Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: if you want to get confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Most ,if not all scholars rate Smith highly. Lot of people have fantasies, at least the live ones. Here’s a question , why do so many
    north people think the Pilgrims got to this continent first ? The “ Gentleman” on the voyage to Virginia didn’t want to do any work.
    Smith decreed , “ he who does not work ,will not eat”.
    Similar to what scholars used to write about Columbus, what they wrote about John Smith simply wasn't accurate. The whole Pocahontas incident never happened. That story was one of many Smith made up in his journals. He also wrote about escapades with multiple, young native girls. None of it really happened.

I gather the local tribes were helpful at first, but eventually became reluctant.

They most definitely did NOT prepare for winter. 80% of the colonists died between 1609 and 1610; mostly from starvation. With all the digging, the colonists did find iron pyrite which they "foolishly" believed was real gold. I'm not sure when they realized it wasn't gold, but they spent all their time digging up the fools gold and loading it onto ships.

Sorry, none of this adds up to Smith being a good leader. Like most of the history we were taught in school, the early historical accounts of the Jamestown Settlement were contrived fiction.

OK, we've drifted here, but this is the Off Topic forum. :-)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-10-2024 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    You may find this inteesting

The Cancer act uk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Act_1939
    I think we could use it today - except rename it to: The Scam Act

Diet and exercise. These two things have a huge impact on being healthy and having a good quality of life as we get older. I don't believe these can be argued.
    What can be argued is what actually is entailed in those two vague terms. It comes to personal choice of dealing with the consequences of our decisions of what we put in vs what we get out.

For me, when I eat junk food (highly processed or food with high sugar and carbs), I feel terrible. When I'm eating greens and or whole foods, I feel better mentally and physically throughout the day, and sleep better too. I'm convinced, without having to watch a YT video promoting someone else's agenda.

Blog Entries
    Someone probably already said this but when it comes to diet and health care, listen to your doctor. Not your fellow woodworkers and internet gurus.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Doctors dont know about diet at least past were not taught about it. 3 million of us or some number dont have a family doctor here. Too busy bringing in people from all over than paying attention to us. My family doctor closed his practice as another retired and he didnt want to carry the place. For a while he was about 30 or more lbs overweight and used to say he wished his numbers were like mine. Me older than him.

The issue is I had watched some you tubes that started with why I should not be eating steel cut oats to lectins in beans and on and on. The science is increasing and learning more constantly. After the diet stuff that left me confused as so many smart people contradicted themselves then went on to others like the doctor that There are some very good interviews.

Last night watched Sabine Hoosenfelder saying she had digestive issues and the experts could not figure it out so she did. She said you have to be an "f,ing" chemist to understand what is in your food. Im not sure what she is, Scientist maybe. So she found a thing in some food and able to 95 percent eliminate her issue all from one additive that was in food.

I saw a great interview with the Doctor who identified Nitric Oxide. He said people that died had stuff in common and set out to solve an idea and took 30 years for that. I saw him on another interview last night and super smart and honest about stuff they have not figured out but are working on. Nice to see the dedication to his craft. Same with people that are studying and learning about the Endocannibidial system.

I eat well enough but not opposed to better just ended up no idea what that is. Used to run hobby level and take care of a few properties. Seemed best to let running go and have set up the racing bike on the rollers and dabbling in that a bit, hobby level but its good.

Left the food stuff for a while and will revisit it.