Thread: Copying pictures

Blog Entries

Copying pictures

I take pictures with my phone and upload to another woodworking site. I sometimes upload the pictures to my tablet, but If I try to reuse the picture from my tablet somewhere else it has an error. Is there something are doing to change the format so it’s won’t load elsewhere?

I left that forum because of way too many hobbyist and I was labeled as an eristic. I feel like they
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-01-2024 at 12:26 PM.

Jack, we need more info. What kind of phone, what kind of tablet, what software are you using on the tablet to view the photos?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

If it's a JPG image and within the file size limits of the forum software, there should be no issue using it multiple times in multiple places. I agree with Dan that having more information will be helpful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    It says saved as Safari. Does mean anything. I’m not a computer guy..

Oh it's an Apple product. There's your problem

I'm just kidding, I'm not an Apple guy, so I won't be of any help. I'm sure there are other fruit users who will chime in.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Iphones store photos as a .heic format file. They now work most places, but older software, like the software this forum runs on, predates that format so can't use it. You need to use the "save as" function to change the format to .jpg (perhaps some other will work, but jpeg is safe). For this forum you probably also, at the same time, need to reduce the file size from "original" to large, medium or small. (medium is usually fine).

One of the many reasons I'd be happy to contribute to the cost of a software upgrade here!

Wow....what a pain with file formats. Can someone explain why Apple uses this different picture format. I am not an Apple user so do not understand.

I had to look up the meaning of eristic. And learned something new!

Eristic is an adjective that means an argument that aims to disagree with another one, rather than to explain or discover the truth. Learn how to use eristic in a sentence, see synonyms and related words, and find translations in different.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Wow....what a pain with file formats. Can someone explain why Apple uses this different picture format. I am not an Apple user so do not understand.
    Samsung phones can also use a heif format that makes it difficult for other devices to view photos. The heif format will allow you to store more photos in considerably less space than jpeg format. I suspect that Apple is doing something similar.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Wow....what a pain with file formats. Can someone explain why Apple uses this different picture format.
    It's the equivalent of "camera RAW" with DSLRs and mirrorless cameras and allows for photographic parameters to be edited after the photo is taken, such as depth of field (f-stop), etc. In other words, it supports the demand for photographic (and video) post processing capabilities that shooting directly to JPG does not permit. As Lee points out, the same type of thing is in higher end Android devices, too, because at this point, a lot of "more serious" photography and video production is coming right out of these things we carry with us when we are awake.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Samsung phone not a problem, Apple tablelet would have to be the problem, but it’s when I upload the pictures from the site they don’t work elsewhere. Mainly just that woodworking forum..

Are they still a problem after being converted to jpegs? That would be pretty weird.

As to why, it's because it's a much more capable and useful format, carrying a lot more information than a jpeg in less space. You can change how your iphone saves photos by going to settings-->camera-->formats and changing the "camera capture" setting from "high efficiency" to "most compatible". This will change the default format to jpeg, with the downside of much larger file sizes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Samsung phone not a problem, Apple tablelet would have to be the problem, but it’s when I upload the pictures from the site they don’t work elsewhere. Mainly just that woodworking forum..
    When you download a photo check to see what the format is going to be before you save it. Make sure your device says jpeg format. I see a lot of other formats such as png and Webp Image when I attempt to save any photo from the web. Your device should allow you to change the file type before you save it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

More recent Apple Pro cameras also have a ProRAW format. I use that for photos like sunrises and sunsets, as well as pictures that would look awesome after photo editing like with Lightroom, ON1, etc... They are superior, but compatibility with other people's devices is sometimes a concern.

The size limit is often an issue here with my iPhone 14 Pro Max camera's large image sizes. And no way that I could use my mirrorless camera's images here without reducing their size (62 megapixels), and converting to jpg format. But I can easily reduce their size in Lightroom or Photoshop. I'm not sure, but I would think Microsoft Photo could do the same thing. Or e-mail it to yourself and choose small or medium as the photo size. That should make things work.

Long-winded explanation, but as phone cameras get better, their image resolution and file sizes are increasing, and sometimes that becomes an issue when posting. And better quality formats don't always play nice. JPG compatibility is pretty universal, though.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 01-11-2024 at 8:49 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.