Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miter Saw Fence ???

Blog Entries

Miter Saw Fence ???

I am building a miter saw station that is more about having a lot of extra cabinet space and drawers but will be a nice addition also for quick cuts. I have the space. I know a lot of you don't use the miter saw often (can I assume you are using your table saw?) I have a space approximately 12 feet wide that is pre-plumbed with a 6" dust collection just begging for use. I have an older Bosch 10" CSMS. For those that have built a permanent miter station, do you prefer a raised fence like Jay Bates uses, or do you prefer a flat track like Marc Spagnuolo?
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

I am using the Aluminum extrusions available from Woodpeckers and others on my miter station, with the Katz-Moses stop blocks. I only use it to size straight stock, and it is aligned with the miter saw fence halves. Many have extolled the benefits of flat tracks like Marc uses, stating it allows for cross-cutting wavy edged boards. My use is after all the machining, planing and sawing is completed.

No fence, no stop blocks, no micro adjust, no T track, no rule, no pointer, no DRO, no laser. The cuts are already done, and with a few .001"s.

Blog Entries
    I have the Kreg miter saw fence/stop system. Very useful.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    So are you saying you DO NOT use a miter saw for cut offs?

I don't know what either of those guys use.
    I use the Kreg extrusions and stops on a standard 3/4 strip of whatever, mdf or ply.

Blog Entries
    I have 12’ left and 8’ right. I use a Biesemeyer stop..I can cut one or a thousand parts at a time,

Considering redoing my fence tables with melamine
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-05-2024 at 1:52 PM.

I think you could cut 1000 1/8"x1/8" strips at once- about the equivalent of a 4x4. (sorry, don't mind me...)

Blog Entries
    I thought you didn’t use stops, etc..

I was joking because if cutting "a thousand parts at one time", they would all need to be small to be cut at once by a 10 or 12" blade.

I often cut multiples by measuring the first one, and stacking that on the stock and sliding them up to the blade. It's easy to feel a difference in length of a thousandth or two.
    For short pieces, I mark on the saw table or fence with a pencil and slide the stock to the line. A vee mark helps.
    I do use a stop block sometimes with a sled, clamped to the rail with a small C clamp.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you do a lot of this and that. I don’t have to measure anything,I just move it to the rule and lock..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I have 12’ left and 8’ right. I use a Biesemeyer stop..I can cut one or a thousand parts at a time,

Considering redoing my fence tables with melamine
    Jack, do you have a pic? Unable to locate any online.

Blog Entries
    I’ll try and take some..

I am in the process of building a miter saw bench now. I bought the Woodpecker’s Stealth Stop system. I plan on imbedding the tracks in the table and not installing a fence system. The Stealth Stop tracks and stops fold down flat so that when not needed, they are totally out of the way. With no fence, I can use the table as a work bench when not using the miter saw ( station will be 10’ to left, 6 foot to the right of the saw). Stops also have micro adjust. Looking forward to completing the project and trying them out.

IMG_0227.jpg
    Last edited by Doug Colombo; 01-05-2024 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries
    You have to be careful on what stop you use. Some twist with pressure.