Thread: Finishing 4 piece corner computer desk

Finishing 4 piece corner computer desk

Desk is made up of two triangle bases, center section with pull out tray for the keyboard and the top. Assembled using threaded inserts so I can take it apart and put it back together.

I really don't want to stain and finish all the stuff you can't see when it is assembled, but I need to don't I? I should at last seal the underside of the top also? Plan on using Arm-R-seal. Can I just use one coat of shellac on the underside of the top vs three coats of Arm-R-seal?

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

You do need to seal the bottoms, but I see no issue with using the shellac for that. Even though it's not great with standing water, it's actually pretty good with dealing with moisture. That said, it will not take you any longer to put one coat of the Arm-R-Seal on the bottom than applying the shellace outside of dry time. You could even apply the oil based product on the bottom and flip it onto little blocks with nails or screws sticking up (or the common plastic pyramids) so you can get to finishing the edges and top right away after putting finish on the bottom.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Shellac has lower moisture transmission than most finish products, so it would be a good choice for sealing stuff you can't see.

FWIW, I rarely finish stuff no one will see. The guys who made the finest 17th century furniture didn't. My only exception is the bottom of table tops; I always apply at least a couple of coats of finish to help stabilize them from warping. If I do finish the stuff no one will see, I typically spray a coat of shellac.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You do need to seal the bottoms, but I see no issue with using the shellac for that. Even though it's not great with standing water, it's actually pretty good with dealing with moisture. That said, it will not take you any longer to put one coat of the Arm-R-Seal on the bottom than applying the shellace outside of dry time. You could even apply the oil based product on the bottom and flip it onto little blocks with nails or screws sticking up (or the common plastic pyramids) so you can get to finishing the edges and top right away after putting finish on the bottom.
    Jim, 1 coat of arm r seal would be enough on the bottom? Thanks Brian
    Brian

IMHO, yes...the goal on the bottom is just to seal it for better stability. The first coat of the varnish does that. On the edges and top, the subsequent coats are only to develop the look and "durability".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    IMHO, yes...the goal on the bottom is just to seal it for better stability. The first coat of the varnish does that. On the edges and top, the subsequent coats are only to develop the look and "durability".
    Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Don't seal the bottom before you stain and topcoat the show surfaces. Shellac can be runny and if it sneaks around to the show face before it's stained it will mess up the staining process.

And who says the nobody sees underside of a table? Or the back of a case piece for that matter. If you just want to move it off the showroom floor then sure, but if it's going to be around a while then more surfaces deserve your love.