Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Waxing jointer tables?

Blog Entries
    Bowling alley wax as soft as Johnson’s?

I have a can of the minwax (the pink stuff, right?). It's OK but I miss my Johnson's. I'm ordering a can of that Lundmark to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I used the same can of Johnson's paste wax I bought in 1993 for all my machines. It ran out only a few months ago. It always kept the rust away and I NEVER had a problem with wax getting on any the wood. I just let it dry and buffed it thoroughly.

I tried to find Minwax paste wax, but nobody has in stock locally and it can't be shipped to my address. Just yesterday I picked up a can of bowling alley wax at my local Woodcraft. There are many treatments for cast iron. It appears they work well, but so does paste wax and it's a lot less expensive.

FYI: Johnsons paste wax is RIP. No longer made.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Gone for awhile, why I’m curious if one is as soft as Johnson’s paste wax. Some of the other waxes I’ve actually had to take a heat gun to in winter to soften it up.

johnsons till it ran out, miss the smell then used Beauty shine water base carnuba that I was given where i learned to detail. Pink 502 total carnuba. Its dried out now so just use parafin. Shop has hit 94 percent humidity a few times in bad summer times. I saw a few Cumulo Nimbus clouds.

I saw a few Cumulo Nimbus clouds.[/QUOTE]
    Warren, do you work in a blimp hanger? I hear they can get light fog inside.
    Bill D.

The rust subject has come up a number of times. A few years ago someone made the suggestion of using magnetic vinyl sign material. It took a bit of searching to get a sheet big enough to cover my table saw (24" wide is easy to come by) but I found some and now use that. Since doing so I never have a problem with rust. Every cast iron table has it's own cut to size cover. They are nice because when you remove them to use the machine you can stick them to the side of the machine. As for making wood slide easier, I've used Johnson's in the past and when the can is empty I'll look for something else. But i rarely apply it.

HI Bill
    wish I did then id have more room. The old guy said the shop he ran was as large as an aircraft hanger or maybe he said football field. He showed me once where it was and it was pretty close to where I grew up.

One thing about rust on machines they wont all be the same as diff quality steel. Ive seen stuff soaking wet a few times but over all the machines put up with it pretty well.

I was glad to hear that Hanger One in Sunnyvale will be fully restored. I think Google will pay for it and get to use a few acres for themselves. I do like the doors.
    BilLD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paste wax works well and I used it for decades, that said I switched to Silber Gleit from Felder and it works much better.

It honestly resembles a Slushie drink, comes in a 1 litre can which is a lifetime supply.

Regards, Rod

I've been seriously pondering the use of Carbon Method 9.... Now that I have a 'new' water stain on my new jointer, I'm going to order some and coat all my machines.

YouTuber - Brent's Woodworking posted a 9 month, post application review not too long ago. The stuff seems to work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0oA...Y25bs&index=33

https://carbonmethod.com/

So to summarize, we use every kind of wax and nobody actually has finishing problems as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    So to summarize, we use every kind of wax and nobody actually has finishing problems as a result.
    Nobody admits to having finishing problems (or does any finishing). I personally don't do any finishing.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Every kind that doesn't have any silicone or water in it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute