Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: if you want to get confused

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Have to ask the question: will eating right, exercising sufficiently, thinking good thoughts, make those added years in the nursing home worthwhile?
    Maybe you should pose the question to the 92 year old guy that just set the record for the oldest person to make a Rim-to-Rim hike (N-to-S) of the Grand Canyon.
    But he probably had to have the "nursing home shuttle" drop him off at the North Rim trailhead.

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6344326552112

(I did it when I was 60 and in pretty good shape--but I felt those excess 10 pounds every step)
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-05-2024 at 9:41 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

One of my uncles turned 90 last year. I stayed with him last September. Mentally, he's as sharp as a tack. Still drives quite well. He looks MUCH younger than 90. He takes a nap most afternoons and he can't maintain his garden like he used to, but he's doing really well. No nursing home for him. Certainly, genes are a factor here, but he has never smoked, he has never been overweight and he drinks wine every day. Staying with him was great. Every evening it was, "Glass of wine, Patrick?" and we would share a bottle. I hope to be just like him.

At 70 years old, I have lost many friends and family, for many different reasons, Some exercised and appeared to be in great shape, careful about diet and weight, some drank, some didn't, some did drugs, some didn't....they are all dead. A know a guy That I hung around with in the early 70's, he about 5' 6"always overweight, 100 + lbs over, he's still alive, and still eating doughnut's. i doubt that they have any Kale in them. Listen to your body, do what makes you feel good, ignore all the BS about what you "should and shouldn't" eat as it is mostly wrong, deeply flawed or purposely biased. Trust no one.

OttawaPopular fish oil study deeply flawed, new research says

1970s study didn't actually measure heart disease rates of Greenland Inuit, researcher says

CBC News · Posted: May 09, 2014 1:55 PM EDT | Last Updated: May 9, 2014

A popular study from the 1970s that helps sell millions of dollars' worth of fish oil supplements worldwide is deeply flawed, according to a new study being published in the Canadian Journal of Cardiology.

A new study has found that 1970's research into the cardiovascular benefits of fish oil and omega-3 fatty acids was deeply flawed. (iStock)The original study, by Danish physicians H.O. Bang and D.J. Dyerburg, claimed Inuit in Greenland had low rates of heart disease because of their diet, which is rich in fish oil and omega-3 fatty acids from eating fish and blubber from whales and seals.

"I reviewed this original paper and it turned out to be that they actually never measured the frequency of heart disease in [Inuit]," said Dr. George Fodor, the new study's lead researcher.
    "They relied upon some [public health records] in Greenland, and also relied on hearsay. People told them that [heart disease] was very rare," he said. "So this is very soft, from the point of view of science."
    Public health records

Fodor and his team of three other researchers found that the chief medical officer's annual records were likely deficient because the inaccessible, rural nature of Greenland made it difficult to keep accurate records, and also because many people didn't have access to doctors.

The sale of fish oil supplements has grown into a global billion-dollar industry. (CBC)The 2014 study has found that Inuit do have similar rates of heart disease compared to non-Inuit populations, and that death rates due to stroke are "very high."

The study also shows that the Greenland Inuit overall mortality is twice as high as non-Inuit populations.
    "Most of the researchers never read [the original 1970s] papers. They just took it at face value that what they said is so," Fodor said.
    "The fish oil capsules I don't think will stand up to a critical review. They simply don't do anything for you," he said. "The people should know that it doesn't help to prevent heart disease."
    Fodor said he's been contacted by media outlets around the world, despite the fact the paper won't be formally published by the Canadian Journal of Cardiology until later this summer. It's available online for now. Fodor, who recently retired from the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, started the study in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    One of my uncles turned 90 last year. I stayed with him last September. Mentally, he's as sharp as a tack. Still drives quite well. He looks MUCH younger than 90. He takes a nap most afternoons and he can't maintain his garden like he used to, but he's doing really well. No nursing home for him. Certainly, genes are a factor here, but he has never smoked, he has never been overweight and he drinks wine every day. Staying with him was great. Every evening it was, "Glass of wine, Patrick?" and we would share a bottle. I hope to be just like him.
    Sounds like a plan...
    Certainly life can throw you some curve balls, especially regarding health.
    But a person should do what he can to be fit enough to step up to plate and take a swing, for as long as possible.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-05-2024 at 12:59 PM.

15-20yrs ago I overheard a Pulmonary Fellow (doctor studying in lung specialties) sigh and say, to paraphrase " I wish they they would make up their minds if eggs and butter are good or bad for you. This was after a then new study (edit: again) flipped conventional wisdom on one of the two.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 01-05-2024 at 9:20 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

"When they made Chief Petty Officer, things got even worse. The food was very good, but very fattening, in the Chief's Mess. Most were doughboys."

I once heard the Chiefs Mess referred to as "the over 42 club", as in not related to their age, but to their bellies hanging over their 42" belts.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 01-05-2024 at 9:20 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

I watched some more gundry and as cynical as I was about a supplement line I think that is where its headed. Not picking on his its just got more impossible to know what eating right is. Everyone is a doctor and many contradict.

You guys had a lady Margaret Dunning. She drove her car up to a podium walked over to my friend and his wife and gave them an award, she said you people have grit. She was over 104 at the time. I was stunned no walker just like someone maybe in their 70's or 80's. If she was still here id ask. I guess as clint said it only instead "dont let the old woman in"

wont let me ad this cant even see my post argh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTjXQjS9wUs

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Six a day... max.
    But see, that's only Oreos.
    There's 6 max per day of Fig Newtons, 6 max of Windmill cookies, 6 max of Ginger Snaps .. (shall I go on? ....)
    So what you're saying, Patty, is that you're not so sure about the rest of you but your sweet tooth is healthy indeed SWMBO was the same way, her weakness was cake and/or ice cream. I would have said chocolate but I think that's due to a gene on the second X chromosome, it seems to be a genetic condition in most females. though not gender exclusive by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    So what you're saying, Patty, is that you're not so sure about the rest of you but your sweet tooth is healthy indeed SWMBO was the same way, her weakness was cake and/or ice cream. I would have said chocolate but I think that's due to a gene on the second X chromosome, it seems to be a genetic condition in most females. though not gender exclusive by any means.
    'Zactly.... the problem is really due to drinking tea... When I drink hot tea (which is the only way I drink it, winter and summer) I have a a cookie, or three.
    But I drink tea a lot, so via "programming" I want to have cookies with it. I admit it's difficult to fight this, because it's enjoyable, a simple pleasure.
    It's not even harmful if I can moderate it.
    Ice cream was a major temptation until I developed a lactose intolerance, so that temptation has gone. I eat IC on rare occasion and I take the "Dairy-Aid" pills for it.
    Chocolate ..*sigh*... I think you are right about X chromosome related. I no longer buy it. Friends always have it in their homes; I can enjoy it then.

I got confused early on in this thread, so decided against posting.

This is Ken in Idaho......looking down.....shaking his head.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Confused....welcome to the club.
    Screenshot 2024-01-06 181316.jpg

[QUOTE=Mark Hennebury;3293708]Confused....welcome to the club.
    Screenshot 2024-01-06 181316.jpg[/QUOTEHe]

It’s simple ,he’s got a side News Show. Wants to show it ‘it’s not all about ME’ .