Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: if you want to get confused

guess it depends on your Oreos. A friend used to have cows that were black on both ends and white in the middle. He called them Oreos.

They had fur and think originally from Scotland.

Waynes father said if its not Scottish then its Crrrrraaap.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Don't eat crap
    Burn as much as you put in
    Stay reasonably active
    Everything else is just BS
    JMHO
    A woman who was ... umm pretty hefty, shall we say..., asked me how I kept my weight down.
    My reply: "I watch what I eat, (minimal junk and NO SODA), how much I eat (portion control..caloric intake vs expenditure), and I try to do the 30 minutes (minimum) a day of exercise. It's not as easy as falling off a log, but if you stay ahead of the curve it's not overwhelmingly difficult to keep your weight down."

And she looked at me, and said, "Well, other than all that what do you do?"

Me: "There is no 'other than that'. What I told you, that's it; the only way to get control of it, that's what you have to do."

And to paraphrase from the Bible: "And the woman went away sad."
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    A woman who was ... umm pretty hefty, shall we say..., asked me how I kept my weight down.
    My last year of college I needed a Health Science class for my degree. One that appealed to me was Weight Control Through Diet & Exercise.

The main point of the class was what a person eats and how their body is used consumes it will determine that body's physical condition.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My last year of college I needed a Health Science class for my degree. One that appealed to me was Weight Control Through Diet & Exercise.

The main point of the class was what a person eats and how their body is used consumes it will determine that body's physical condition.

jtk
    Yep and metabolism too... and "body type" has something a lot to do with it.. and genes too.
    It's not easy keeping one's weight down, and God knows it gets more difficult the older you get, but you have to start somewhere, and you have to keep at it.
    I know most people here have seen this: "If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself."
    I can't keep from getting old, but I'm going to do all that I can to keep from becoming decrepit.

likely more to it than that. Stress for some and Cortisol. Menopause for some a reality and whatever else.

The old guy said he never needed to make exercise. I told him he had great genetics but he still needed exercise. At 84 he walked like an old man. His sons did the work around the shop and farm. My neighbour a lady cares for her property and at 92 1/2 still walks better than he did. She works on her property and has since she lost her husband. Well ahead of most people her age from the work.

Old guy was fit and strong from plowing fields and other farm work likely at 12 -14 years old whatever age it was. He was very powerful. Then we get older and its more and more important to keep moving and doing. I bugged him for years that he would not shake hands and squeeze me hard like some ego people do. He told me its cause he would crush me. Days before he died he held out his hand and told me to squeeze and he did as hard as he could. He had no power left but remembered and showed me.

Following all advices, "If it tastes good, spit it out! When you were a child, four letter words were dirty words. When you are past forty, three letter words are dirty words, but they do come in a group of three. ALL YOU CAN EAT! Used to be that every waitress at any buffet with in twenty miles knew my name. Having lost 42 pounds over the last six years, I can tell you moderation is the best diet. Best summation ever, eat moderately, exercise regularly, and get run over by the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Burn as much as you put in
    Or don't put in more than you can burn. Exercise is a lousy way to lose weight, compared to not eating it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Following all advices, "If it tastes good, spit it out! When you were a child, four letter words were dirty words. When you are past forty, three letter words are dirty words, but they do come in a group of three. ALL YOU CAN EAT! Used to be that every waitress at any buffet with in twenty miles knew my name. Having lost 42 pounds over the last six years, I can tell you moderation is the best diet. Best summation ever, eat moderately, exercise regularly, and get run over by the bus.
    I saw it on a T-shirt: Eat Right. Exercise. Die anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    Or don't put in more than you can burn. Exercise is a lousy way to lose weight, compared to not eating it in the first place.
    It's a little more complicated. Exercise improves muscle tone which inreases resting metabolism which burns calories at a higher rate. Exercise also lowers blood pressure, relieves stress, increases mental well being and lots of other stuff. But yeah, if you run or walk in front of a bus, it's not very healthy at all.

I watched more you tubes and it only got worse five in a row why oatmeal is bad starting with gundry and all I put on bad. Ive eaten it for 36 years here every day. Few times a year go for bacon and eggs and am in heaven. Im 155 and can lift one side of my combination machine that weighs 1,280 lbs. All these guys are tanned some body builders perfect hair and neatly trimmed beards some in suits and ties and and. I did see one oatmeal guy call out another for stuff he says and basically said the other guy is full of it. some or more are doctors as well.

Its just about not worth the time to pay attention. One customer from the music store when I was a kid said forget about stuff drink beer and be happy. While I got message it it was too simple and he never said what kind of beer.

Going out to throw in more firewood, will watch out for the buss.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    It's a little more complicated. Exercise improves muscle tone which inreases resting metabolism which burns calories at a higher rate. Exercise also lowers blood pressure, relieves stress, increases mental well being and lots of other stuff. But yeah, if you run or walk in front of a bus, it's not very healthy at all.
    And if you run 30 minutes a day you live 3 years longer but you spend 2 years of it running!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I'm not saying exercise is bad for you. I'm saying it's a lousy way to lose weight and the research shows that. Diets alone aren't much better. Losing weight is tough for people. I'm in the age group where you really find out what's been working for people and what catches up with you. Not that that bus doesn't come along sooner or later.

Just to add to the confusion, what works for one person, does not always work for another.
    So when you get diet/exercise advise, know it's probably not right for you, because it wasn't tailored for you.
    Eating healthy and staying active are good foundations but beyond that, everyone has to follow what their own body needs.

"All these guys know their stuff and are experts but the fact is they have never contradicted each other more."
    An "Expert is anyone from out of town with video presentation."

Again, those YouTube videos have nothing to do with science. There's always some "evil" those people are focusing on. If it's not oatmeal it's corn syrup.

What's becoming apparent is strength training is more important than cardio. I think that's why so many people struggle with losing weight doing cardio. It's much better to lift weights and do a little less cardio. Of course, one must be sensible about it. Lift something heavy, but not so heavy that it's going to hurt you.

What adds to the confusion is the fact there's no real money to be made from people eating healthy and exercising. People will pay big money to lose weight, so companies are happy to sell them snake oil and mythology. Sometimes it actually works, albeit only temporarily. So people buy more snake oil and embrace more myths.

Still more confusion comes from what we were told in school. All those Food Pyramids had more to do with corporate lobbying than science. The first pyramids didn't have enough dairy, so the National Dairy Council was sure to fix that. Then the ranchers wanted the meat block to be bigger, etc., etc. Shoot, over the years I learned almost everything I was taught in school is completely bogus. George Washington didn't chop down a cherry tree. Betsy Ross didn't make the first American flag. Paul Revere's ride was nothing like the poem describes. And Columbus was a pretty evil guy. No wonder we're so cynical.