quite the coincidence. I have a Griggio 10' SC-3000 slider, a Delta 12 14, and a Unisaw, and have spent the last week thinking about shop layout and which saws to keep, and how to lay them out.

I'm going to try to keep all three by using the Delta saws, set at 90 degrees to the slider, as outfeeds for the slider. That's the idea anyway.

Planned usage of the slider is primarily straight-line rips, some ripping to width, and sizing/squaring panels (after breaking down sheets with track saw). Keeping the 12 14 for higher-volume power-feeder rips, etc. Unisaw for smaller/odd hand feed usage - and because it was my first saw and I put a lot of effort into refurbishing it.

I got a good deal on the 12 14 not too long ago. Recently I saw a Griggio 1600 slider for about the same as I paid for the 12 14 and was thinking of getting it to 1) replace the 12 14, and 2) pick up some of the accessory pieces to compliment the 3000.

Blade wise, a good selection of blades came with the 12 14 and Griggio. In my case is would be which is the better saw (12 14 or 1600). There are trade-offs layout wise. I got the 12 14 from the original owner (pro shop) and they used it for all their ripping.

I'm giving up storage space to have the saws instead of cabinets under the slider outfeed. It's easier for me to start with the saws, since I already have them, and switch later if I only need the slider.

mark

Mark, this may not apply to your use but.. On my 12/14 I removed the plinth which dropped the saw 5". Then I added a mobile base which raised it 5". My mobile base was a simple frame of 2x4 iron channel welded into a ladder frame. A sheet of plywood on top to close off the base for dust collection then the saw base sitting on top.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    What type of cutters are you using on your saw? I never thought about that before. I suppose a groover?
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

I have an old Delta 12/14 saw that acts as an out feed table to my Altendorf F45 3m slider. The main reason for them facing each other back to back is, I straight line the first edge using my slider then finish the second cut on my 12/14 using a feeder. It works well for me to glue line cut my panel parts this way for glue up, both saws use Gladu glue line tcg blades.

Andrew: Pics from one of my commercial customers’ shops. That cabinet saw serves as the outfeed table for the large slider, though blade arbors are different. He loves this setup.

Erik

FA49F67C-0C10-4ABD-B5AF-9D1AC8F579E4.jpg
    D63B19E3-67F1-40EB-B053-4F749DB13D6F.jpg
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    What type of cutters are you using on your saw? I never thought about that before. I suppose a groover?
    Yes, mostly adjustable groovers and occasionally shallow profiles. When I do haunched tenons I often like to angle them to conceal the haunch and I use the sliding table/crosscut fence with a large diameter beveled cutter. I’ve started doing this more on the shaper with a bolt on table but depending on machine set ups it’s convenient to have the choice. Maybe having machines with the same size arbor/spindle is not super important, but I do find it handy.

I moved shops not long ago and have been playing around with layouts. My old setup when I had the cabinet saw with my sliding table saw was exactly like the picture Erik posted. Trying to get organized and keep up with work has proven tough!

IMG_4923.jpgIMG_4921.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Erickson View Post
    I have an old Delta 12/14 saw that acts as an out feed table to my Altendorf F45 3m slider. The main reason for them facing each other back to back is, I straight line the first edge using my slider then finish the second cut on my 12/14 using a feeder. It works well for me to glue line cut my panel parts this way for glue up, both saws use Gladu glue line tcg blades.
    I'm a little confused with the description...

Do you have photos?
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Balmer View Post
    If nothing else the timing of your post is quite the coincidence. I have a Griggio 10' SC-3000 slider, a Delta 12 14, and a Unisaw, and have spent the last week thinking about shop layout and which saws to keep, and how to lay them out.

I'm going to try to keep all three by using the Delta saws, set at 90 degrees to the slider, as outfeeds for the slider. That's the idea anyway.

Planned usage of the slider is primarily straight-line rips, some ripping to width, and sizing/squaring panels (after breaking down sheets with track saw). Keeping the 12 14 for higher-volume power-feeder rips, etc. Unisaw for smaller/odd hand feed usage - and because it was my first saw and I put a lot of effort into refurbishing it.

I got a good deal on the 12 14 not too long ago. Recently I saw a Griggio 1600 slider for about the same as I paid for the 12 14 and was thinking of getting it to 1) replace the 12 14, and 2) pick up some of the accessory pieces to compliment the 3000.

Blade wise, a good selection of blades came with the 12 14 and Griggio. In my case is would be which is the better saw (12 14 or 1600). There are trade-offs layout wise. I got the 12 14 from the original owner (pro shop) and they used it for all their ripping.

I'm giving up storage space to have the saws instead of cabinets under the slider outfeed. It's easier for me to start with the saws, since I already have them, and switch later if I only need the slider.

mark
    That sounds pretty awesome. I have a Griggio shaper and I love it. I saw a griggio 3200 for sale on ebay for 3500.

Tempting for sure if their saws are made as heavy as their shapers. How do you like the Griggio?

This 12 14 looked really beat up and doesn't even have a fence and they want 500. I'm thinking sure. I'll wait and see if you get that.

I don't mind taking on small tool projects (belts, maybe bearings) but tearing it all apart... for a cabinet saw... hmmm.. I'm not really into it.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

A full size sliding table saw and a cabinet saw back to back are a great combination. If you could find two saws with the same arbor size that would be a nice combination, as would be a saw that would take shaper tooling, but neither are essential. A few extra saw blades wouldn't set you back that much. If you have the room for a full format slider it will improve your panel handling in a big way, as would a vertical panel saw. Shuffling panels around between different machines or removing and replacing the crosscut fence on a short slider is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Shuffling panels around between different machines or removing and replacing the crosscut fence on a short slider is a waste of time.

As someone who does this out of necessity / nowhere near enough space, I can confirm that yes, it is certainly a waste of time.

I used to have a nice Tannewitz "cabinet" saw back to back with my short stroke slider for about a year. It worked reasonably well and was certainly nice to have 2 saws setup. I did not really have enough space for the arrangement to be fully realized and efficient and had an offer on the Tannewitz that convinced me to re-home it without much regret. In a bigger space, I would absolutely do it again.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Mark, this may not apply to your use but.. On my 12/14 I removed the plinth which dropped the saw 5". Then I added a mobile base which raised it 5". My mobile base was a simple frame of 2x4 iron channel welded into a ladder frame. A sheet of plywood on top to close off the base for dust collection then the saw base sitting on top.
    Bill D
    Bill - Thanks for the idea. I'd considered dropping the 12 14 to make it easier to reach across but that can't be done if I want to have it the same height as the slider, which can't be made lower. Part of my sort of wacky 90 degree orientation was because the depth of the 12 14 is very close to the width of the slider top - and I envisioned using the slider outrigger for extra outfeed depth on the 12 14 and Unisaw. Having it mobile might open up other options, or at least make servicing easier. Maybe just something that lets me use a pallet jack.

mark