View Poll Results: What do you include with your signature?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just siggy and Species

7 29.17%
  • Add the date

12 50.00%
  • I don't sign my work

2 8.33%
  • I add other information

3 12.50%

Thread: Question about signing your work

Question about signing your work

When you sign your work, do you just add your siggy and wood species, or do you include the date? Please explain in reply why you do or don't choose to add certain information.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 01-03-2024 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Request for info
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I sign, write the species and add the date.

On you survey, the 2nd choice was "add the date". The first choice was "just siggy and species". So, are we supposed to assume that "add the date" also means also add the siggy and species ? Or just the date? So I chose "I add other information".

I think that you might what to change your post.

Though I no longer do artistic turnings, I sold my work in galleries for over 10 years. I was cautioned early on to not date my work. A prospective buyer might conclude that an “older” piece had not sold because it wasn’t desirable. I simply signed my name and later added my initials - JK.

These days I am building Windsor chairs though not yet have desired to sell any. I have dated those for my own purposes. In all probability at some point I will offer some for sale and will no longer date them.

Left click my name for homepage link.

John's gallery comment makes good sense. I'm strictly hobby, keep or give away and do date, name and/or initials like a logo, species (if known and there is room).

Do whatever you want. There's no set standard. Some artists don't sign anything, letting the style of their work be their signature. Some artists just sign their name or initials. Some sign and date. I can't say I've seen too many sign, date, and add the wood species, but I don't see anything wrong with that. Some don't sign in the traditional sense, but use a symbol, like a brand. Heck, you could do a QR code in inlay on the bottom if you were so inclined, with a link to a video of the piece being made. It's up to you what you want to include.

But if you want useful advice, talk to the gallery or store that will be selling them. They may have a preference, and gallery owners can sometimes be very strict on what they will and won't allow. They're often failed artists themselves, so they like to think they know better than everyone else. And if you haven't made a name for yourself yet, then it's wise to play their games. Success in the art world is more about making connections than making art, unfortunately. Please the gate keepers so they'll let you into their circle. And once you've got enough name recognition that they need you more than you need them, then you can do whatever you want. Then you become the gate keeper, and you can tell the galleries what you will and won't allow.

name, year, bowl number. Have tried archival pens and pyrography, no branding irons or laser . . . yet.

I sign each piece. For dates, I only put the year, in part because pieces sit on the shelf for a while, so the year is good enough. I sign each one, who knows, I may be famous and collectable some day. I also put wood type on each. I also use a trade mark that I have been using for my things for over 40 years. Flying Fs, which to most look like Z7. Old alias was Forkbeard. I made footbags, aka Hacky Sacks for years so Forkbeard's Footbags. Built many glider models as sacrificial victims to the wind gods on my days as a hang glider pilot, so Forkbeard's Fliers. Got into woodworking, so Forkbeard's Furniture.

robo hippy

You're right, it doesn't really make sense. I tried to edit it. I can edit the post, but not the poll. I meant to allow multiple responses. Apparently, I missed.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Blog Entries
    We burnt it in at Jakonpbe till it broke and then we started putting business cards under table held on by several coats of spray..

I used to do a signature, wood species and date but this last year I let my kids try to sell some of my accumulating work at a local farmers market and I didn’t like having work dated several years ago, so I have since stopped dating my work unless it is a commissioned piece or special gift.

I still sign all my work and put the wood species (if I know it) with a pyrography pen.

Tom

I don't sell my turnings. I include signature, species & date.

I only make turning projects when I feel like it, so I just add my name and date.