Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: if you want to get confused

I said: "I watch what I eat, (minimal junk and NO SODA), how much I eat (portion control..caloric intake vs expenditure), and I try to do the 30 minutes (minimum) a day of exercise. It's not as easy as falling off a log, but if you stay ahead of the curve it's not overwhelmingly difficult to keep your weight down."

I didn't say WHAT to EAT, or WHAT PORTION to eat, or WHAT EXERCISE to do for 30 minutes.
    Obviously those three things have to be tailored to the individual.

But I can promise you that if you eat and drink nothing but fat laden, salt laden, simple carbs and red meat/cured [deli] meat, drink noting but soda and/or beer, and the only thing that gets you off the couch is walking to the refrigerator, (and unless you are the very rare person whose genetics make you near indestructible) you are going to have health problems, that you might have avoided.
    And since no one has a crystal ball relative their future health, why not err on the side of doing what is better for you and hope that it pays dividends down the road.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-04-2024 at 11:43 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Do do realize, of course, that "everything" by definition includes moderation.

So, dont' go overboard with this moderation schtick.
    See theres always a contradiction, now wheres my tequila.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    See theres always a contradiction, now wheres my tequila.
    Don't forget the slice of lime.... your daily serving of fruit, you know...
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-04-2024 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I said: "I watch what I eat, (minimal junk and NO SODA), how much I eat (portion control..caloric intake vs expenditure), and I try to do the 30 minutes (minimum) a day of exercise. It's not as easy as falling off a log, but if you stay ahead of the curve it's not overwhelmingly difficult to keep your weight down."

I didn't say WHAT I eat, or WHAT PORTION to eat, or WHAT exercise to do for 30 minutes.
    Obviously those three things have to be tailored to the individual.

But I can promise you that if you eat and drink nothing but fat laden, salt laden, simple carbs and red meat/cured [deli] meat, drink noting but soda and/or beer, and the only thing that gets you off the couch is walking to the refrigerator, (and unless you are the very rare person whose genetics make you near indestructible) you are going to have health problems, that you might have avoided.
    And since no one has a crystal ball relative their future health, why not err on the side of doing what is better for you and hope that it pays dividends down the road.
    When I was in the Navy, I was surrounded by guys who ate nothing but meat and potatoes and drank nothing but coffee, beer and whiskey. Most, but not all, smoked like houses on fire. These guys didn't even sleep. They were so hopped up on coffee they never slept. The chain smokers could only lay in their racks for a little while before they had to get up and have another cigarette.

When they made Chief Petty Officer, things got even worse. The food was very good, but very fattening, in the Chief's Mess. Most were doughboys.

They would laugh off any mention of eating healthy, quitting smoking or exercising. "Bunch of effin' BS" would be the typical response. When they finally retired, they were lucky to collect two or three retirement checks before being found dead in an easy chair. What a life.

I do all the cooking and food prep in our home and have for quite a few years now. (Professor Dr. SWMBO can't at this point due to a medical issue) Since we moved here to our "downsize" and a true empty nest...not including the birds and dog...I've had to adapt to "cooking for two" most of the time which honestly, was difficult at first. I'm getting there, however, and I'm very invested in being careful about "what" I make and "how much" I serve. (I plate every meal...there is no "family style" here, even for whole family meals) Both Professor Dr. SWMBO and I have benefited from the smaller portions and less dependency on every meal having "meat" in it. That, combined with staying active...not formal exercise, but less sitting around...has benefitted us both. She is down about 40 lbs; some due to her medical issue and some of which can be attributed to the change in the meals and the exercise she's getting with Oliver the dog. I only lost 10-12, especially during the shop build, but gained back five. So I have some work to do on the activity side this year.

Relative to all the videos referenced as the subject of this thread....I don't watch them nor will I. I'm married to an actual scientist. While I appreciate and even trust some woodworkers on the 'Tube, there's nothing to see in all the click-bait videos about this and that "health" content creators. I have no confusion about that at all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    When I was in the Navy, I was surrounded by guys who ate nothing but meat and potatoes and drank nothing but coffee, beer and whiskey. Most, but not all, smoked like houses on fire. These guys didn't even sleep. They were so hopped up on coffee they never slept. The chain smokers could only lay in their racks for a little while before they had to get up and have another cigarette.

When they made Chief Petty Officer, things got even worse. The food was very good, but very fattening, in the Chief's Mess. Most were doughboys.

They would laugh off any mention of eating healthy, quitting smoking or exercising. "Bunch of effin' BS" would be the typical response. When they finally retired, they were lucky to collect two or three retirement checks before being found dead in an easy chair. What a life.
    Sad but true... A lot of the CPO's I saw while I was in looked like Sgt Snorkle

^^ Well said, Jim. Mrs. Pat and I should work on emulating your example.

what set me off was a gundry you tube a day or two old on Lectins. Used to make chile and live on it maybe five beans. He goes into the story about how the beans have poison as they dont want us to eat them. Hes a renowed heart surgeon and info I would think is exact. Then on that or another it was Oatmeal is evil. Considering ive done 36 years on it almost every day I watched some of it and it just went on a got worse. I hobby jogged for 40 plus years then let it go for knees to go easier. I think the bit of knee stuff I had was from doing several roofs and the twisting and sideways walking.

The you tubes just left me confused. In my trade I can see past stuff some say as ive done this long enough. The diet stuff its just gets into things I dont know. Never drank pop but in one job lots of orange juice. That stopped when I heard about sugar levels and dont miss it all. Orange every day then sporadic grapefruit pomagranite and other.

There is a whole group of them., I ate eggs for 30 days this is what happened to me and and and. most of these guys to me are more credible than some of you tube woodworkers., At least they have degrees or MD credentials or the you tube says they do.

When mom was near the end did many trips picking up one fast food place on the drive. All back roads no traffic eat to save some time 2 hours each way. In two weeks of that same food once a day I looked like shit. I dont need a you tube guy I saw what happened. So thats a no brainer for me i did the test only wasnt doing a test just trying to save time to be with mom.

I used to listen to Coast to Coast late night and they had Wallack on. He had answers for all stuff and seemed he sold supplements for all of it so stopped listening. There was a pharmacist on same time and he covered some same but his answers or solutions were in different foods and it was easier for me to accept that. Im not a bottle vitamin guy or supplement guy as much as people have given me stuff over the years. All out of care and sure there were some good things in there.

On the excercise things never been to a gym. I do know that when I ran there were many times it be the day after and id think I feel good today then realize I ran the day before or jogged better term. Almost all the time one jog and I felt better than usual for two days after. There is something to it and I dont need to read I know it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Sad but true... A lot of the CPO's I saw while I was in looked like Sgt Snorkle
    Didn't know you're a Navy vet, Patty. Cool!

You don't even need to run.
    I can, but shouldn't (unless as my Doc says, "someone is chasing you").
    Knees are good, hips are good, feet are good, back... not so good.
    Actually the back (with bi-lateral hardware L5-S1) is fine, as long as I don't do certain things, like run.
    Anyway, walking is just as good if not better than running.
    At a brisk walk 3-4 mph you burn almost as many calories as with casual running (not talking sprinting) and the very good thing about it is that it is low-impact.
    I try to walk at least 2 miles, 3 times a week.. usually it's closer to 3 miles, 3 times a week.
    If the field gate is open, I walk up and down the bleachers at the local high school once a week (42 steps x 7)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Didn't know you're a Navy vet, Patty. Cool!
    HAHA... read the "About me" in my profile.
    But the details not mentioned...
    1973-1979 2nd Class PO.. rating ETN (ET Comm.. ETR was ET Radar).
    Duty Stations: Basic at Orlando (now closed),
    ET "A" school (1 year) Great Lakes
    ET "C" (Crypto) 3 months Mare Island (now closed IIRC)
    More Crypto school at Lackland AFB TX (3 months)
    Shore duty (women weren't on ships then, except Hospital ships if HM rating)
    China Lake NWC (2 years)
    Pearl Harbor (approx 2 yr 8 mo)

There's one thing I learned from working with, for, and over, doctors and as a patient over the years, is that a medical degree doesn't mean you are an expert in everything. Some might think they are infallible, and many do know a lot, but most can't do their own research on every subject in their field.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    There's one thing I learned from working with, for, and over, doctors and as a patient over the years, is that a medical degree doesn't mean you are an expert in everything. Some might think they are infallible, and many do know a lot, but most can't do their own research on every subject in their field.
    When I went searching for a GP I looked for the "Sports medicine" docs.
    Found one in 2009 who is a bout 15 years younger than I and was the "team doctor" for the several of the high schools.
    (High schools here don't have a "dedicated" team doctor, but I think you know what I mean).
    Anyway he's still my GP.

Try working a diabetic diet with Fodmap diet. Can have it in one not on the other. Brian
    Brian

Have to ask the question: will eating right, exercising sufficiently, thinking good thoughts, make those added years in the nursing home worthwhile?