Thread: The Dummy's Guide to European Bandsaw Setup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Erik,
    Who made Agazzani’s? And what would make an upper thrust bearing wear out faster than the lower? I’ve really been super happy with the euro guides but I don’t experience with many others.
    Thanks! Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Erik,
    Who made Agazzani’s? And what would make an upper thrust bearing wear out faster than the lower? I’ve really been super happy with the euro guides but I don’t experience with many others.
    Thanks! Jeff
    Sounds like "insufficient flywheel seal convexity" to me, (as per the Centauro SP manual.)
    ...or should I say a "Classico" example of tires which have withstood the test of time........ here's wishing you a happy new year Bob!

If you dress your tires flat like I did, or indeed wear off the apex of the crown by disregarding or simply not knowing where the apex is,
    whilst running narrow blades, then that will be the result.

No beam tension from the blade is what you could call it, well it's something like where both sides of the fence can meet,
    though you could just call a spade a spade.
    Those tires dressed like so, is a sure recipe for blade set compression, and that's counting running wider blades with teeth, strictly off the edge as per suggestions, the blade will be damaged with only a few cuts done.
    Likewise, tracking narrow blades with teeth on the tire, will also do the same.
    (I'd used that blade for the last tire dressing attempts, so those few test runs, no cutting involved, were enough to compress the set on this blade)

There's also some interesting things to note here, likely more than I can think of, but to mention a few things...
    along with absolutely no beam tension whatsoever, none, zilch!
    There's also the evidence of spelching on the underside of the cut, if you see that, then running standard blades might prove to be an expense a new user might not have accounted for, same deal with an m42 blade which didn't seem any different in that regards to me.

Not sure if there's much point in discussing some of the points like a clear pinged note from the pluck test,
    Something which might be quite revealing, what I can't achieve now, since I haven't much rubber to play with anymore, I didn't get to experiment.
    Having dressed these tires about a dozen times, it was just about possible to get the crowned profile on the rubber,
    Which would be plain sailing now for me after learning my lessons.

I reckon there might be something into hearing a clear note, like a crisp tire apex, which one simply cannot discount the possible importance of, after seeing
    how bad one could possibly make their saw run, and completely change matters with a bit of tire dressing.

https://youtu.be/UosmDQxn09c?si=VwzLuvxZc5rkm1Wn

No need for a new thrust guide anymore, me old welded one will do fine.

All the best
    Happy new year
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 01-05-2024 at 2:32 AM.