Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '24 Resolution: Learn how to close Rubio cans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    Yep, it's called Sheen Plus. Originally you'd apply 2c oil for matte, then add maintenance oil to give it a touch of sheen and you'd be maxed out. Now you can skip the maintenance oil and go to the sheen plus which is advertised as a satin finish. Stiffly priced at $50 more per 1.3l order over the cost of the pure. If you are looking for higher levels of sheen I still think other options are better, but I like that this is easy for me to hand off to clients with little instruction on how to use.

Thanks Bryan and Jim. $50 more? The Pure is twice the price/square foot of most other finishes. Simpler, mostly bulletproof, but hard to justify another $50. I switched to Osmo last year for more sheen, even gloss though I haven't tried it. Osmo's not as durable as RM, but for many applications it's fine, and just as easy to use.

John

For what it's worth, since you've already applied a coat of 2c the sheen coat goes a long ways with a little bit. $230 for the 1.3l container so you definitely want to make it count!

When I've had a problem with closing lids on some liquid products (haven't tried Rubio yet) I punch a small hole in the lid to release the pressure, close it and then cover the hole with a drop of glue or something. But for finishing products, I use cubitainers, https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Parmer-A...ps%2C95&sr=8-1

same principle as stop-loss bags but less expensive and I had some around for other uses anyway. Square bottoms so they can stand up.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Mark, thanks for the tip on cleaning the SL Bags. I used Daley’s Shark-fin oil on the VG fir trim in my last house and the cherry gunnels and decking on my Guide boat. The empty bags have enough…skim dried to put me off trying to refill them. I’ll try the acetone, but need a new funnel. One thing or another. Also, this is a timely thread as I just picked up the 350ml jug of Pure at a mere $60. My SL bags are for the quart size. I will check to see if they are offered in smaller sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Bryan, I love Rubio, but their cans are poorly designed, especially for an expensive product. For part B, I have to cut the top of the can with a tin snips to get the last of it out.
    Like Phillip I use Stop Loss bags to store part A. But it's very difficult to transfer it to the bag. The bags have a tiny throat and Rubio being thick (it drains very slowly from the funnel), I get air wanting to gush suddenly back out of the bag, spraying Rubio with it. Be warned!
    Thanks for the heads up on the spray Mark. I remembered this comment and read the instructions about inflating the bag with air before filling, and then promptly disregarded the instructions. I kept all air out of the bag and poured a full liter of Rubio into it. There was zero burps along the way and it actually seemed to create a bit of suction once I got going that was sucking the Rubio in faster than at the start. Worked perfect.