Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formatting SD Cards

Formatting SD Cards

We've had some trail cameras that after I viewed the SD cards on my PC I would format them on the PC and use them in the trail cameras. I would simple replace the SD card and leave the camera in place. These trail cameras are starting to break so I purchased a new trail camera. This trail camera requires that I format it in the camera itself. If I format it on my PC it won't work in the camera.

This requires I either preview the photos in the field on my iPhone and reformat the camera on site or bring the camera into the house, view the images on my PC and format on the camera, take the camera back out and put it back up.

Is there a way to change how my PC formats so it's compatible with the trail camera? Thank you for your help.

Dave, how often is it required to actually format the card? Can you just delete old/unwanted recordings? I don't have any experience with trail cams but LOTS of experience with digital photography and don't actually find the need to format cards very often.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Why not just use 2 cards put one in the camera and format it then when you take that one out put the other in and format it. You would only have to go to the camera once for each viewing

For years, it is not uncommon to have a device recommend/insist that the formatting be done on the device.
    Are you just formatting to delete the images? If so, why not trying to just delete the images. This will/should leave the file structure setup alone - that really is all formatting does is setup the file structure.
    When you are formatting in the PC are you sure you are setting up the correct format - FAT, FAT32, exFAT, or whatever. Should be able to see what it is (Properties) before doing the format so you pick the right one if available but I don't hold out much hope for this.
    Have a look at: https://progradedigital.com/format-m...mera-computer/

Format it once on the camera just to humor it but after that delete the pictures and put it back without formatting. I'll be very surprised if that doesn't work but try it once as a test before you really rely on it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Why not just use 2 cards put one in the camera and format it then when you take that one out put the other in and format it. You would only have to go to the camera once for each viewing
    My Stealth cam trail camera recommends that you let the camera format the card and delete any photos on the card using the camera. I use two cards and swap them out from time to time. I can copy all the files on the SG card to my laptop, leaving them on the camera SD card. When I place the used card back into the camera, I tell the camera to delete the SD card. So far ( two year) the process has worked well.

I just checked one of my trail camera cards and they use Fat32 format. Files are jpg files.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-05-2024 at 8:27 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

probably taken 50,000 photos or more on three digitals over the years okay four if the first video one that also has a 1.3 meg still shot. Cards were put in a card reader or USB stick that takes the cards put in the computer, download photos to the hard drive then card deleted all and put back in the camera to start again. Its worked perfect for all cameras and cards. When I did see format come up it was at the end of life of the cards where they started to get a bit finicky from being in and out half a gazillion times.

The reasons the cameras are probably saying to do everything (format/delete/whatever) on the camera is that the maker of the camera is not sure how good their support of the filesystem is - it may not implement all the features of the given filesystem, so they know if all interaction is done on the camera, it will never see those extra features, but if you format it on a native windows machine, it may use those extra features which could cause corruption.

Depending on exactly how important the data is, I'd try formatting on the computer, and then just see if it works - if it does, you are good to go, if you see corruption, just format on the camera.

As far as formatting vs deleting files - if the SD card has thousands of files (which could be the cause with such cameras), formatting could be a much faster way to erase the card vs deleting that many files, so I could see why one might want to just re-format the device.

I'm with Bill on this. I have several and use SD cards for a lot of other things.

There is usually only two types of formatting NTFS or FAT, my bet being FAT32 is what the Camera likes, but you test that by putting a formatted SD card in the computer and right clicking on it and viewing its properties. So I'd experiment to see if formatting with whatever format the Camera uses, but by doing it on the PC.
    Regards,

Tom

Once again, this site has proved itself to be priceless. I've learned a ton and am continuing to learn. I'm able to download my trial cam SD card on site onto my phone and then view images and delete the ones I don't want and send the ones I do to my PC. So far so good. I'll check how it went today. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Format it once on the camera just to humor it but after that delete the pictures and put it back without formatting. I'll be very surprised if that doesn't work but try it once as a test before you really rely on it.
    I had one application where simply erasing the files wouldn't work, I had to do a quick format to get ride of existing file and write new. If I didn't format, the device would go through all the motions of writing the new database but when restarting the device the old database was still there.

ive always just erased the card when its in the computer in the USB stick. There is a feature on an SD card if you lose your photos and I have past making some mistake. You can go into the SD card and still get them back even after you have deleted them.

If you format the card can you still do that?
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 01-06-2024 at 10:45 AM.

No, once formatted, you're done.
    Regards,

Tom

I'm not sure about SD cards. Modern NVME/SSD drives have logic where the OS can tell the device if it is using certain blocks or not. In this way, the device can be smarter about certain activities - for example, if a memory cell has high use but according to the OS, it is no longer being used, it can start using some of the spare cells without having to move to data off that high use cell. In the process of formatting this device, the OS will basically tell the firmware that none of that data is being used anymore, at which point it may be very hard to get that data back (if you try to read a cell which you say is no longer in use, the device might just return empty data and not even read that memory cell).

But I'm not sure if SD cards have this logic - if not, in theory data recovery programs can get back some of the data even on a format, because most of that data is still there (mostly just the directory which has file names is erased). But that might still be a very hit or miss process depending on lots of factors.

If you delete and then use an undelete utility, those tend to work because the OS more or less just says don't show this file and free up its space, but data about it still exists. But if you write anything after deleting a file, all bets are also off, because the OS might very well store information where that file was.

It's not easy to apply with certainty all operations to SD cards but likely the concepts are the same. I'd say the operation depends on the system, not the logic in the device.
    Speaking from the Windows PC perspective, you can undelete files because the information is not altered by a regular delete - it just adjusts the entries in what I'll call the master file table to say the space is free for use. Unless the actual location(s) get overwritten the data exists and this how an undelete program works.
    Interestingly, a PC quick format works the same way, it sets up the table on the disk and leaves the actual data areas alone - this is how data recovery, similar to file delete recovery, after a format works. However, if you do the full, not quick format, then the formatting goes out and writes zeros all over the disk as part of its checking mechanism (from Vista onwards) and this destroys the data.