Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Domino, Domino, everywhere a Domino

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Why does it always have to do with money? From a production standpoint where labor costs are involved, if it makes sense for the business owner, fine. However, from a hobbyist standpoint, if you have the means and enjoy using the tool, regardless if it's or a Festool Domino or a $550 hand plane from Lie Nielsen vs a home-made jig and 69 ryobi router or a used rusty no-name hand plane picked up at a garage sale, if you enjoy using it, go for it.
    We used it in business because it was faster. As a matter of fact, they bought me two of them, This way a helper could plunge parts and I could plunge parts.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    We used it in business because it was faster. As a matter of fact, they bought me two of them, This way a helper could plunge parts and I could plunge parts.

Well, if it saves time, it pays for itself very quickly. Look at the plumbing industry. Years ago, water lines were run in threaded pipe and it took for ever to plumb new builds. So copper came into the picture and sweating fittings instead of threading pipe ends was much faster. And there was some attempts at fittings pre-loaded with solder, crip connectors and shark bite. Now, pex is becoming the standard as running it is very efficient labor wise and cost-effective material as well.

The evolution of ways of working, tools, automation, etc is all driven by efficiency and cost, however in the hobby world, it's driven by enjoyment!!!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Blog Entries
    I had no choice but to go along with the Domino.Personally, If I want a high end piece, I want M&T, not Domino…

Now ai have done both M&T and Domino. I have seen a Domino fail, but haven’t witnesses a M&T fail. Go figure…

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I had no choice but to go along with the Domino.Personally, If I want a high end piece, I want M&T, not Domino…

Now ai have done both M&T and Domino. I have seen a Domino fail, but haven’t witnesses a M&T fail. Go figure…
    Really Jack, there is not one iota of difference. It's simply a loose tenon. We've made those for a very, very long time. I've seen poorly done integral tenons fail, I've seen poorly done loose tenons fail.

Poor joints are poor joints.

I'll admit, I'm really not looking forward to making this 3/4"x 11 1/2" through tenon....
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Really Jack, there is not one iota of difference. It's simply a loose tenon. We've made those for a very, very long time. I've seen poorly done integral tenons fail, I've seen poorly done loose tenons fail.

Poor joints are poor joints.

I'll admit, I'm really not looking forward to making this 3/4"x 11 1/2" through tenon....

You can explain there’s no difference on the 700 barstools that failed at Chili’s restaurants

So really…

I can complain when I had to set up shapers to correct problems from the Domino..

I know it’s tough to swallow that that kinda money still isn’t a perfect tool…
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-17-2024 at 2:31 PM.

Are you suggesting that the tool should replace the user?

It's a loose tenon (prove me wrong). If it's poorly fitted, undersized, or otherwise poorly executed. That's a user issue.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Are you suggesting that the tool should replace the user?

It's a loose tenon (prove me wrong). If it's poorly fitted, undersized, or otherwise poorly executed. That's a user issue.
    You're not wrong Mike. This thread as ventured into pedantic.

Blog Entries
    Domino doesn’t go in but one way..

you likee you can usee for everything. Okay with me..
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-17-2024 at 3:15 PM.

I think someone mentioned glue failure earlier, having 2 glue joints. I think this would be mitigated by glue selection, if you are worried about 30/50/100 years from now use hide glue or similar and it will be repairable like any other glued joint.

FWIW I own a DF500 and like it. I get no joy out of chopping mortises by hand so its great even if you are just simply replacing a hollow chisel mortiser (like Derek's pics earlier).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    You're not wrong Mike. This thread as ventured into pedantic.
    At this point, I'm going with user error.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I do not own a Domino, nor have I ever used one.
    Many people that have responded do this type of work for a living, and to be honest, I'm envious. These folks know multiple ways to produce an M&T Joint, and do not limit themselves to just one method.
    I make "traditional", integrated, M&T joints. That's just what I like to do. Loose tenon joinery is every bit as strong, as long as it is sized properly, and follows the rules. To many magazine articles and tests have proved that through the years.
    I think that one of the things we forget, folks that have been doing this for years, is just how hard it is to make an M&T joint.
    It is a very exact joint, in all three axis. Everything has to as close to perfect as can be, or the joint is weakened, or you have a lot of sanding and filing to do. If a Domino helps someone achieve this, and make something useful for themself, or a family member, then have a blast.
    As for the cost, that's just not relevant. We all have some form of past time, or hobby, that we spend too much money on. I've wasted more money shooting at clay pigeons, than someone will ever spend on a Domino, and I'm not even very good at it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Here is another helpful use of the Domino DF500. Through mortices in chair legs, used with (still shaping) integrated tenons in chair seats ...

The legs are curved, and the mortices are 30mm long (x10mm wide), consequently the positioning needed the jig (as the maximum length for dominos is 24mm) ...

The tenons are integral, rather than loose, as the seats are hollowed, and maximum strength is needed. These were hand sawn as they are compound angles ...

The use of the Domino here was key.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    It's a quick easy way to cut a oval shaped slot. If you eat soup with a fork, Is the fork the problem?

The 700 worked well here fixing a poor design and a even worse repair attempt(s)
    IMG_20210319_104312_208.jpgIMG_20210318_090805_540.jpg

IMG_20210318_090805_542.jpg
    IMG_20210319_104312_192.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post

Thank you for that.