Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions for moving woodworking shop ?

I am moving 200 kms

I will look into this, never heard of a drop bend trailer.

unfortunately I already have the shipping container and will need to get it moved but thanks for the ideas

I have not ruled out the trailer idea, but will need to rent a truck to pull it. Thanks

confirmed with Uhaul by phone and on their web site, they do not rent trucks in Ontario Canada with hydraulic lift gates. My perfect solution would be to find a box van with lift gate rental ;-)

As I see your situation, I would load and secure what equipment you can to reach the 3000lb capacity and then have the container moved to the new location. At the same time, I'd get a Penske truck with lift gate and load it the day before the container move with the balance of equipment and whatever else you can fit in the truck. Follow the container transport truck with your Penske truck and then unload the balance of the equipment from the lift gate truck into the container.
    Last edited by Dan Barber; 01-02-2024 at 3:13 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Lift gate is not overkill for me but a 25ft truck is. I may have to bite the bullet and rent a 25ft to get a lift gate. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I consider U-Haul the last place to rent a truck, except for in the same city. You can get a Penske with a lift gate, no problem. With Penske, you get a reliable truck. None of us can guess weights since you tell us so little about the machinery. Just go to the Grizzly website and reference off their machinery.

Maybe with their trucks but their trailers are nice. They are built to handle the abuse of people not knowing what they are doing. their trucks may be light duty but the trailer I rent to move my quad around from time to time is solid aluminum with high walls and thick plate. I looked up the cost It was in the neighborhood of 14,000 for a 5x8' single axle

I had to Google 200km see what distance is. I also have shop to move that’s 2.5 hr drive by car doing speed limit. My intent to rent one of those Hydraulic trailers. Where the bed will lower to ground level, then use pallet Jack to move around. But those trailers are HD so guessing at least 3/4 ton truck will be needed. There’s lots good ideas here in this post,following. I would post pick of trailer but can’t from my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    I had to Google 200km see what distance is. I also have shop to move that’s 2.5 hr drive by car doing speed limit. My intent to rent one of those Hydraulic trailers. Where the bed will lower to ground level, then use pallet Jack to move around. But those trailers are HD so guessing at least 3/4 ton truck will be needed. There’s lots good ideas here in this post,following. I would post pick of trailer but can’t from my phone.
    You absolutely need a 3/4 or one ton truck to pull the drop trailers...my local rental place will not even rent them to anyone that doesn't show up physically with an appropriate tow vehicle. They are surprisingly small relative to cargo volume, too, likely because of the gear required to raise/lower the weight capacities that they provide.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had to move mill and lathe when I rented one, even with 3/4 truck I still had drive slow. But sure was nice to unload using pallet jack

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Maybe with their trucks but their trailers are nice. They are built to handle the abuse of people not knowing what they are doing. their trucks may be light duty but the trailer I rent to move my quad around from time to time is solid aluminum with high walls and thick plate. I looked up the cost It was in the neighborhood of 14,000 for a 5x8' single axle
    My experience with U-Haul was getting a local truck that died about 5 miles from the rental place. 2nd time was on a long delivery to a church 240 miles away. I explained it would be a 500 mile trip. Loaded the truck and it was filled to the gills. Got on the interstate and discovered it would not go over 50mph. Now this was before cell phones and it was a mess. I picked up a Penske, loaded from the U-Haul to the Penske and was only 3 hours late. The contractor there was pissed, but not as much as me. U-Haul didn't have to fool me the third time.

look into renting a forklift on both ends. buy a new pallet jack from Princess Auto $400 or search for a used one local. load pallets in truck use pallet jack to move to the front of truck. This will allow you to use a smaller truck.
    Ron

Pallet jacks run about $120 US used locally. Cheaper than renting and there are a bunch of them listed.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Buy a used pallet jack or engine crane or even a gantry crane.
    The trailer is a drop bed or lift bed. sunbelt rentals has them. single or two axles. Others may require you to rent the scissor lift with the trailer. leave the scissor lift at the shop then use the trailer. Return the lift on the trailer when done.
    Bill D.
    https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equip...r-10k/0241700/