Thread: Touch-up Paint, Powermatic Gold

Touch-up Paint, Powermatic Gold

Hello all,

Has anyone had any luck with off the shelf rattle-can paint that is close to the PM Gold? I was planning on ordering through PM but the 12oz can was $38.00 plus $20.00 shipping to California. I would like to touch up my 66 rails, but not that bad!

Thanks in advance.

It depends on which Powermatic gold you need. There was at least one shade of metallic gold and at least one shade of mustard yellow. There is some paint information here. parts - Powermatic - VintageMachinery.org Knowledge Base (Wiki) Your best bet might be to take a small part from your saw into your local paint store and have them custom mix a quart of paint and put it in spray cans. Though that may not end up being any less expensive than the rattle can from PM.

An auto paint store can mix up a can of spray paint to match. Do you have a RAL number?
    Bill D

I saw RAL 1036 and 1004 being mentioned.
    Bill D

It is a 2002 PM66 and I believe it is the mustard color gold. I like the idea of popping off a rail and taking it to an Auto paint store. It appears PM sells a touch up pen for $25.50 plus $20.00 shipping. It still seem out of line. Let's see what the auto paint store comments on.

Touching up gold PM machines can take you down a rabbit hole but my only experience is with the 80's and 90's metallic gold and I repainted complete machines that were tore down. If it were me I would leave it or paint the rail black.

That vintage will be the mustard color (non-metallic) paint.

FWIW I have a 2001 PM66 and I bought a color-matched quart from Sherwin Williams last year. About $40. I painted the rails with a foam roller (new paint on rails 1 & 3 in this photo; original paint on rails 2 & 4. Did not paint the guide tube). I thinned the paint with Penetrol to get it to lay down better.

IMG_2758.jpg

I had the store color match the backside of the dust door so the new paint looks a bit fresher.

I'll be interested to see what you end up finding, given your budget.
    Last edited by Marc Fenneuff; 01-02-2024 at 1:22 PM.